Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: General building techniques discussion

General building techniques discussion

Like JC1 I was long time involved in building, both in NZ and QLD. Observing and learning about Thai methods is very interesting to me and sparked this thread.

Here are a few pics to kick off with. A new house construction in Chiang Mai ... I'll find out costs later, for now ... just look.

Any guess as to what the black PVC piping and spray nozzles are for?

Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Good idea KR as its a big interest to me so great thread.

I particularly like Thai style, strong, simple and very easy to construct.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post

Any guess as to what the black PVC piping and spray nozzles are for?
    Either hot and cold for a dishwasher, washing machine, jacuzzi... or bum gun... ?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Either hot and cold for a dishwasher, washing machine, jacuzzi... or bum gun... ?
    I like your train of thought ... will take some pics of a new house tomoz, complete with jacuzzi.

The black pvc hose and nozzle sprayers are for periodic termite treatment. A contractor installed the system yesterday and also sprayed the under-house area. Sure beats having post-construction drilling thru tiled floors to inject poison.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

^That's a good idea... something in-built to treat termites....

Out of interest, are fleas often a problem in Thai houses? With all the animals running around...
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Cadet Gold
    Hi all just wondering how good the construction is ,the reason i ask this is i had a few friends build houses in the phillipines ,it was a nightmare for them they almost had to live on the sight so that the builders would not cut corners and sell materials whilst there homes were being built .Now please dont get me wrong i am asking if the builders there can be trusted as my friends had a hell of a time in the phillipines ,to add to this a hobby of mine is to check out real estate in thailand ,the prices and types of homes for sale in a number of areas from chaing mai to nong khai rayong ect ,i will be interested to see the finished product and total cost of this dwelling ,i have seen other videos on utube in regards to buying new homes in chaing mai mainly two storey places which as one gets older may not be such a good idea unless you think your edmond hillary ,i have a problem though even though you can see the prices of real estate there you dont know what the area is like ,good ,bad full of crims ect just another thing to think about .

Cadet silver
    Great thread. Looking forward to reading more on this one.

What is the general feeling when it comes to building vs buying?? Everything I read about building a house in LOS puts me off. To me, buying an older property cheap enough and then renovating/adapting it to one's own requirements seems the more attractive option. Rather than having the hassle of building from scratch?? It's not something we're going to be in a position to do for a very, very long time. But my wife and I do eventually plan to retire in LOS so it's good to have a longterm plan

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    Great thread. Looking forward to reading more on this one.

What is the general feeling when it comes to building vs buying?? Everything I read about building a house in LOS puts me off. To me, buying an older property cheap enough and then renovating/adapting it to one's own requirements seems the more attractive option. Rather than having the hassle of building from scratch?? It's not something we're going to be in a position to do for a very, very long time. But my wife and I do eventually plan to retire in LOS so it's good to have a longterm plan
    The only hassle with buying established is as you probably know already you dont know what the neighbour hood is like ,it is like where i live now some houses are really nice and maintianed ,others are owned by children of deceased realtives and are rented to googans and they look terrible , in my street the first 3 houses look good but as you go down to the end the googans have moved in grass 4 feet high in the front yard ,old caravans ect .

Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    Hi all just wondering how good the construction is~
    Having been in the building industry I always look at construction sites with a critical eye. I saw many shoddy practices around Phuket: poor formwork, out-of-plumb walls, sub standard materials etc. All was covered up by render and paint to look quite smart upon completion ... but if you look closely the tell-tales are there. Conversely, our Kamala house (and Chobs) was built to a very high standard.

Isaan construction appears to be more old-world high standard albeit with least use of modern materials due to cost. eg: Q-con aerated blocks, and aluminium joinery are not as commonly used in Isaan. Nothing wrong with workmanship... generally top quality!

Chiang Mai is all masonry and steel construction and I seldom see brick homes although one is u/c nearby. It's a 4m Bt 2-storey house using interlocking bricks as the owner wants an earthquake proof house!

This method may survive a minor quake without walls collapsing and save injury or death but comes at a high cost. Minor tremors have never (to my knowledge) caused any damage in CM. He's also installing double glazed PVC framed windows, to guard against heat ingress, a/c loss, yet the flat-profile roof tile used had NO sarking to prevent water ingress. In the West, Monier will not guarantee such roof tiles unless (inexpensive) sarking is used.

The quantity of steel going in footings, beams, piers etc in the house (TOP) is startling. All load-bearing concrete is pre-mix, delivered, not hand mixed. All roofs are constructed out of steel, not timber.

Around us, house construction and quality of finish is excellent. 3 builders we've talked to are all professional and have quoted ~ 2m Bt for 300 sq/m 2-storey house. We're still looking at options and await feed-back on a renovator I'd really like to buy as a project house.
    Cheers, Rob.

Spending 3 mil in LOS might not make sense but 1 Mil in a spot that you like and you feel prob wont change to much makes sense to me.
    30k or there abouts is less than a new car in OZ that by the time is paid off really becomes about 45k......That makes even less sense to me.

A well built Thai house will be there for many years to come unlike many condo's I have watched go up now that is not good workmanship in most cases.

Condo's make no sense to buy as the maintenance is soooo lacking. That and cheep to rent.

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Spending 3 mil in LOS might not make sense but 1 Mil in a spot that you like and you feel prob wont change to much makes sense to me.
    30k or there abouts is less than a new car in OZ that by the time is paid off really becomes about 45k......That makes even less sense to me.

A well built Thai house will be there for many years to come unlike many condo's I have watched go up now that is not good workmanship in most cases.

Condo's make no sense to buy as the maintenance is soooo lacking. That and cheep to rent.
    The houses i have looked at in chaing mai are around between 40,000 and 70,000 aus i think any more and it s to big an investment ,some houses even in the lower range of say 30-35 with good renovation would come up a treat ,i am a carpenter by trade and have done aluminium work ,joinery,shopfitting ect so the reno path is good for me but if you dont have these skills it could be costly and stressfull ,i could not live in a condo maybe some like it but not for me i would sooner live in a tent by the river no trees ,no grass just not for me like living in a shoe box yes probably close to everything but do you want to be in car fumes all day and night noise from people and trucks ect no not for me.

Cadet Gold
    Having been in the building industry I always look at construction sites with a critical eye. I saw many shoddy practices around Phuket: poor formwork, out-of-plumb walls, sub standard materials etc. All was covered up by render and paint to look quite smart upon completion ... but if you look closely the tell-tales are there. Conversely, our Kamala house (and Chobs) was built to a very high standard.

Isaan construction appears to be more old-world high standard albeit with least use of modern materials due to cost. eg: Q-con aerated blocks, and aluminium joinery are not as commonly used in Isaan. Nothing wrong with workmanship... generally top quality!

Chiang Mai is all masonry and steel construction and I seldom see brick homes although one is u/c nearby. It's a 4m Bt 2-storey house using interlocking bricks as the owner wants an earthquake proof house!

This method may survive a minor quake without walls collapsing and save injury or death but comes at a high cost. Minor tremors have never (to my knowledge) caused any damage in CM. He's also installing double glazed PVC framed windows, to guard against heat ingress, a/c loss, yet the flat-profile roof tile used had NO sarking to prevent water ingress. In the West, Monier will not guarantee such roof tiles unless (inexpensive) sarking is used.

The quantity of steel going in footings, beams, piers etc in the house (TOP) is startling. All load-bearing concrete is pre-mix, delivered, not hand mixed. All roofs are constructed out of steel, not timber.

Around us, house construction and quality of finish is excellent. 3 builders we've talked to are all professional and have quoted ~ 2m Bt for 300 sq/m 2-storey house. We're still looking at options and await feed-back on a renovator I'd really like to buy as a project house.
    Hi kaptain can you give a ball park figure on cost of single story 3 bedroom and say the same in 2 story ,i would just like to get some idea ,as i said i have seen videos of builders advertising in shopping malls but i dont know how old it is and what the builder is like always pas to see previuos work and talk to residents about how good/bad they think it is .

Hi kaptain can you give a ball park figure on cost of single story 3 bedroom and say the same in 2 story ,i would just like to get some idea ,as i said i have seen videos of builders advertising in shopping malls but i dont know how old it is and what the builder is like always pas to see previuos work and talk to residents about how good/bad they think it is .
    Our rented house is a spacious (by Thai standards) 100 sq/m 2 bedder with 2 bathrooms and full western kitchen. The carport is separate. To build this in basic spec, complete with ceramic tiling and painted ready to move in would cost approx 800k.

As per my last post, a quality fitted, 300 sq/m 2 storey house costs approx 2m Bt to build on acceptable land size of say 450 sq/m @ 1.2m Bt, + fence, gate etc = 3.5mil all up ready to move in.

I feel there's better value in buying a renovator. Eg: House ~150 sq/m on leafy 680 sq/m block we've offered less than 1.8m Bt. I would add a new 70 sq/m living room and spend less than 500k on total renovations but would take me 12 months ... an enjoyable project!
    Cheers, Rob.

The beauty of a reno might be getting the locals to come in a and gut it back to the bricks and start again.

The houses i have looked at in chaing mai are around between 40,000 and 70,000 aus i think any more and it s to big an investment ,some houses even in the lower range of say 30-35 with good renovation would come up a treat ,i am a carpenter by trade and have done aluminium work ,joinery,shopfitting ect so the reno path is good for me but if you dont have these skills it could be costly and stressfull ,i could not live in a condo maybe some like it but not for me i would sooner live in a tent by the river no trees ,no grass just not for me like living in a shoe box yes probably close to everything but do you want to be in car fumes all day and night noise from people and trucks ect no not for me.
    I think we're on the same wavelength

We looked long and hard for a suitable area or mooban, and settle on this one for it's location and potential. We're 10 mins from town, 5 mins from CNX, yet surrounded by trees and a good mix of housing from 1.6mil up to 45mil acreage mansions.

One small house ~90 sq/m on 240 sq/m pocket-hankie sized block recently sold for 1.4mil. We looked, but land was way too small and house needed a kitchen and carport ... would suit someone who didn't want gardens.
    Cheers, Rob.

Cadet Gold
    I think we're on the same wavelength

We looked long and hard for a suitable area or mooban, and settle on this one for it's location and potential. We're 10 mins from town, 5 mins from CNX, yet surrounded by trees and a good mix of housing from 1.6mil up to 45mil acreage mansions.

One small house ~90 sq/m on 240 sq/m pocket-hankie sized block recently sold for 1.4mil. We looked, but land was way too small and house needed a kitchen and carport ... would suit someone who didn't want gardens.
    800,000 baht that is so cheap for a new home ,the ones i have seen have been around 20 mins from chaing mai ,1.4 million for a house that size my god a fool born every minute ,i have seen some houses that have a small garden area ,i dont think many of the new 2 story places have a garden at all by what i have seen ,would like to have some trees and some green not just concrete ,trees are natural shade for people and houses as you now here now the homes dont have any or little grassed area dont need a victa anymore just a set of sharp scissors

Have a look at prices quoted here > ????????????????? <
    The site doesn't appear to have been updated for ~ 2 years, not that prices have changed much.

See the bottom house, this one >

The owner built it a year ago @ ~1.4m complete with extra room/study + small internal kitchen and had it rented out for 6 months. It's been empty for over 6 months as he's asking 15k pcm rental which is too much with NO carport etc... It's also now on the market all over-grown) at a crazy ask of 2.5 mil. We've spoken to him by phone once; he's a dreamer. 1.8m would pull it up!

Nice little house actually, emphasis on little!
    Cheers, Rob.

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar
    The black pvc hose and nozzle sprayers are for periodic termite treatment. A contractor installed the system yesterday and also sprayed the under-house area. Sure beats having post-construction drilling thru tiled floors to inject poison.

My nextdoor neighbour here in Perth did an extension lastyear and part of the requirement was to have termite spray tubes through the pad, must be necessary here as well ?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    My nextdoor neighbour here in Perth did an extension lastyear and part of the requirement was to have termite spray tubes through the pad, must be necessary here as well ?
    Never saw it in Qld but its a great system for periodic treatment. Raft slab treatments like term-mesh can and do fail.

The installer had a neat backpack sprayer like this for pre-treatment >
    Cheers, Rob.

Cadet Gold
    Have a look at prices quoted here > ????????????????? <
    The site doesn't appear to have been updated for ~ 2 years, not that prices have changed much.

See the bottom house, this one >

The owner built it a year ago @ ~1.4m complete with extra room/study + small internal kitchen and had it rented out for 6 months. It's been empty for over 6 months as he's asking 15k pcm rental which is too much with NO carport etc... It's also now on the market all over-grown) at a crazy ask of 2.5 mil. We've spoken to him by phone once; he's a dreamer. 1.8m would pull it up!

Nice little house actually, emphasis on little!
    Nice looking house but from what i have heard you would be better trying for around 200 per month rental ,the 2 story house is nice and one of the three bedroom single story is okay to ,do they let you change the internal layout or is it a fixed layout ,was thinking if you took out 1 bedroom makes the lounge heaps bigger

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast