Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ozzi bbq

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar

Ozzi bbq

Just going through Homepro first time I have seen anywhere in LOS that sells what I would call a BBQ.....Prices are up there so makes me think not a big demand.
    There is a big expat population in LOS I know not from Oz but we are not the only BBQing nation....
    What do you do for a BBQ in LOS?
    Or is it no longer something that is needed of relevent?
    27990.bt at Homepro

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    Was told we were having BBQ prawns in Issan and the first thing that popped into my mind was a hot plate with some charcoal resting between a couple of bricks....
    Well the charcoal was there and that was about it... the prawns were placed on a mesh and cooked directly over the charcoal...
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    There is a big expat population in LOS I know not from Oz but we are not the only BBQing nation....
    What do you do for a BBQ in LOS?
    I either go to to an Isaan style bbq place,Thais love them,or buy bbq fish,chicken or pork off street stalls and take it home.

BBQ`s are very expensive here.

Barbecues Thailand - The Largest Barbecue Retailer Thai & Australian Managed Immediate Delivery Countrywide

BBQ Thailand. Quik-Fire, the Barbecue of all Gas Barbecues in stainless steel.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

BBQ galore who would have thought.
    They should be cheap after all they are mostly made in China..

Home made might be the go a couple of decent ring burners under a big 10mil sheet of steel.

BBQ galore who would have thought.
    They should be cheap after all they are mostly made in China..

Home made might be the go a couple of decent ring burners under a big 10mil sheet of steel.
    ^That's an excellent way to go, brickwork sides and one gas ring would be enough. I'll do similar eventually, as well as building in our 900 Bt SS charcoal bbq. It's a beauty for the price, good for 4 persons. More than double the satay cooker size (below) and with 2 racks.

A large sack of charcoal is only 160 Bt and will probably last a year. The resinous wood pulp fire lighter stuff ~ 30 Bt and no paper/kindling needed.

We also use a clay-pot bbq, just for the 2 of us. It cost 210 Bt.

Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Can`t beat this style....load up the family and hangers on and head to the local,aroi mak mak

Attached Images Attached Images
    wabbits, Gazmac and Spot like this.

^^^Love the stainless one Rob looks a handy unit.
    Sort of thing I could see us using a lot.

^^^Love the stainless one Rob looks a handy unit.
    Sort of thing I could see us using a lot.
    Nothing wrong with Lew's Isaan bbq ... 120 Bt and no washing up!

There's a lot of 'home-made' 1/2 20L steel drum type bbq's for sale on roadsides, but they rust out in no time and soon look awful, especially if stored away between visits.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Foundation Member Uber Star Norabunga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    I either go to to an Isaan style bbq place,Thais love them,or buy bbq fish,chicken or pork off street stalls and take it home.

BBQ`s are very expensive here.

Barbecues Thailand - The Largest Barbecue Retailer Thai & Australian Managed Immediate Delivery Countrywide

BBQ Thailand. Quik-Fire, the Barbecue of all Gas Barbecues in stainless steel.
    The guy I bought my Versys from owns the BBQ galore store in CM. I've seen some decent BBQs in the Rimping across the river from DUP too. Dunno why they're so expensive. Probably for the same reason anything else that's imported is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    Can`t beat this style....load up the family and hangers on and head to the local,aroi mak mak

Used to go to a place in Patts 120bt all you can eat.
    and we have one in village gets a workout.
    Have one of these here but MW would rather have what you got.

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Can still see Mrs W running across that car park Wabbs !

Quote Originally Posted by Gazmac View Post
    Can still see Mrs W running across that car park Wabbs !
    Moo's BBQ spotted at a 100 paces.55555

When it comes to BBQ`s here in LOS you can forget about steak,it`s seriously hard to find a decent cut especially out in the boonies and the TG`s don`t go for it.
    I never eat steak here but i especially like the pork,eat a lot of it.

So you`ll mainly be cooking chicken,pork and fish. The Thai`s do that on their little pot type cookers or what KR has.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    My 2 satangs worth - if you are cooking on a plate you are frying.
    BBQs should have an open grill.
    Even the Isaan hubcaps have holes in them - I'm just not too sure about cooking on highly heated aluminium ...

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    My 2 satangs worth - if you are cooking on a plate you are frying.
    BBQs should have an open grill.
    Even the Isaan hubcaps have holes in them - I'm just not too sure about cooking on highly heated aluminium ...
    Had this conversation with MW about my thoughts on aluminium as she eyes off one of those big steamers in the Asian markets...She got a nice stainless one.555555

Cadet Gold
    Charcoal and a rack sounds good to me ,when you rotisery a pig or lamb you dont have all these fancy contraptions just charcoal and it cooks in its own juices ,the stainless box looks okay but for me the 44 gal drum is good ,drill a hole in the bottom for water if it gets in there ,cheap as easy to replace and if you are concerened about the bottom burning out raise the charcoal on a form of rack ,bet it would taste better than one of those fancy ones .

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crispy View Post
    Charcoal and a rack sounds good to me ,when you rotisery a pig or lamb you dont have all these fancy contraptions just charcoal and it cooks in its own juices ,the stainless box looks okay but for me the 44 gal drum is good ,drill a hole in the bottom for water if it gets in there ,cheap as easy to replace and if you are concerened about the bottom burning out raise the charcoal on a form of rack ,bet it would taste better than one of those fancy ones .
    Absolutely - seen many a half drum BBQ last many years here using your tips.
    With a rack for the charcoal/heat beads /briquettes you can have holes to allow airflow under the fire and easy cleaning out of ash after.
    Last edited by Zablive; 6th February 2013 at 13:27.
    crispy likes this.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    "Yair...Dunno why there is even a Barbecues Galore franchise with shops everywhere when all you's need is half a 44 gallon drum, just cut it down wiv yer angle grinder in the shed mate...yer can get one home in the boot of yer P76. Chainsaw down a few (Local council green initiative sponsored) trees and make yer own charcoal, might even win a meat tray in the pub chook raffle..."
    wabbits likes this.
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

^^First time I have seen P76 in a sentence for awhile.55555

For me a big flat plate for my steaks be it Moo of beef will be the go.
    Dave up near the Mekong has told be you can get good beef steak and he used to have an Ozzi BBQ night every Friday and all the local expats would gather.
    He said as good as Oz but this is a he said.
    We have bought large lumps of beef at the local market a little tough but prepped right can still be a good meal.

BBQ duck Issan style

yung rai kwa suea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast