The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Retired and a new journey begins

WIN_20180108_18_31_41_Pro.jpg WIN_20180109_16_26_45_Pro.jpg WIN_20180109_06_35_25_Pro.jpg

Hope this worked, pictures from my condo, morning, sunset and evening
    Last edited by lakeboy; 15th January 2018 at 07:43.
    Distantpeak, Rivo, bacwaan and 4 others like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeboy View Post
    WIN_20180108_18_31_41_Pro.jpg

Hope this worked, pictures from my condo, morning, sunset and evening
    can only see the evening shot

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    can only see the evening shot
    just fixed that
    Stillearly likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    just fixed that
    looks fantastic

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Very nice, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Forbes View Post
    Very nice, Dave.
    ...Alan but your close, Dave was my fathers name

So I'm a month into this new adventure called retirement. Getting used to this life, it's going to be easy. Especially being in a place like Mexico and not having the day to day responsibility to look after the house and kids. Most days I can wake up, have my coffee looking at the marina and think about what I feel like doing that day. That's the biggest decision I have. I love that feeling.

Puerta Vallarta has been great. The sun shines everyday, we've had no rain. Shorts and sandals is the only thing to wear. Food, restaurants, drinks...it's all cheap compared to Canada. I've had a friend staying with me the last few weeks, we both like cooking so we haven't actually eaten out a lot. We've had lots of shrimp, barbecued oysters, chicken and "arrachera", a marinated flank steak that's damn good on the barbecue. He's leaving tomorrow, another friend is coming in a week. So for the next week I plan on trying some of these restaurants in the marina, lot's of good ones.

A couple of times a week I go for physio appointments. Twice the time at a fifth of the cost in Canada. I'm walking a lot, averaging 10K a day. I love exploring the old "non-tourist" neighborhoods. It's a very different standard of living from the tourist areas. Dirt roads, basic bricks shacks with tin roofs with some really beautiful homes mixed in. Every few homes someone will have a shop selling basic household goods, or drinks and snacks, or they'll have a few chairs and make taco's or tostada's. Even in the poorest of places you'll see them sweeping their dirt porch, clean clothes hanging on a laundry line. Whatever they have they make the best of it.

The middle class is definitely growing here. In all these nice restaurants here, they are often filled with Mexican tourists, you don't see the rust buckets on the roads anymore, most locals have nice cars. I'm looking at yacht called the "Domani" right now. I'm guessing it's worth about $40 milliion US, it's owned by a Mexican family, there is some serious wealth in this Marina and most of it is owned by the Mexican's, not the tourists.

It seems every second day I'm doing something with friends that are in the area. Dinners, hikes, just visiting. I'm finding I need to take more time just to do nothing and relax poolside. This weekend I'm going to go to Nuevo Vallarta and find a "Beach house", where you can sit by the ocean, as long as you buy food and drinks, you don't have to pay for it.

In the stores you can find beer for just over a $1, or you can pay $5 at a nice bar, anything in between. What you spend at a place like this depends on how you want to live. I prefer the $1 I'll pay at a store but once in a while, you got to treat yourself. I plan on doing some of that next week.

I don't find Mexican women as attractive as Asian. But when you see a beautiful spanish girl...they can be stunning! I need to find one, 555.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Good for you

Dupree and I going to Yucatan Peninsula in June

Liberal Conservative Distantpeak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Good for you

Is that on honeymoon or just a romantic weekend away?
    Last edited by Distantpeak; 8th February 2018 at 01:31.
    Minder, obes and OZZYGUY like this.
    Singularity prediction... 2043...

Immortality to follow within 5 years...

So I'm a month into this new adventure called retirement. Getting used to this life, it's going to be easy. Especially being in a place like Mexico and not having the day to day responsibility to look after the house and kids. Most days I can wake up, have my coffee looking at the marina and think about what I feel like doing that day. That's the biggest decision I have. I love that feeling.

Puerta Vallarta has been great. The sun shines everyday, we've had no rain. Shorts and sandals is the only thing to wear. Food, restaurants, drinks...it's all cheap compared to Canada. I've had a friend staying with me the last few weeks, we both like cooking so we haven't actually eaten out a lot. We've had lots of shrimp, barbecued oysters, chicken and "arrachera", a marinated flank steak that's damn good on the barbecue. He's leaving tomorrow, another friend is coming in a week. So for the next week I plan on trying some of these restaurants in the marina, lot's of good ones.

A couple of times a week I go for physio appointments. Twice the time at a fifth of the cost in Canada. I'm walking a lot, averaging 10K a day. I love exploring the old "non-tourist" neighborhoods. It's a very different standard of living from the tourist areas. Dirt roads, basic bricks shacks with tin roofs with some really beautiful homes mixed in. Every few homes someone will have a shop selling basic household goods, or drinks and snacks, or they'll have a few chairs and make taco's or tostada's. Even in the poorest of places you'll see them sweeping their dirt porch, clean clothes hanging on a laundry line. Whatever they have they make the best of it.

The middle class is definitely growing here. In all these nice restaurants here, they are often filled with Mexican tourists, you don't see the rust buckets on the roads anymore, most locals have nice cars. I'm looking at yacht called the "Domani" right now. I'm guessing it's worth about $40 milliion US, it's owned by a Mexican family, there is some serious wealth in this Marina and most of it is owned by the Mexican's, not the tourists.

It seems every second day I'm doing something with friends that are in the area. Dinners, hikes, just visiting. I'm finding I need to take more time just to do nothing and relax poolside. This weekend I'm going to go to Nuevo Vallarta and find a "Beach house", where you can sit by the ocean, as long as you buy food and drinks, you don't have to pay for it.

In the stores you can find beer for just over a $1, or you can pay $5 at a nice bar, anything in between. What you spend at a place like this depends on how you want to live. I prefer the $1 I'll pay at a store but once in a while, you got to treat yourself. I plan on doing some of that next week.

I don't find Mexican women as attractive as Asian. But when you see a beautiful spanish girl...they can be stunning! I need to find one, 555.
    Are you going to keep your place in Kelowna and just travel? Or will you move permanently to a warmer climate?

Are you going to keep your place in Kelowna and just travel? Or will you move permanently to a warmer climate?[/QUOTE]

For now, i'm going to keep the house and sell the lake property. I may sell the house later and get a lock and leave condo. Thar would make travelling easier, but I won't rush that decision.
    Tingtong likes this.

For now, i'm going to keep the house and sell the lake property. I may sell the house later and get a lock and leave condo. Thar would make travelling easier, but I won't rush that decision.
    I thought your house was at the lake in Kelowna? Are both houses in the same town? I'm being nosey...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Sounds great Lakeboy, any chance of posting some pics of the area, old houses streets, sexy spanish girls etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I thought your house was at the lake in Kelowna? Are both houses in the same town? I'm being nosey...
    My house is actually in Vernon, about 45 minutes north of Kelowna. The lake house is on Shuswap Lake, an hour and a half north of Vernon. If anyone is looking for a good investment, they don't build waterfront anymore.
    Distantpeak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Sounds great Lakeboy, any chance of posting some pics of the area, old houses streets, sexy spanish girls etc.
    I will try and get some pictures up
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Here is a pic a friend of mine took a couple of days ago. He was at a restaurant where a group of beautiful ladies were having their own little party.

Gary's pic.jpg
    Distantpeak and OZZYGUY like this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    .................................................. ...............................
    Last edited by bacwaan; 12th February 2018 at 02:36.
    Stillearly likes this.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ had to have a chuckle at that pic Khun Lakeboy...could do with a bit of red eye reduction...those gals look like extras from a Robert Rodriguez Mexican/Slasher/Vampire/Zombie Movie...555

My house is actually in Vernon, about 45 minutes north of Kelowna. The lake house is on Shuswap Lake, an hour and a half north of Vernon. If anyone is looking for a good investment, they don't build waterfront anymore.
    Quite an interesting area that between the two mountain ranges... semi-arid hilly country with lots of lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    Good for you

I've been to Akumal/Tulum region a couple of times, definitely want to go back sometime

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast