The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Nepal trip 2019

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar

Nepal trip 2019

Has anyone been to Nepal?

Always wanted to go to Nepal and works out so has my wife. My FIL worked in Kathmandu when he was in the UN for a few years and always goes on about the place and been encouraging my wife to go since before I knew her.

I have a fair few mountain bike friends from Nepal and was with them in Malaysia a few weeks back. They are helping me with some plans.

One of the guys owns a tour company so he is planning a ride for me while my wife will spend some time in the villages along the way and travel by car.

My plan is to get a helicopter from Kathmandu to the top of Mustang and get dropped off at 5200m with my bike (no wife). Will be 3 riders plus my Nepal buddy Shyam as a guide. We will ride about 200kms over a few days back to Kathmandu. Our first stop will be in Mustang and my wife will meet us coming up by car. One of my female friends from Nepal will be with her.

I have always wanted to climb to base camp on Everest that is 5300m but I think with my passion for biking this will be more suited.

That will be all the riding on this trip and then the wife and I will get out and about, maybe get over to Tibet as well.

Last edited by OZZYGUY; 25th July 2018 at 18:23.

Didn't Nomad do the Base Camp trip? I think Chob's brother Dlew did as well. Probably others. I'd love to do it... is it not possible to bike to base camp?
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    . is it not possible to bike to base camp?
    Thats was my last email to Shyam, havent heard back yet.
    Distantpeak likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Holy moly, now that's something.

Base camp is not hard to get to. My brother's been there a couple of times. Mostly for fitness. You walk up there and just run around in circles for a week and come back ripped. If you go there from Chinese side you can drive to it 55.

Riding at those altitudes is gonna be a bitch though.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post

How do you do altitude training for that? So you now have a new upgraded bucket list?

I just wonder, what happens when you stop making adrenalin. 55.
    Distantpeak and OZZYGUY like this.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retdent View Post

You retire to CM
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Platinum
    Are you going to do any acclimatization before being dropped at 5300m? Like Bacon says its gonna be tough up there.I can remember being the 1st day just above 3000m and that was an effort just to walk.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

You can always stay at base camp for a day before riding down. That'd make the dizziness and headaches better, but it won't make the ride any easier. There'd also be no shame in throwing a small oxygen tank in a backpack.

I'm just guessing at what it's gonna be like based on a video I posted in the motorcycle thread a couple of days ago about these two guys who went up there on motorbikes. Just keeping the bikes upright was an effort for them towards the end. Imagine pedaling.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I took a train to 3500m...exhausting.!

Get a bike with an engine Ozzy 55
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    I took a train to 3500m...exhausting.!
    Well no wonder. Trains are heavy as!

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post

Base camp is not hard to get to. My brother's been there a couple of times. Mostly for fitness. You walk up there and just run around in circles for a week and come back ripped. If you go there from Chinese side you can drive to it 55.

Quote Originally Posted by retdent View Post
    How do you do altitude training for that? So you now have a new upgraded bucket list?

Not a new bucket list other things just keep creaping in...55

Quote Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
    Are you going to do any acclimatization before being dropped at 5300m? Like Bacon says its gonna be tough up there.I can remember being the 1st day just above 3000m and that was an effort just to walk.

Two years ago I did a ride at over 3000m, think it was 3400m. it was hard, but my fitness now is much better than back then and I intend being a lot fitter for this. Shyam tells me they take small oxygen tanks that go in your back pack with a month peace hanging over your shoulder so if needed can get some air. Bit like what we do for water. He also tells me assembling the bike and getting all your safety gear on is the hardest part. This normally takes about 10 to 15 minutes, but he said it could take a hour up top. Currently they load the bikes in the chopper with the wheels removed for the space. I have seen other people leave the bikes together and hang them off the chopper on a rope. Note sure if we can do that to save some time. Then could get ready in the chopper on the way up. Land and hit the trail in a few minutes.

Base camp is on Everest, different mountain. Upper mustang is 200kms away as the eagle fly’s.
    Ian Forbes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    CJ and I trekked to Base Camp, and planning to do again next year, and looking into doing something extra.

Haven't researched it but very surprised that you would go from KTM to 5300m, and then ride. I think they do a helicopter run from KTM to base camp for the armchair tourists, but it is a quick stop...expect altitude sickness would hit quick and hard. Based on how we felt after trekking around 9 days, I wouldn't have been comfortable riding downhill.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Base camp is 5335m
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Not a new bucket list other things just keep creaping in...55

Two years ago I did a ride at over 3000m, think it was 3400m. it was hard, but my fitness now is much better than back then and I intend being a lot fitter for this. Shyam tells me they take small oxygen tanks that go in your back pack with a month peace hanging over your shoulder so if needed can get some air. Bit like what we do for water. He also tells me assembling the bike and getting all your safety gear on is the hardest part. This normally takes about 10 to 15 minutes, but he said it could take a hour up top. Currently they load the bikes in the chopper with the wheels removed for the space. I have seen other people leave the bikes together and hang them off the chopper on a rope. Note sure if we can do that to save some time. Then could get ready in the chopper on the way up. Land and hit the trail in a few minutes.

Base camp is on Everest, different mountain. Upper mustang is 200kms away as the eagle fly’s.
    The issue is that at that altitude your cognitive capability is impaired. I wouldn't want to be making split second decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    The issue is that at that altitude your cognitive capability is impaired. I wouldn't want to be making split second decisions

Split second decisions are very important with this type of riding. I am a bit concerned as we do get to some high speeds and you really need to be on the ball.

I’m still waiting all the info and the itinerary. The other option Pikary peak at 4100m.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    Split second decisions are very important with this type of riding. I am a bit concerned as we do get to some high speeds and you really need to be on the ball.

I’m still waiting all the info and the itinerary. The other option Pikary peak at 4100m.
    4Kms is a pretty decent fall....555
    OZZYGUY likes this.

I can see what will happen... all this preparation... and after a few weeks Ozzy will settle for Bush Mountain... with an air tank to be safe...
    OZZYGUY likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    It sounds like an epic adventure. I wish you luck. Altitude seems to affect everyone differently. I had altitude sickness once and it wasn't pretty. I was only at 2700 meters, but I had a lung infection at the time and only thought it was a cold.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

These were my observations re altitude that I wrote in another thread.
    Reaching base camp was quite an emotional experience for everyone. It is very hard to explain. The lack of oxygen and cold at altitude has many effects on the body and mind, including weird dreams, difficulty sleeping, headaches, needing to pee a few times a night (yet no toilet in the room, a major operation getting out of the sleeping bag and below zero temp!), minimal appetite despite walking 5 to 10 hours, nausea, small tasks leaving you breathless, one small vomit, etc...sounds like fun!

Unfortunately, I didn't start the altitude sickness tablets early enough, as I thought the first symptoms were related to my head cold.
    OZZYGUY likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    I can see what will happen... all this preparation... and after a few weeks Ozzy will settle for Bush Mountain... with an air tank to be safe...
    And a rather large dose of antibiotics beforehand...
    Distantpeak likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast