Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Construction accidents waiting to happen.

Construction accidents waiting to happen.

I'm not sure if this has been done before but I just want to see if any of you guys have photos or stories of dodgy construction work going on. Accidents waiting to happen. There should be plenty of pics from LOS. 5555

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359795372.312383.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359795394.504540.jpg

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    The 2nd pic the guy has a hard hat on!.....

Your actually allowed to walk on the top plate here in Oz without railing as long as it's a single story.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Got a couple from my last trip ...
    By local standards this construction site is probably a very safe one ... but the vehicles on the elevated area with no containment and the guys weaving the "reo" bars still make me stare ...

GFF_Oct12 033a.jpgGFF_Oct12 034a.jpg
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    The 2nd pic the guy has a hard hat on!.....

Your actually allowed to walk on the top plate here in Oz without railing as long as it's a single story.
    PBB, It may be different in each state but here you have to have either an anchored safty harness or safty rails even for single storey.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    PBB, It may be different in each state but here you have to have either an anchored safty harness or safty rails even for single storey.
    Iv'e done the white card OHS which is the Australian standard covering all states... walking on the top plate in frame state as long as the ground is flat and the wall height is 2.4m is acceptable.... once the trusses go on and the facia and gutter, railing is required to do the roof.

If you do 9' or 10' ceilings a mobile scaffold is required on a single story.... you cant attach either a harness or safety rail to much during frame state.

Worksafe will pull you up if the site drops away or there is excessive rubbish on the site but strangely not for balancing on top of a 70mm wide piece of timber with a nail gun in your hand 2.4m off the ground....
    It's a contradiction that they will do you if your standing on the top plate of your 1.8m ladder that could have a 300mm x 200mm step (and even the next step down) where as something 600mm higher and 130mm narrower is fine.

Sorry PBB, all our wall heights/ceilings are 2.6 so I guess thats why.

Makes sense... the higher ceilings are becoming more and more popular nowdays.

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Got a couple from my last trip ...
    By local standards this construction site is probably a very safe one ... but the vehicles on the elevated area with no containment and the guys weaving the "reo" bars still make me stare ...

GFF_Oct12 033a.jpgGFF_Oct12 034a.jpg
    One slip from those guys doing the reo and they'll be skewered. Not a chance in hell I'd do that. That's definitely a job I'd give to the apprentice. 5555555

Which state are you in JC1?

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    One slip from those guys doing the reo and they'll be skewered. Not a chance in hell I'd do that. That's definitely a job I'd give to the apprentice. 5555555
    Easy fixed just come and do a quick pour.

Cadet silver
    Not so much a construction story. But I remember sitting having a beer at a mates bar in Phuket. I was just sitting watching the world go by one afternoon when a couple of workers turned up opposite the bar. They must have been electritions or phone company guys or something. Anyway one guy arrives with a massive long bamboo ladder, proceeds lean it against the power cables, rather than the post, facing downwards on a steel hill and then scampers to the top of the ladder with it thrashing around beneath him. I just remember laughing and thinking if it was in the UK, then the health & Safety guys would have the company shut down 555 TIT

RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by toddmeister View Post
    Not so much a construction story. But I remember sitting having a beer at a mates bar in Phuket. I was just sitting watching the world go by one afternoon when a couple of workers turned up opposite the bar. They must have been electritions or phone company guys or something. Anyway one guy arrives with a massive long bamboo ladder, proceeds lean it against the power cables, rather than the post, facing downwards on a steel hill and then scampers to the top of the ladder with it thrashing around beneath him. I just remember laughing and thinking if it was in the UK, then the health & Safety guys would have the company shut down 555 TIT
    Like this guy at Kata Beach, you could hear the cracking from the electricity as he pulled and spliced wires

RIP Cilla (Craig) Platinum Cilla's Avatar
    Watched this guy on a high rise building site next to the Asia Hotel.

F@rk, Work Place Health and Safety would have a heart attack here and the site closed till all employees received retraining and the company fined tens of thousand of dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Cilla View Post

F@rk, Work Place Health and Safety would have a heart attack here and the site closed till all employees received retraining and the company fined tens of thousand of dollars

That is crazy!! I would be sheeting my self. (Scared of heights)

Quote Originally Posted by Bren View Post
    Which state are you in JC1?
    I'm in Townsville North Qld. It's not compulsory to do 2.6 ceilings, but that is what our (my ex) company does, so we are always needing the safety barriers.

I'm in Townsville North Qld. It's not compulsory to do 2.6 ceilings, but that is what our (my ex) company does, so we are always needing the safety barriers.
    Yeah it's the same here in sydney. The higher ceilings are more popular with houses I think but the 2.4 is more standard for apartments.

Cadet Gold
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Iv'e done the white card OHS which is the Australian standard covering all states... walking on the top plate in frame state as long as the ground is flat and the wall height is 2.4m is acceptable.... once the trusses go on and the facia and gutter, railing is required to do the roof.

If you do 9' or 10' ceilings a mobile scaffold is required on a single story.... you cant attach either a harness or safety rail to much during frame state.

Worksafe will pull you up if the site drops away or there is excessive rubbish on the site but strangely not for balancing on top of a 70mm wide piece of timber with a nail gun in your hand 2.4m off the ground....
    It's a contradiction that they will do you if your standing on the top plate of your 1.8m ladder that could have a 300mm x 200mm step (and even the next step down) where as something 600mm higher and 130mm narrower is fine.
    Yea its weird aint it ,when i was shopfitting we had one site safety officer who would make you wear your hard hat inside the cupboards when installing them ,no one wanted to go there so we sent the appys hahahahahaha

Cadet Gold

We did a job at one of the rfineries working on the cooling towers ,thats how we got up there load all the tools and materials into the cranes basket and away we go about 5 stories in 1 minutes what a buzz

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Like this guy at Kata Beach, you could hear the cracking from the electricity as he pulled and spliced wires

Cilla, hope you do not mind me using your photo as an illustration to what I saw.
    Walking in Patong up by Hard Rock one night, the guy up the ladder in your photo was arc welding (I think), something up near the top of the power pole with no mask. The guy on the bottom of the ladder (with no hard hat) was holding it with one arm and doing a dance and patting his head with the other hand.
    I was cracking up with laughing as what was happening was the hot bits from the welding job were falling on the guy holding the ladders head and he was trying to get them off and hold the ladder at the same time. You could smell his hair burning as we walked past.
    Times like that I you wish you had a camera.

Some time ago I posted a video of guys servicing TV antenna's that are so far off the ground the quickest way down is by parachute.

Last week on the ABC there was a show called "Big Problems" I think, and it showed this team that had to replace the top of the tower, I can't find a link, it was amazing how they did it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast