Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Some Buildings make you wonder

Platinum

Some Buildings make you wonder

This is on the high road above Nanai in Patong.
    Kinda have to ask the question, why would you build there in the first place?
    DSC00697 (960x1280).jpg
    DSC00698 (1280x960) (2).jpg
    DSC00701 (1280x960).jpg
    Last edited by TLandHim; 25th May 2013 at 15:46.

Platinum
    And one year later, but they have put a sign up.

DSC03677 (1280x850).jpg
    DSC03673 (1280x850).jpg
    DSC03674 (1280x850).jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Maybe they needed this engineer. He owns and built this on the side of the hill in Townsville, it had no trouble with the level 5 Cyclone "Yasi".

"Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Platinum
    [QUOTE=justcruzing1;76199]Maybe they needed this engineer. He owns and built this on the side of the hill in Townsville, it had no trouble with the level 5 Cyclone "Yasi".

Holy s***
    That is just amazing
    I bet the local council were scratching their brains on that to stop it.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Maybe they needed this engineer. He owns and built this on the side of the hill in Townsville, it had no trouble with the level 5 Cyclone "Yasi".

Are they bamboo poles supporting it - Thai style?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TLandHim View Post
    This is on the high road above Nanai in Patong.
    Kinda have to ask the question, why would you build there in the first place?
    DSC00697 (960x1280).jpg
    DSC00698 (1280x960) (2).jpg
    DSC00701 (1280x960).jpg
    LivinLOS on PI/AI was living in that house when the landslide happened. Fortunately he was away on Bali at the time but I heard his house mate was at home.

There was a reasonable perimeter of land around the house but then someone started a development at the bottom of the hill and to maximize their build area cut into the hill with obvious consequences, a massive landslide.
    Last edited by Soupdragon; 26th May 2013 at 01:24.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Soupy is correct , except LiLs house once stood Between the house and block of flats in Post 1. ( Im pretty sure ...LiLs house was gone when I moved to Patong in Feb 2008)
    By the time of your photo Lils rental house ( another good reason to rent here) and pool were long gone , though the pool lasted a couple of years after his house went over the edge.

My brother rented the top flat in the end gable of the flats to the right about 3 years back. Funnily enough once you were inside you forgot all about it ...There had been a lot of money spent underpinning it .
    Im not 100% sure , but I think I heard it was local government workers who actually cut back the land below and them being sued, not that it couldnt havent eroded eventually , given Phukets soft eroded granite soils...

A spectacular c0ck up hey?
    Last edited by Chob; 26th May 2013 at 04:37.

Platinum
    Thanks for the info Chob and Soupdragon
    Very interesting, just glad LivinLOS was renting.
    Seen a lot of development up the coast road towards Nai Thon and it looks equally suspect.
    Kind of makes you wonder who buys them. Many are aimed at the tourist market and I wonder how carefully people check these out before putting a deposit down.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    You can check the engineering plans but the actual concrete mix, rebar, pilings and retaining walls (55!) may bear little correlation to them it seems.
    There just seems to be an almost complete lack of a sense of responsibility to retaining their land, from above and below, until there is a rockfall.
    Last edited by Zablive; 26th May 2013 at 13:22.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Soupdragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    Soupy is correct , except LiLs house once stood Between the house and block of flats in Post 1. ( Im pretty sure ...LiLs house was gone when I moved to Patong in Feb 2008)
    That is actually Lils villa hanging over the edge. Finley Lils housemate was in the bedroom that is on the corner that is no longer supported, actually sat on the crapper, when the land slipped. I was in the house a few days after shifting stuff out to a safe location.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupdragon View Post
    That is actually Lils villa hanging over the edge. Finley Lils housemate was in the bedroom that is on the corner that is no longer supported, actually sat on the crapper, when the land slipped. I was in the house a few days after shifting stuff out to a safe location.
    Ok , I must be out with my dates somehow and sorry Soupy,
    The land in the middle did look a bit skinny...
    Last edited by Chob; 27th May 2013 at 05:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Soupdragon View Post
    I'm sure a memorable dump, mud-slide or fast evacuation ensued.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน
    That seems quite common wherever you are in Thailand. The highways and main roads in the mountains are the same. Many times I've come around a corner of some road I had been on previously to find this...

They put the warning cone right at the precipice. Not much help if you are driving at night.

A year later they DID finally do a good job of fixing it, though.

At the previous washout they just replaced the clay with more clay and that place will probably washout again.