The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Kuhio Goes Back In Time

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Good on you guys Brian

Ao often talks about doing the same at her school

She speaks extremely fondly about when someone would come to her school when she was a kid and donate time, resources

And quite honestly, I've shied away from doing it because, to me, it just sort of felt like us showing off

That's my own hangup and your post made me realize the kids will real the benefits and that I should encourage Ao to do it

Thanks man

Incredible post
    PeteGill likes this.

Cadet Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    not so sure he lived up to that rep the night he got supermao, ran the stop at the police checkpoint and crashed his bike...but that's ancient history now...555
    555555!

What you're missing is I was rushing home that night to my good choice in a woman!!! Haha

Although I did wake her up at 4am or whenever that was and ask if I was actually in one piece or not. 55555
    bacwaan likes this.

Cadet Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by Notorius View Post
    I remember sitting having a drink with you Brian on my first trip to MTB. Nicke always said you were the voice of reason in an otherwise Kaleidoscope of mayhem. Nicke used to advise me to take on board your take on the antics of the girls or certain behaviors. Really enjoying this report and looks like you are having a blast.
    Seriously though, that's high praise. Miss him tremendously. Especially on days like today where I am flying into Phuket where it always seems like somethings missing without him.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kuhio View Post
    555555!

What you're missing is I was rushing home that night to my good choice in a woman!!! Haha

Although I did wake her up at 4am or whenever that was and ask if I was actually in one piece or not. 55555
    yep..well no one would argue that you aren't a good "picker"...555

About your morning runs

Because I get up so early for work I hardly ever sleep past 6-7am

And I love it when I travel

I get out in the morning and see a new city "wake up"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    About your morning runs

The same can be achieved , by staying out all night and walking back to your hotel when the sun rises

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    About your morning runs

Thing about running though is it heightens your senses... you tend to feel more.. see more.. and hear more, when you are running.. so running at dawn can feel quite spiritual..
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    ^ I'm normally full of spirits when I adopt the Stillearly method as well....
    Quarky, Zablive and Stillearly like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    I met Kuhios young Ben ( aged 4 ) in the pool today.

He looked a lot keener to engage than his big sister Tawan ( who is always initially 'reserved' ) and I expected that as Ive known her since she was very young.

So Im in the pool and Ben is sitting on the edge.
    The girls are hovering near me in the water , but not yet talking.

I say , "Hey Ben , do you guys have any pets over there in America ?"
    Ben grins and starts thinking.... "Ahmm.. I gota snake ... but hes dead."
    His sister looks at him quizically and Alice guffaws.

I say , "So you have a real snake as a pet , but hes dead already ? Wow !"
    Ben nods and grins , appearing happy with that idea.
    I said , "So waddya call this snake thats been dead a while then Ben ?"

Ben says , "....call him Stinky .."

Well we all crack up laughing.
    The ice is broken , and the girls laugh and turn and laugh to each other.
    "Stinky.." says husky voiced Tawan , and we all laugh again.

Theres nobody as good at bringing some casual joy to any awkward situation as a little kid.
    wabbits, Quarky, quiksilva and 4 others like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Your last sentence says it all, Dean. I concur.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Tawan looks like shes about to finally 'engage' ... Alice is sooo wanting to play in the water with them .
    Bens already willing ... but Tawan silently drifts off a metre .... looking detached.

They are all on the other side of the underwater wall between the shallow part , and the deep side Im standing up to my neck in.
    Im sure they are all sussing out the depth Im in ... and measuring me against that depth. Ben has his ( arm ) floaties on , and seems way more comfortable than a lot of 4 year year olds ( in my experience ) normally would.
    Silence , and the 'moment' appears lost.
    Time for a 'challenge'...

I go , "Ok all you BABIES ! Stay on the baby side of the pool !"
    "Dont come over on MY part of the pool , its way too deep for you BABIES , and I AM not letting you come to the REAL part of the pool where only people who can actually swim and not drown same babies could come.... ( derogatory laugh )
    Alice knows these type of challenges from me straight up , so she jumps up on the wall immediately , and I grab her face and thrust her backwards back into the baies pool.
    Kuhios kids look a little shocked to be honest , they both turn and look a tad concerned until Alice surfaces , but when Alice pops up gasping and with a broad grin yells , "Now YOU lose , I am go in there!" and immediately makes to cross the wall again.
    Little Ben now has shows his courage and gets up on the wall.
    I can see hes waiting ... he could have jumped in ... so I get my hand on his face and push him backward ... and he surfaces thinking this is funny.

I palm off Alice who tries to sneek thru on my left again ... then see Tawan finally decide to participate and try to get over on the far right.
    I push Ben backwards again as he makes another attempt as I lunge past...
    I get to her with a lunge as well , and I treat her the same as the others , and pull her legs out from under her as she tries to cross the little wall.

This is the critical moment actually.
    All this behaviour is designed to see if Tawan really wants to 'join' the group.
    She can surface and be indignant . ( Or angry , or cry. God knows , she could even have me up for 'assault' in some countries nowadays ! )
    But she surfaces and the kids make a qucik plan to attack again.

They overwhelm me ...of course...555

Another great story, Dean. I can vizualize the whole thing. Thanks for my morning laugh. 555

It is interesting the difference in personalities.

Cadet Bronze
    First off, I have to say, every time we come back Dean is quick to not only handle the obvious things for me like motorbikes and what not, but really goes out of his way to help us get situated. I was in the mood to get away from the family for a few hours and go have a few drinks after 5 days up north. Dean was straight down on a bike to shuttle me down to the bars for a few hours of drink and catching up. Then the next morning was calling me to offer to take the whole family to Big C to get provisioned. Then yesterday again was calling me to see if he could come pick us all up for a trip over to Surin for a swim. I know we have been joking about the overuse of the term "legend" I have heard some young Aussies using online, but you sir, I have to say, are a fucking legend!!!

A quick update this time on the last few days getting down to Phuket. Everything went smoothly taking the bus down from Nakhon Sawan. Got off in Rangsit at Future Park and took two taxis to Don Mueang. Gorged on Fuji Sushi, waltzed through security, and were flying in no time. Had the AirBnB host company send a minibus shuttle to greet us at HKT since we had 6 people and all the luggage. He was waiting as expected. Arrived strait away to the Regent. Got the family some quick togo food to bring up to the room, and met Dean down in the car park waiting on the aforementioned bike to go out for a few drinks.

Dropped by Natasha's and had a chat with Bernie, then off to a few other of the bars that have popped up new in Kamala since my last trip at least and met Peter for a few more drinks. I think we arrived back the Dean's around 1am, not too late and he gave me the bike to get myself back to the room, where I promptly hit the pillow and instantly was out.

Next night, after Dean so graciously shuttled as down to Big C and brought Alice over for a swim in the pool as he mentioned, Peter (who lives right next to Dean now) was having a Christmas party that night so we headed over around 5. This is where I realized that we really need to have a car here, and not only a car, but something that could easily hold all 6 of us. Managed to get everyone over there in only two trips regardless because Peter let me borrow his Mazda after the first trip with the kids which I did no the bike.

I felt bad because Peter had a really nice spread and Puy must have been working all day to get everything setup, but we still have been having a bear of a time adjusting to the time zone. By 9:30pm my eyes were burning and I just couldn't muster up the energy to just start up to Sangsom Coke and power through, especially since I had been out the night before until 1am but somehow still woke up at 5am or so.

Also, maybe TMI, but we have been struggling with Tawan for since the middle of the summer when at 10 and a half years old she started her cycle and has all the raging hormones that come with that. Since then she has developed a very nasty tween angst and gets to be what Dean described yesterday at "surly" which is a good term for it. Basically a bad attitude where she is rude to just about everyone and basically becomes a massive stick in the mud. I bring it up because this started up the night over at Peters place and even with 10 kids playing along happily Tawan came to me at 8pm wanting to go back to the room. Since Grandma and Grandpa were also wanting to go, I jumped back in the Mazda again and shuttled them back.

I mention it because the next day it only got worse. Poor Alice, looking forward to taking Tawan to the beach was met with her sitting far across the table ignoring everybody and wanting only to stick her nose in her Ipad. Hope she can make it up to her later in the trip....

After returning to the room, Nok, not too pleased with this whole situation gives her a talking too which predictably escalates in to a spat. It was about then a massive thunder storm rolled into Kamala from the mountainside and the heavens opened up, matching the mood.

With the girls in a huff, and now everyone a bit "surly", a break in the rain gets me on the motorbike without a real destination. I decide to pop over the hill to Patong to see what's changed. Was surprised to see while there are new buildings about here and there, it was not too different from what I remember. It was, being this time of year, a total madhouse. Rain kicked off again so I decided to duck into a massage shop and wait it out. Rain broke again, and with some of the bad vibe from back in the room wiped off of me I had a slow scoot back to Kamala.

By this time Tawan had finished a book report she had been needing to do for school and of course the mood swung back the other direction. Nok and Ben were crashed out already in bed at 8pm, sigh, so I grabbed Tawan and headed down to Ohlala for a pizza and a beer. When we arrived I remembered it was actually Christmas Eve (we had Christmas at home early before we left) so the waitress was asking if we had a reservation. Luckily for me they had a table and still also had a normal menu.

After getting back to the room, I was again having trouble keeping my eyes open, and it was only 9pm. With everyone else already out cold, I gave in and hoped I would sleep through the night until morning. Made it unitl about 6am which is an improvement. I am going to resolve to break this spell tonight come hell or high water.

With all of the shuttling the family around, I called up a car rental place Bernie recommended and got a new Toyota Fortuner delivered. I had Nok call the guy first thinking the Thai language would help. However, he said he would call her back in 10 minutes and then never did. When she called him back an hour later, he said he didn't have anything. Then she decided to mention her husband was a farang. This changed things and now suddenly he had a pickup truck but still did not have a SUV. So I told her to hang up and gave Bernie a ring to see if there was another outfit he would recommend. He said no, so I called the guy back myself this time. As soon as he picked up the phone and I said who I was we interrupted me and told me he just now found a brand new Fortuner he could give to me. 5555555

Ahh its good to be back in Thailand.

I'm not telling you something you don't already know, but have some patience with your young girl. That is very early to start periods and it really throws their emotions out of whack. My daughter went through it at 12 and my granddaughter is just coming out of it at 15.

We've refound our fondness of Patong this last year

And it pleasantly hasn't changed much outside of Bangla Rd
    But everything else is still the same

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by kuhio View Post
    Seriously though, that's high praise. Miss him tremendously. Especially on days like today where I am flying into Phuket where it always seems like somethings missing without him.
    I’m not sure if you remember me but I always liked when a scenario was put to you, you put your own opinion and explained it so well. As a relative newbie it was always good to get advice from someone even if invariably I did the opposite. I always like people who sl3ak their own mind but do it in a way that is entertaining and also without being condescending.

Yeah nicke is definitely missed. Every now and then will go through all our texts and have a chuckle. Funnily enough I was able to understand what he was saying better by text than in real life. 555

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Hey Kuhio your not on your own with a teen girl in camp ours is 14 and the swings are abrupt from sweet to grumpy in a heart beat.
    She lets you know when she is bored which can be not great when you have just sat down somewhere out for a meal and its not to her liking..
    Joy has little tolerance and I have to keep quiet as my advise tends to make things worse.5555
    Step parenting can be a tightrope...
    Ian Forbes and Tingtong like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    ^ Wabs , Been there . My De Facto's Daughter was such a little shit she rang the Cops on me because I was playing music too loud (in my own house) .
    wabbits and Ian Forbes like this.

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Thats quite funny Ting though I am sure you did not see the funny side at the time.555
    Most of the time she is a sweet kid but beware the dark side.

Quote Originally Posted by Tingtong View Post
    ^ Wabs , Been there . My De Facto's Daughter was such a little shit she rang the Cops on me because I was playing music too loud (in my own house) .

Pardon me if I laugh, but that was funny. Pubescent young ladies are not noted for rational thinking.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast