Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: ceiling tiles

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar

ceiling tiles

Hey Rob you hung some ceiling tiles at Jo's parents?

I dismissed the idea of using them for the more Ozzi way of doing things.
    But am changing my mind from the point of access ease of hanging fans, lights etc.
    That and throwing bats above them.

Cost I know they are cheap far cheaper than the traditional way.
    My thinking is they will be more practical in the long run.
    Not as clean looking but how often do you look at your ceiling once your used to it...

What are your thoughts Rob??

For the baan, they're fine! Once up they're finished, no painting required. We got the plain (slightly textured) tiles as I absolutely hate patterned ones.... so does Jo.

Our bedroom was 6m x 3m = 18 sq/m and installed cost was 3,000 baht + insulation @ 2k bt.

For a modern CNX house I'd be doing sheet plasterboard although I'm not sure of difference in cost. Ceiling fans and light fixing needs to be pre-planned either way so that reinforcing (wood back-block) can be placed for screwing heavy fans up to. Installers know what to do.

For living areas, the cheap ~ 600 baht ceiling fans are ok with their 3 speeds: fast, faster and bloody gale force! For bedroom, get a ~1200 bt variable speed model as they are so much quieter and you can lower the speed to a gentle swish, swish.

IMO, wall fans are essential. Easy as to install during construction. ~ 900 bt for a good (mitsubishi) brand, they should be placed up high in an external wall at opposite side of room to any window. The idea being to drag cool (still) night air in across the room. They're virtually silent too and may be used in conjunction with ceiling fan for the best and cheapest cooling imagineable. You know how still those hot Isaan nights are, not like living in Perth or Kamala where you can get a sea breeze.

Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Oh, I forgot .... I quite often look at the ceiling tiles whilst lying in bed .... waiting for Jo to apply creams and lotions before retiring. In the lounge I think they actually look nicer than a sheeted ceiling due to the large area 18m x 6m from memory, cost 15k bt.

Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

^^^^Plain white is tidy enough it feels a bit officy but there is a substantial cost difference to the plaster board.
    The other thing that puts me off plaster board is I have been into many houses in BKK or Pats or Phuket and can see the sag or the nail pulls in ceilings that are just not that old.
    Or ceilings that have fallen away most likely due to crap installation.
    Where as a light ceiling that is easily refreshable might be the better option.
    They also tell me they breath better letting the hot air travel up easier.

But with you the plainer the better.

I don't think any hot air rises past/thru the ceiling once insulation is installed as it is effectively sealed. I no-more-gapped the small gaps between wall and ceiling strip (due to irregular wall rendering) to stop ants/spiders/geckos getting into our bedroom. Each visit back home has found our room squeaky clean and pest free.

If a house suffers any roof damage and subsequent rain ingress, the plaster tiles can be replaced easily, unlike repairs to sheet plaster-board!
    Last edited by wabbits; 12th March 2013 at 11:20.
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    I don't think any hot air rises past/thru the ceiling once insulation is installed as it is effectively sealed. I no-more-gapped the small gaps between wall and ceiling strip (due to irregular wall rendering) to stop ants/spiders/geckos getting into our bedroom. Each visit back home has found our room squeaky clean and pest free.

If a house suffers any roof damage and subsequent rain ingress, the plaster tiles can be replaced easily, unlike repairs to sheet plaster-board!
    Aesthetically maybe not as nice as a std Oz ceiling but a more practicable idea considering we will be remote for a lot of the time.
    Reading some info from another site they did say they breathed but that maybe opinion.
    Also easy to then throw batts about which we will do.

Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Aesthetically maybe not as nice as a std Oz ceiling but a more practicable idea considering we will be remote for a lot of the time.
    Reading some info from another site they did say they breathed but that maybe opinion.
    Also easy to then throw batts about which we will do.
    Whoever wrote that wasn't painting a correct picture ... you should ignore it.

They'll breathe if (like so many Isaan houses) there are no soffits, until you cover ceiling tiles with foil wrapped insulation blanket. Bear in mind, a ceiling that breathes will also allow dust to filter down out the roof space.... not a good thing!

Most important will be insulation batts blanket - our ceiling installers rolled it out whilst placing the tiles and I went up later to smooth the rolls, some snagged on wire hangers, and fill any voids.

If I build or renovate soon, (and install a/c) I'll buy a thicker blanket @ 24,000 baht for 150 sq/m2 - it doesn't take must a/c cooling capacity to make a living space or bedroom comfortable and electricity is still cheap.
    Cheers, Rob.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    He might have meant that the tiles absorb more so than plasterboard rather than breath!.....

They will hold a level of EMC (equilibrium moisture content) as they are a fibrous board, which means that it will remove a portion of the humidity from the air... Plasterboard tends to go mouldy in that environment as the surrounding paper is the only thing that will absorb, especially if the wrong paint has been applied.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    He might have meant that the tiles absorb more so than plasterboard rather than breath!.....

They will hold a level of EMC (equilibrium moisture content) as they are a fibrous board, which means that it will remove a portion of the humidity from the air... Plasterboard tends to go mouldy in that environment as the surrounding paper is the only thing that will absorb, especially if the wrong paint has been applied.
    Would that be why you see a more rapid deterioration of the plaster board, the mould factor??

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    No... like you said bad installation with a combination of cheap paint quality.
    Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer.

Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post

I agree with that explanation.
    Cheers, Rob.