The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Its confirmed November 2018

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Pork to Thailand, will Australian customs allow you to take it out?

Don't try it for NZ - recent case involving attempting to import three pork sausages -

Ministry for Primary Industries, Vatau Sagaga asked for the penalty starting point to be $20,000
    Cobba likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน OZZYGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    Pork to Thailand, will Australian customs allow you to take it out?

-
    We always take beef out of Perth and got a slab ready to go tomorrow, dont see the issue.
    Cobba likes this.

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Guessing Thailand not so bothered as they already have a prevalence of foot and mouth in their pork industry, but the estimated cost of infected pork to NZ is $5.8 billion for a single outbreak of foot and mouth transmitted by imported meat product.

April this year two Thais fined $1900 for biosecurity breach, bringing 2 pork sausages to NZ -

"Pork is prohibited from entry into New Zealand and is considered especially risky due to the prevalence of foot-and-mouth disease in Thailand. Biosecurity breaches have huge impacts on the country as a whole and have the potential to have a serious impact on our international reputation as well."
    Last edited by Hatari; 13th September 2018 at 12:52.

I think i had better check the regulations.....

That said, its not exactly "raw" Pork... but rather Pork that has been processed (with curing agents) and cooked.

Better to be safe than sorry i guess, so i will check
    Hatari likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZYGUY View Post
    We always take beef out of Perth and got a slab ready to go tomorrow, dont see the issue.
    Yes, i might also consider taking over some Beef as well....

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    ^trouble is you'll ask three Thai experts and get four different responses!
    Quarky, OZZYGUY and Cobba like this.

How could FMD virus enter Australia?

Australia doesn’t allow imports of any susceptible live animals, semen or uncooked meat or unprocessed dairy products from FMD-affected countries or zones. FMD virus is most likely to be introduced in contaminated, illegally imported animal products.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Do Aussie customs care what leaves ..... I've heard of guys taking over Turkeys for Xmas , don't think Thailand has any rules regarding imported meats
    Cobba likes this.

Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    strange times we live in, May I flew Sydney to Bangkok, at Sydney the ever vigilant customs man took my almost empty 110g toothpaste tube, as their legal limit is 100g... pointing out it was 80% empty didn't change things, because "it has 110g written on it"
    Quarky and Ian Forbes like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Just give customs a call and ask.

Not sure about the other side.
    Worry is a misuse of the imagination.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I've brought my own smoked salmon into Thailand many times I bring it in shrink wrapped packages. It was only when flying with China Eastern Airlines that I had a problem. I arrived in a Chinese airport ( I forget which one) and they rerouted all passengers out of the airport and then we had to go back through the whole customs thing with examining checked in baggage. The authorities confiscated the smoked salmon. There was a bunch of other problems with them as well. The flight connections got screwed up which added another 8 hours to the trip. They also changed my pre-booked aisle seat and stuffed me in the middle with a bunch of Chinese. That is the last time I will EVER fly with that fucking airline.I don't care how cheap their flights are.

Interesting story...... That November trip never happened but myself and SI are booked to fly out of Sydney Later this month.... The pork loin pictured still curing in the refrigerator and I will smoke it this coming weekend, ready to be cryovaced and taken to LOS for the old man..... I am sure he will love it and assume the gesture will earn brownie points for me :-)
    Ian Forbes likes this.

I always find it amazing what you can bring into Thailand... imagine trying to do it the other way!
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ pork would just about be the last thing I'd be bringing into Thailand...the quality and price here is excellent...the "Sirloins" as pictured in Cobba's photo are about half the price here (about AUS$5 a kilo) of what it is in AUS/NZ if bought in Makro....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    I agree with Baccy, the only thing they don't do well in SEA is bacon, and understandably so; they've never had the need to preserve meat. Otherwise you're just taking wine to Rome.
    Worry is a misuse of the imagination.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    ^ pork would just about be the last thing I'd be bringing into Thailand...the quality and price here is excellent...the "Sirloins" as pictured in Cobba's photo are about half the price here (about AUS$5 a kilo) of what it is in AUS/NZ if bought in Makro....
    I don't find pork good at all in Thailand, love it back home

I do think the chicken is amazing though................

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

You were eating the wrong pork.

I find the pork excellent in Thailand, without which I would have gone vegetarian. We would go to the fresh markets and get meat that was walking around a few hours earlier.

My biggest gripe was it being seasoned by fish!
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

Yeah..but you live in Hog Heaven...

Canadian pork is world renowned..especially the bacon..however I cook and eat pork sirloin here several times a week and I find it better quality than what I used to get back in AUS...for a way better price

on the other hand I find AUS chicken way superior to Thai chicken...555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    Yeah..but you live in Hog Heaven...

Canadian pork is world renowned..especially the bacon..however I cook and eat pork sirloin here several times a week and I find it better quality than what I used to get back in AUS...for a way better price

on the other hand I find AUS chicken way superior to Thai chicken...555
    I don't know. I have plenty of of Canadian ham, plenty of Spanish hams that are ridiculously expensive and of course Italian hams, Grandma would not go for the lame American knock offs, she and now Pops and I only went for imported Capicola (my favorite), Coppa, Mortadella, bresaola, Porchetta etc. We still go down to the same shop in what was once an Italian neighbourhood. I find the meat very high quality. Of course, it is not cured with the mastery handed down through the generations, but still high quality in LOS. Damn I am making myself homesick. 555

I couldn't touch the village chicken, skinny, tough and tasted like the garbage they subsisted on.

Tomatoes too I found awful. The tended to taste like the water they were grown with, swamp water. The wife hated tomatoes too until i finally got her to try a particularly sweet Roma. Now the grow in the garden next to the Thai Chillies. 555
    Last edited by Cippy; 4th January 2019 at 01:39.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast