The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Manila, Cambodia Laos & Thailand

Manila, Cambodia Laos & Thailand

Hey guys,

First things first. This may be boring as I'm no story writer. But here goes.

So my trip map starts with 2 nights in Manila, 2 in KL, 4 in Luang Prabang, 4 in Siem Reap, then about 3-6 nights on Koh Chang and then off to Pattaya for 5 nights before 1 night in BKK then the flight home.

So the trip starts this way. About a month ago an old girlfriend of mine messages me and says she has a friend who is looking for some friends with benefits action and send me a pic. I take one look and approve right away. I hear nothing from this one til about 2 weeks ago. We start chatting and would you believe we are both flying through Manila on the same day (on seperate flights, she's heading to the UK). So I rent a car and plan to drive us both down to the airport (about 2hrs). I message her the night before about 9pm saying I'll be at your house at 5am to pick you up. Yep all good she says though I'm out on a work function with free piss so I'll be hung over in the morning. All good I say. You can sleep on the way down.

I get there at 4:50am and send her text. Nothing. I send another text at 4:55. Nothing. So I call her at 5:00. Doesn't answer. I've got the car in gear about to pull away at 5:10 and she calls me. Oh shit my alarm didn't go off! Can you give me 10mins and I'll pack my stuff. She hadn't even packed her fucking bags. So she finally gets into the car and says "I have something else to tell you, I've left my passport at work. At this point I'm ready to tell her she's walking to the train station and will miss her flight.

We drive to her work, pick up her passport and I sit on 140km all the way down the freeway.

On the plus side, Sydney airport has just streamlined immigration. You just put your passport in then clear baggage check and you're through and being that I travel with just a backpack I'm through with ease.

We have a bit of overpriced and rubbish breakfast at Sydney Airport and sit down for a chat and coffee.

To be continued in Manila
    Food fishing and furballs

So on inspection at the airport this chick is pretty fine. I decide to let the whole thing slide. I contact the hotel in Makati and let them know I'll be there a bit late as my flight is delayed and to let my "partner" in the room. No problems and she's going to arrive 2-3hrs before me so I figure she's gunna be ready to go out when I get there.

I do a bit of googling and find out that that the average fare from Manila international is about 500pesos ($13aud). I clear the shit fight that is Manila customs (with the staff holding webcams up to your face) and exit the terminal. I've read that yellow metered taxis are the go. But out of curiosity I listen to one of the touts who is calling taxi and gesturing to me. I get a quote which is apparently a blanket charge across the airport of $2700peso ($70aud). I just look at him and walk away. I go across and get into the 1st yellow taxi. We head out the airport and he asks if I want to take the sky road and pay the tolls. I'm already late so I say yeah. Now keeping in mind the fare is supposed to be about $500peso we arrive and it's $960peso. And then the dude tells me to book a white taxi as they will only charge me $500peso on the way back.

I chuck the money at him and exit the taxi. Up to reception and yep, the girl has already checked in. All good so I head up and here she is butt ass naked in bed. I wake her up and being the gentleman I am don't jump her right away.

We are staying at the City Garden Grand Hotel which is less than 2mins walk to Burgos street (the apparent night life Area of Makati). Now even though I was there with this girl, if I wasn't? I'd be really, really disappointed. It's like 150m long with like a literal handful of bars and clubs. At the end of it you cross a road and there's a another few bars and a tittie bar down there but geez! So we exit the "nightlife area" and find this crazy little market area selling nice street food and there's a band murdering Guns n Roses and we have a few laughs.

We're both stuffed when we get back but after a shower each we perk up and don't finish with each other til about 2am. I wake up a little earlier than her because I'm still in work mode and wake up early. So we go at it again for another few hours and end up walking around Makati. Not a whole lot to see to be honest. And being a Sunday pretty much nothing is open except Maccas. I'm not eating that so I say surely the hotel will have a decent spread on. We decide to go and have the buffet. At $800peso each ($21aud) I expected it to be ok and being a 4 star hotel? I can only think of one shitter buffet and that was in this 3 star place in Danang. The food was rubbish. We ended up at Maccas.

So she had to leave that morning to fly onto London so we end up back in the room and another round ensues. She packs her gear and we see each other off saying we will meet up again when I get home. We have the "don't catch feelings" talk and seems we're both on the same page. Could be a good thing.

She leaves and I shed a tear (kidding) 5555 I head back up to the room and unleash the 8000 farts I've been
    holding in all night and morning in a display that kinda hurt my ass. Then I have a shower and think about what I'm going to do with the rest of the day. Usually I leave one of the swipe cards in the door so when I come home the room is nice and cold...but guess who has it. Not sure what that's gunna cost me yet.
    Distantpeak, PeteGill and OZZYGUY like this.

So what is this girl like Pete? Is she attractive.. or the type of girl you only shag if no one ever knows? ..55
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    She will be a bit off now her superstar Pacman lost the fight....55

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    So what is this girl like Pete? Is she attractive.. or the type of girl you only shag if no one ever knows? ..55
    Yeah she's quite pretty. 30yrs old, fit great body and from the time we spent together excluding the nightmare start seems to have her head screwed on. I reckon when I get home we will hang out again.
    Distantpeak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    She will be a bit off now her superstar Pacman lost the fight....55
    Nah she was Aussie mate, though it was a great experience sitting in a bar here, the street packed with locals all watching the fight from the road cheering on Manny everytime he threw a punch screaming "BOW! BOW BOW!" 555 they cleared out pretty quick when he lost though. All the bar girls said Horn cheated and I just agreed 555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Opps sorry got the girls mixed up. 55

Yeah the locals love the Pacman my Facebook feed has been overtaken by Pacman shit for days.

So I get ready and head out to try and find somewhere to watch the fight. In LOS you'd see signs up out the front of bars advertising things like that but not here so I walk up and down Burgos st trying to find a bar that's screening it. I end up walking down a few back streets and find a bikie bar mad dog motorcycle club and the place is packed and there's locals lining the streets. Entry was $300peso ($8aud) which included 3 beers. So I pull up a chair and watch the fight. All the locals are friendly and the bar girls are sweet. About round 8-9 Manny really starts putting some hurt on Horn and the locals absolutely love it cheering him on with every hit, glance and near miss. They all left pretty quick when the result was read out 555 I've had a few beers by now and need to eat so I check out the menu and it's all western food. It's only my 2nd day and I'm craving Filipino food so I get outta there and tell the bar girl I've been chatting with I'll see her later.

Off down some backstreets trying to find some local food and I stumbled on this little corner place full of locals. They wouldn't serve me, just ignored me. That's always pissed me off. I wasn't pissed, I was smiling etc. so I walked away with the shits and found another shop style place and ordered some chicken Adobo and another dish. The food was nice but I was thinking I probably would've paid 1/10 of that if I was served at the other place. Ahh well.

So I hear back to the hotel and hit the rooftop pool/bar. I was going to just have a quick swim then head out and try and see some sights but I seen the other side of the city up near Subic Bay and Malate covered in rain so I settled in at the bar and had a few more beers and a couple of cocktails. I decide I'll have a shower, head back to the bikie bar and see if the bar girl is keen to come out. So I'm chatting away to her and all is well til she asks me how long I'm staying. I say I'm off in the morning and she immediately loses interest. Must have wanted a ring or something 555 so I finish my beer and head back to the little market via Burgos st to see if there's any talent there, no, and have something eat and a couple of beers and call it a night. I passed a couple of freelancers on the way home but nothing worth taking back.

There's not much here in the way of in your face mongering, gotta say I didn't try and of the nightclub places on Burgos but they all just looked so shitty that I didn't bother. I reckon Malate must be better than here. If you came here for the sole purpose of picking up Filipino chicks you'd be disappointed.

Manila is a shit hole not my fav city thats for sure.

Internet dating in Date in Asia is the go IMO or the cubby ones out front of any Jollybee waiting for a feed.555
    peteman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Manila is a shit hole not my fav city thats for sure.

Internet dating in Date in Asia is the go IMO or the cubby ones out front of any Jollybee waiting for a feed.555
    Yeah i was chatting to a few on there and had some things lined up but there seems to be a lot of fake profiles on there. I'm leaving here today to KL for a couple of nights. I'm told the Beach Club is a good spot to tag a local so I'll check it out.

Air Asia being Air Asia have delayed the flight for 3hrs.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peteman View Post

bit unusual. i've used them a hell of a lot over the last 10 years and small delays have been quite minimal in that time.
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Yeah i was chatting to a few on there and had some things lined up but there seems to be a lot of fake profiles on there. I'm leaving here today to KL for a couple of nights. I'm told the Beach Club is a good spot to tag a local so I'll check it out.

Im leaving Chiang mai later today. Will be in KL airport at 8.55pm then back to Perth a few hours later with Air Asia. .

The delay would not have been with Air asia. I flywith them a lot without delays. However everytime we go through Manila there are delays sometimes over 5 hours. Its just Manila dosent mater what airline. We avoid Manila as much as we can when traveling to Phils.

Funny how we dont seam to get the delays out of Cebu.
    peteman likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    There's not much here in the way of in your face mongering, gotta say I didn't try and of the nightclub places on Burgos but they all just looked so shitty that I didn't bother. I reckon Malate must be better than here. If you came here for the sole purpose of picking up Filipino chicks you'd be disappointed.
    555 Makati is the business district, big expat population and is relatively safe with an international city feel, whereas Malate is regarded as dangerous. LA Cafe or Manila Bay Cafe (same place) is in Malate with reasonable live music catering for westerners, but not much else about and you can't just wander the streets re safety. A lot of Karaoke joints, but understand that they are expensive and I think focused on the Chinese market. There are some live music and clubs in Greenbelt in Makati, I think 3.

Was chatting with a guy last night in HK who lives in Makati and recommended Strums for good live music and a good vibe. Not far from Burgos.

Re transport, best option is Uber. I had 1.5 hour taxi ride to go the 8km or so to Makati and cost was less than 300 peso. Free Wifi at the airport can be used to order the car and picks up at a defined bay number. Very easy, efficient and cost effective.
    Last edited by Nomad; 4th July 2017 at 14:37.
    peteman likes this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Flight was delayed a further 1.5hrs leaving Manila so I arrived into KLIA2 at about 8:30pm. Got an Uber from the airport ($77 ringit) and arrived at the hotel at about 9:30ish. Checked into the Renaissance which has a nice view of the Petronas Towers and had a quick shower and headed out for something to eat. I asked the concierge where to get some local street for and he directed me to take 2 stops on the skytrain to Bukit Bitang. So I hopped off and followed my nose to Jalan Alor (food street). It's a pretty long strip choc full restaurants that have tables out the front cooking food behind them. You can get pretty much anything you want or would want to try there. So I sit down and have a feed and a few beers. After I'm done I head down around the corner onto the main road and feel like I've landed in Tel Aviv. There's people chanting the Koran on mini amplifiers with microphones and shisha bars, women dressed as ninjas and generally shadey guys everywhere. Not my scene and I exit back to the hotel. I was going to stick around and have a few beers but it was already 11:30pm and I was buggered.

Up at 7:30am and downstairs for brekky at the hotel. Googled a few things to do in KL and started walking towards the towers and the main park. Checked out the mall and it's food court, was kinda uninspired so had a coffee and searched for somewhere to have lunch. Found a place called Lot 10 which has a lower level food court and headed off there. Incidentally it was not far from Tel Aviv only 100m or so across the main road. Had some nice Kwai Teow with duck egg and a few beers. It's pretty hot and humid so heading back to the hotel for a swim and gearing up for Chinatown tonight at Petaling st. Have an early start in the morning with the Uber picking me up at 6:00am for my flight so probably a quite night with a few drinks at the beach club cafe that I stumbled across walking around today.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ Tora Tora Tora...oi veh....The Koran in Tel Aviv eh....555

Malaysia IS a Muslim country after all Khun Pete...555

Bukit Bitang is my fave area of KL....and you found the best food street there in Jalan Alor...great Hawker/pan-asian food at very reasonable prices...

You didn't try The Beach Club or The Thai Club then Pete?...
    peteman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    ^ Tora Tora Tora...oi veh....The Koran in Tel Aviv eh....555

Malaysia IS a Muslim country after all Khun Pete...555

Bukit Bitang is my fave area of KL....and you found the best food street there in Jalan Alor...great Hawker/pan-asian food at very reasonable prices...

You didn't try The Beach Club or The Thai Club then Pete?...
    555 yeah I know. I'm heading to the Beach Club later tonight either before or after Chinatown. I've booked a room which includes free drinks from 5-7 I think so I'll have a few here then head off for some food.
    bacwaan likes this.

555 yeah I know. I'm heading to the Beach Club later tonight either before or after Chinatown. I've booked a room which includes free drinks from 5-7 I think so I'll have a few here then head off for some food.
    Mercenary in a word! The sharks outside the tank are nastier than the one's inside Pete.

Seems to get regularly raided also. I was in there one night and two black vans with dark glass pulled up and half the girls starting heading for the exit, but then stopped when a bunch of tourists got out!

In terms of music, both are good, but Thai Club was better on my last visit.

BTW, if you are wanting to save a few dollars, the train is quick and efficient to get to and from the airport.
    Last edited by Nomad; 4th July 2017 at 19:30.
    peteman likes this.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

I ended up at the Beach Club this afternoon for an hour or so just to suss it out. Cool sharks above the bar but the place was literally crawling in German cockroaches. They were crawling all over the bar, in and out of the eftpos machine and all under the bar. I had to get outta there as I kept seeing them crawling towards me in my peripheral vision and was swatting them away. It was nasty 55555 I'll be cutting that joint off and heading to the Thai bar on the way back from Chinatown.

I ended up at the Beach Club this afternoon for an hour or so just to suss it out. Cool sharks above the bar but the place was literally crawling in German cockroaches. They were crawling all over the bar, in and out of the eftpos machine and all under the bar. I had to get outta there as I kept seeing them crawling towards me in my peripheral vision and was swatting them away. It was nasty 55555 I'll be cutting that joint off and heading to the Thai bar on the way back from Chinatown.
    Both clubs aren't busy before 10pm or later. I think the bands come on around 10:30pm.

Yep that's the go. I'll spend a few hours in Chinatown then call past on the way home. Chatting to a few girls here on Tinder that I might get to meet me there. Not sure what my hotels policy on bringing girls back are but I guess I'll find out 555

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast