Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Kuhio Goes Back In Time

Cadet Bronze

Kuhio Goes Back In Time

So somebody asked about ex PI members who are still around and since I am about to head back to Thailand with the Fam, I thought would contribute with a trip report.

First time we have been back for three years, and only the third time we have been back since we all based in the US about 7 years ago. My god has it been that long......

This trip will be from today, Dec 15th, until Jan 10th. An eternity of a trip for an American. Looking forward to it.

Currently staying in the Hyatt Regency next to O'Hare airport in Chicago. We live in Michigan these days and the flights are better out of Chicago than Detroit. Hyatt lets us park here for 3 weeks if we stay one night so it works out quite well as parking at the airport for that long would cost a fortune.

Flying to BKK via Shanghai tomorrow. Will spend a night at the airport Novotel as we arrive at 12:55am. Then off to Nakhon Sawan for 4 days or so to collect Grandma and put on a charity event at a school. After that, flying down to Phuket and have 15 days booked in a 3 bed condo in Kamala.

Since I lived for a short but eventful period in Phuket, it always feels like going back in time when we visit there, we have alot of history.

Looking forward to seeing some of my old friends over some drinks, and seeing how the place has changed over the years.

Here is a little insight into how we have changed over the years, from a trip we took back in August to Maui. For one, there is 4 of us now. I am the old white guy.....

Might make a similar video of this trip to Thailand, not sure though, its a bunch of work and can't fly the drone easily in Thailand.

Anyway, my son is diving over 2 meter gap between the two hotel beds while my wife is passed out in one of them, probably should get going.....

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    Nice video. Yes it does take a lot of time and effort to make a good one. Too bad with all the new regulations, Thailand makes it almost impossible to use a drone. But, I do understand their concern. A few people always ruin it for the majority. I thought of bringing my drone to Thailand, but gave up that idea.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    So no Samui this year Khun Kuhio?...been an age since I have seen you guys..would be great to catch up again if there is any chance of that...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    Great post Brian

Have a blast

My last day in Thailand last month Ao and I were at your beach and the water was as nice as many beaches in the Caribeean

A trip for 4 to Thailand isn't easy on the wallet!
    Enjoy and update this TR
    kuhio likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Stay off bikes and booze young Blian.
    First thing in my mind was the little tumble you had on beach road after an IFAWAS night that time 55
    Have fun...
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Cadet Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by bacwaan View Post
    So no Samui this year Khun Kuhio?...been an age since I have seen you guys..would be great to catch up again if there is any chance of that...
    Hey Nels, yeah we really looked at it and tried to make it work. The problem was trying to get accom for 6 in Phuket over the holidays with a break in the middle for Samui. We would have loved the catch up and we really enjoyed our time over there and on Phangan when I lived in Thailand, but the logistics of adding another kid, with Grandma and Grandpa over X-mas and NY was tough.

Anyway you could find your way over to Phuket in the middle of the high?? Probably not I reckon. Would have been nice to catch up for sure.
    bacwaan likes this.

Cadet Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Stay off bikes and booze young Blian.
    First thing in my mind was the little tumble you had on beach road after an IFAWAS night that time 55
    Have fun...
    Yeah, that was at least one of my nine lives for sure. 55555

Cadet Bronze
    Wheels up.

Lamai Beach Bum Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน bacwaan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kuhio View Post
    Hey Nels, yeah we really looked at it and tried to make it work. The problem was trying to get accom for 6 in Phuket over the holidays with a break in the middle for Samui. We would have loved the catch up and we really enjoyed our time over there and on Phangan when I lived in Thailand, but the logistics of adding another kid, with Grandma and Grandpa over X-mas and NY was tough.

Anyway you could find your way over to Phuket in the middle of the high?? Probably not I reckon. Would have been nice to catch up for sure.
    shoot me some details mate...I'll have a look at it..but as you know from looking at it..it's just the wrong time to be travelling about...expensive, busy and problematic
    kuhio likes this.

I may make a quick 9-10 day trip next month just to sit and go over all of Nut's University options

And if so I would go right back to Patong
    We had a blast last month

Stay on the hill above Amari near Tri-Trang beach
    It's like you are in a little village back there

And then a lot of times we would just stay down that end of the beach to go eat so as not to go near the center of Patong madness

Brian
    Are you staying in Kamala?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post

Brian
    From his OP "have 15 days booked in a 3 bed condo in Kamala."

Quote Originally Posted by Stillearly View Post
    From his OP "have 15 days booked in a 3 bed condo in Kamala."
    Oh thanks missed

Thought he told me he was staying in Kamala
    I think with young kids that's perfect

Brian

Check out Cafe Del Mar Beach Club

I went with Chob
    It is great

Have the grandparents watch the kids for a bit
    Although you could actually take them
    It was pretty chill and you get a table on the sand

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Awesome video and thanks...Seems like only yesterday I was reading about you meeting this girl.
    kuhio likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Dupree's Avatar
    Great video. We stayed at the Maui Hyatt 20 years a ago. It was painted pink back then..
    I just girl in bar. Buy me one dink?....

Cadet Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    I may make a quick 9-10 day trip next month just to sit and go over all of Nut's University options

And if so I would go right back to Patong
    We had a blast last month

Stay on the hill above Amari near Tri-Trang beach
    It's like you are in a little village back there

And then a lot of times we would just stay down that end of the beach to go eat so as not to go near the center of Patong madness

Brian
    Nice, I have always thought it would be nice to stay out at Tri Trang area if Patong is a big feature of your trip. Especially if you have a motorbike. That way you get really good beach and really short hops into Patong.

As you discovered, we are staying in Kamala, at the Regent which is a new one for us. We have stayed at Kamala Hills and The Palms on one of those penthouses with the roof space walking distance to the beach. I booked those two through Bernie, but both of those trips were done if February. Nowadays Tawan being in 5th grade, I just cant get enough days off of school so we have been sort of forced to come over for X-mas, New Years. I also put off contacting Bernie about accom until like October even though we booked the flights back in like May. I forgot that the Christmas/NY week is a different beast. Bernie was full up by the time I contacted him.

Luckily was able to find this 3 bed in the Regent covering my dates on AirBnB.

As you mention, we have found Kamala perfect for a family. Beach, shops, restaurants,not overly crowded. Not too far if you want to jump into Patong. Still have a lot of mates living in Kamala.

I can leave the Fam in the room and scoot down to the bars easily any given night. Perfect.

Cadet Bronze
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    Great video. We stayed at the Maui Hyatt 20 years a ago. It was painted pink back then..
    Yeah, Kaanapali is nice spot. I used to go there as a kid. It's seemed more crowded to me going back as an adult, but I could just not have noticed as a kid.

Nice, I have always thought it would be nice to stay out at Tri Trang area if Patong is a big feature of your trip. Especially if you have a motorbike. That way you get really good beach and really short hops into Patong.

As you discovered, we are staying in Kamala, at the Regent which is a new one for us. We have stayed at Kamala Hills and The Palms on one of those penthouses with the roof space walking distance to the beach. I booked those two through Bernie, but both of those trips were done if February. Nowadays Tawan being in 5th grade, I just cant get enough days off of school so we have been sort of forced to come over for X-mas, New Years. I also put off contacting Bernie about accom until like October even though we booked the flights back in like May. I forgot that the Christmas/NY week is a different beast. Bernie was full up by the time I contacted him.

Luckily was able to find this 3 bed in the Regent covering my dates on AirBnB.

As you mention, we have found Kamala perfect for a family. Beach, shops, restaurants,not overly crowded. Not too far if you want to jump into Patong. Still have a lot of mates living in Kamala.

I can leave the Fam in the room and scoot down to the bars easily any given night. Perfect.
    Great
    Definitely check out Cafe Del Mar

I was mighty impressed

Enjoy your holiday

And yes December is fully booked and not cheap!

Yeah, Kaanapali is nice spot. I used to go there as a kid. It's seemed more crowded to me going back as an adult, but I could just not have noticed as a kid.
    I really liked Maui when I went Dupes
    It just had that Hawaii feel to me

Bartenders were awesome

Cadet Bronze
    So got into BKK about just after midnight last night. About a 23 hour journey from Chicago.

Benjamin was like a dream at 4 years old compared to the last trip we did out here when he was 1. Both the kids slept a lot on the flights and mostly minded their own business when they were awake. Glad we seem to have passed the difficult travel stage. Gotta give it up to them.

We ended up trying China Eastern Airlines for a couple of reasons. First, they were the cheapest, and that counts for a bunch coming at this time of year. Second, the flight transits in Shanghai. This is important because in Shanghai, you can enter China without a visa as long as you are transiting within 48 hours. Even for Thais. So for the return leg, we were able to book a 20 hour layover in Shanghai where we will go into the city and stay at a hotel get some dinner take a walk down to the Bund etc. This splits up the return trip nicely and allow me to take the Fam to Shanghai, a city I know well.

Overall, can't complain about China Eastern. Good entertainment system on the 14 hour leg from Chicago to Shanghai. We always fly in the cheapo seats so my standard is that we get there on time with all of our luggage. They succeeded in delivering that. Would use again.

I am writing this at the Suvarnabhumi Novotel. Since our flight arrived at 12:30am, I decided to book a room at the airport hotel so we could just walk over and crash. This also worked out, although I would say that it feels kind of like we still haven't left the terminal, because we sort of haven't. Hotel delivers on what it promises. Location. Also, kids under 16 eat free at the breakfast buffet. So 3 of us is 500 baht. Nok would sooner commit suicide than pay 500 baht for a farang breakfast buffet. So its me and the kids.

We head out to Mo Chit in a taxi that can hopefully fit all of the ridiculous amount of luggage we are carrying. Tawan somehow convinced me to let her bring her violin. We have a fucking violin. Jesus.

It's not lost on me the last time I arrived in Thailand at this time of year was the very first trip I took here. That was a decade ago. The contrast could not be more clear. I was 31 years old with a small suitcase arriving on Phuket alone in the middle of the night and checking into a place called "The Lawan Residence" in Patong. A small guesthouse owned by an American named Gary. There was no reception, he just put the key to the room under the mat.

Now, I have a fucking violin.

Oh, and some other shit.....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast