The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: April 2019 Travel Plans

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    you could easily spend a month in Spain and Portugal travelling fast and only seeing the south of the countries...Madrid then fast train to Andalusia Province in Spain including Sevilla, Cordoba, San Jose, Grenada, Malaga and Almeria...then the south of Portugal around the Algarve, Sagres, Lagos, Burgao, Albufera etc etc..back up to Sintra and Lisbon and out..but to see all this in a month would require a cracking pace

same goes for Morocco...you would need close to a month just to see the highlights and spend a few days on the beach...starting in Tangiers (in and out on the Med ferry crossings)....the historical cities of Marakesh, Fez, Rabat and Meknes...The Rif and Atlas Mountains, desert towns like Merzouga..plus the seaside towns like Agadir, Essouira and Casablanca to catch your breath and put your feet up for a day or two by the Atlantic...

My advice is to do either one of these above...or Turkey with a bit of Greece Or a bit of southern Italy Amalfi/Bay of Naples...

when I was in my twenties I saw all of the above...I was in Morocco for 2 plus months just taking in what I wrote about above...Lisbon/Sintra/Algarve for over a month but I did spend about 10 days of that in a beautiful villa near Lagos soaking it in with friends...and the Andalusia district of southern Spain took me about 6 weeks alone...

These are pretty vast distances we are talking about with loads to explore..especially Morocco and Spain...

I would never even attempt that type of schedule these days..travel wearies me much more now than then...55
    Last edited by bacwaan; 1st December 2018 at 18:51.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Sounds like you got ants in your pants khun B.

Try and find somewhere to relax and chill man 55
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Or look up Contiki.... 18 to 32yr old holidays (Are they still going?) and follow a similar route around Europe that they do on their 4 week trips... which are basically "highlights" trips. I used them... and then used the experience to travel around Europe with mates in a Combi for 8 months after...

Here's a 25 day one
    Moo Uaon likes this.
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    you could easily spend a month in Spain and Portugal travelling fast and only seeing the south of the countries...Madrid then fast train to Andalusia Province in Spain including Sevilla, Cordoba, San Jose, Grenada, Malaga and Almeria...then the south of Portugal around the Algarve, Sagres, Lagos, Burgao, Albufera etc etc..back up to Sintra and Lisbon and out..but to see all this in a month would require a cracking pace

same goes for Morocco...you would need close to a month just to see the highlights and spend a few days on the beach...starting in Tangiers (in and out on the Med ferry crossings)....the historical cities of Marakesh, Fez, Rabat and Meknes...The Rif and Atlas Mountains, desert towns like Merzouga..plus the seaside towns like Agadir, Essouira and Casablanca to catch your breath and put your feet up for a day or two by the Atlantic...

My advice is to do either one of these above...or Turkey with a bit of Greece Or a bit of southern Italy Amalfi/Bay of Naples...

when I was in my twenties I saw all of the above...I was in Morocco for 2 plus months just taking in what I wrote about above...Lisbon/Sintra/Algarve for over a month but I did spend about 10 days of that in a beautiful villa near Lagos soaking it in with friends...and the Andalusia district of southern Spain took me about 6 weeks alone...

These are pretty vast distances we are talking about with loads to explore..especially Morocco and Spain...

I would never even attempt that type of schedule these days..travel wearies me much more now than then...55
    Bacon is still young.... he has loads of energy... when I was young, I wanted to go everywhere man... 55

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Or look up Contiki.... 18 to 32yr old holidays (Are they still going?) and follow a similar route around Europe that they do on their 4 week trips... which are basically "highlights" trips. I used them... and then used the experience to travel around Europe with mates in a Combi for 8 months after...

Here's a 25 day one
    I was thinking that too but I don't think he wants to be around people 55

The bus can be a bit claustrophobic and B is already a man of the world and the experience couldn't be the same as an unworldly 20 something year old broadening his horizons in a much more naive era.... like we did 55

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    I'm not... you're all still possible serial killers as far as I'm concerned... 55
    Yes, but those are only for hire career hits. We don't involve friends. 555
    Distantpeak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    I was thinking that too but I don't think he wants to be around people 55

The bus can be a bit claustrophobic and B is already a man of the world and the experience couldn't be the same as an unworldly 20 something year old broadening his horizons in a much more naive era.... like we did 55
    I meant rather to follow a similar route... ie use it as a guide... Bacon is likely too old to qualify for the fun bus anyway... 55

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Bacon is still young.... he has loads of energy... when I was young, I wanted to go everywhere man... 55
    well he's 10 years older than me when I travelled the itineraries I mentioned...and I was as fit as fuck back then

If you do it much quicker than this you will be seeing it from a fast moving train or bus...you actually need time to see the things that the places you are visiting have to offer, take in some of the atmosphere, get a feel for the place and its people...otherwise you may as well be on that Contiki Tour or watch a doco on TV...
    Ian Forbes likes this.

well he's 10 years older than me when I travelled the itineraries I mentioned...and I was as fit as fuck back then

If you do it much quicker than this you will be seeing it from a fast moving train or bus...you actually need time to see the things that the places you are visiting have to offer, take in some of the atmosphere, get a feel for the place and its people...otherwise you may as well be on that Contiki Tour or watch a doco on TV...
    Bacon seems to want a highlights reel of Europe to give him an idea if where he might like to spend more time... otherwise I agree with you... spend more time in one or two locations... and do it properly... that's what I would do too...

Though back in the day, I did a month on Contiki... gave me a feel for various places.... and then I did it all again at my own pace over 8 months...
    Last edited by Distantpeak; 2nd December 2018 at 00:31.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

I get what your saying but I think you can get all that in a short visit if you aren't partying that much and get out and about and if you are an observant person

If I had a month in Europe I'd much rather see a bunch of places in a short periods than just a few for longer periods

A week or 2 around Interlaken and a Swiss rail pass would do me fine.
    There's not too many places in Europe I'd do again but that one I would.
    Distantpeak likes this.

If you are seeing something for the first time I think it's wise to cover as much ground as possible, providing you've done a bit of research on things that strike your personal interests. Then, on a later date you can concentrate on what you enjoy most. Nothing worse than being really close to something you would have enjoyed, but missed because you didn't know it was there.

Yeah I love it around there too... but then there are so many little gorgeous hideaways in the Alps...
    Moo Uaon likes this.

NZ's South Island closer .... 55

But yes, that part of Europe is fabulous, in fact anywhere between northern Italy and southern Bavaria is well worth a lengthy tour.

Turkish Airlines fly Singapore to Istanbul and as the largest carrier in Europe they cover all destinations. Great service on late model aircraft and I believe Turkish are already operating long haul flights into the new Istanbul mega-airport. Istanbul would be an exciting city to explore, the history, culture and food is quite unique and different to the rest of Eu.

An hour south to Athens and I recommend a stay of several days spent wandering the 'village-like city', especially Plaka, taking in history while meandering past ancient ruins and recent excavations ... it's an ongoing archeological site a few 100m from a bustling city centre and the seat of Government. Take the train (underground) from Market Square out to Piraeus and walk* or taxi over to the yacht harbour and around to the southern point. Enjoy a few cold beers overlooking the yacht harbour entrance while gazing upon multi-million dollar mega yachts. *Walking up and over the hill allows one to take in the new rail extension under construction but stalled due to ancient ruins unearthed below multiple levels of old construction. Fascinating to look at and speculate what was what.

Like others have said, don't rush Europe 1st time. Pick the eyes out but devote more time in each location.
    Ian Forbes, sidvicious and Bacon like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Bacon's Avatar
    Thanks, all the advice has made me rethink and fine tune this. I much rather not have an itinerary at all if I can manage it. So far all I'm serious about is a return ticket to London.

After that I think I'll just free roam at my leisure. I'll be by myself for a couple of weeks and then joined by a friend for the remainder which will be mostly Italy. We will most likely skip Amsterdam as well now. Lisbon, Spain, a bit of Morocco for extra flavour and the rest Italy. With an open itinerary, if I end up really liking one place I can always say screw it, I'll just spend a few days here and will see other places in the future. Or I could end up living on trains for a week. I do have ants in my pants and feel really calm when on the move but can get agitated if in one place for too long.
    Ian Forbes likes this.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    You can do day trip to Morocco from Spain , I did one a few years ago , it's only an hour on the boat

Just enjoy your trip, Bacon. You are the only one that counts. Just bring back all the details backed up with lots of photos.

I can see you not leaving London... 55
    sidvicious likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    Thanks, all the advice has made me rethink and fine tune this. I much rather not have an itinerary at all if I can manage it. So far all I'm serious about is a return ticket to London.

After that I think I'll just free roam at my leisure. I'll be by myself for a couple of weeks and then joined by a friend for the remainder which will be mostly Italy. We will most likely skip Amsterdam as well now. Lisbon, Spain, a bit of Morocco for extra flavour and the rest Italy. With an open itinerary, if I end up really liking one place I can always say screw it, I'll just spend a few days here and will see other places in the future. Or I could end up living on trains for a week. I do have ants in my pants and feel really calm when on the move but can get agitated if in one place for too long.
    Big bike riding might be the thing for you.
    Nothing excites my brain and senses more and taking in different sights,countries at the same time is the icing on the cake.

I can see you not leaving London... 55
    Yeah, probably get mugged, end up with passport and wallet stolen ... prick of a place ... 55

London's old in April Bacon, why fly in/out of LHR instead of a more central EU city?
    Moo Uaon likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast