Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House Rental - and the art of 'doing a runner'

House Rental - and the art of 'doing a runner'

Yesterday discovered our neighbours, couple 30s, had done a runner either Monday or Tuesday night.

Cleaned the 1bdr house out of possessions (though left it filthy inside) and took the external aircon unit as well. Behind with rent, two months overdue electricity and water. Electricity was cut off yesterday, which lead to landlord entering the house to find . . . nothing.
    Surprised (as was landlord) they'd been there most of this year, quiet, no trouble.

2. The previous tenant did a similar 'escape'; a string of lies to landlord about salary delay so they let her stay without paying rent, she too went one night (payday, left her job at Top Charoen the optical place without giving notice) - gone, unpaid rent, water, electricity. The night before she went she was on our doorstep asking to borrow 2000 baht till Friday as her salary hadn't gone through' so she was out to get all she could. Despite her micro-mini and nice, errr, eyes, I said 'no'. Her work colleague was more trusting, and lost money on that promise.

3. Last (end of school term) year a UK English teacher did a runner - knowing he had just a 6th contract he had plenty of time to plan and told that property's owner he was away for school hols; never came back of course and again left bills for internet, electric, water, rent. Told by a teacher that in good faith the school paid outstanding bills and hoped to recover it from the agency they had hired him through. Don't know if they succeeded.

4. I had a 'righteous run-in' with one of my fellow countrymen after he told me he was 'just going to f*** off, they'll never catch up with me'. And he's right, they wouldn't have. He'd signed a 12mth lease and was going to walk out after 5mths, would have put us on the spot as my partner had done the house hunting, translated, negotiated a rent reduction on basis 12mths, we practically went guarantor for a stranger (stupid, I know). If he had, as he politely put it, 'f***ed off' I'd have felt liable to pay all his bills in a small town and house about 250m from ours.

MY QUESTION IS
    Who'd be a landlord?

I've read of foreigners having rental properties here in eg wife's name but is this 'running' so common? Must be a nightmare with no real security/bond over tenants.

After Miss Micro-mini I did suggest to owner (they own our house as well) they get/keep three months rent in advance but they said no-one would agree to that.
    Last edited by Hatari; 7th November 2013 at 13:47.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    As always there are thieves on both sides of the fence.... I am surprised that your landlord does not ask for some sort of a deposit to cover possible lease agreement defaults.
    I just suppose that in a small town where accommodation may be plentiful, it may be difficult to find tenants?
    Was the place fully furnished?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    get them to pay 6 months in advance is another option...better to have an empty-untenanted house rather than one missing furniture,fittings.
    normally the utilities would be in the tenants name so up to them to track them down. also if charges were laid (theft of landlords property) they`d have border crossing-visa-running or leaving the country?
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    i don't know the exact amount but i know in BKK Thai areas, they do ask for a decent amount of deposit

first two examples I gave were Thai tenants, the next two those naughty farang

Re utilities - as with the place we rented in Phuket some of the accounts are in the name of the property owner, not tenant. Some sense in this, eg Phuket landlady would come around with individual power accounts for each of the 5 villas on the property and either pay her 'now' or tomorrow at latest. Times we were away she'd pay it and come to me with the receipt - and they held rent in advance as security.
    Locally eg I couldn't get TOT to connect internet here without the landlord's ID card and tabien baan copy and that account is in his name; yet cable TV is in my name; water and electric are in their name - no tabien baan, no service seems to e the Chanthaburi way.

Despite having copies of these runaway Thai tenants' ID cards police are not interested in small matters - a 'your problem' I imagine.

The simplest answer is the 3mth rent in advance - maybe next time? The 'problem' if that's the word is that they are nice people, middle-aged who bought land and built three houses 3-2-1 bedrooms on adjoining sections, live in the main one and rent the others fo long-term/retirement investment/income. Too trusting.

Accomm is hard to find here, we've been on the lookout all this year for a small house with a little land around it; we're in our 3rd year in this place (new when we moved in) but lack of outdoor living space a drawback. Townhouse/shophouse options being built all the time but I wouldn't live in one.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    i don't know the exact amount but i know in BKK Thai areas, they do ask for a decent amount of deposit
    sensible, sadly i think our landlords are too trusting; remember one instance where they loaned the tenant money as well as letting her delay that months rent.
    Live and learn i suppose.

I will add here that we are fantastic tenants, look after the place like it was our own.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Here in Aust. there is landlord protection Insurance as well as Ticka, a register of all tenants that Estate agents and landlords can check with for details of previous history.

So here those tenants would not be able to rent again anywhere in the country.

Likewise with electric co's, they cross exchange details on clients.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    its common practice here for at least one months rent in advance(deposit..)..this rarely gets paid back as the landlord always finds some sort of damages..the trick is to delay paying your last months rent..

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน chelski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    Here in Aust. there is landlord protection Insurance as well as Ticka, a register of all tenants that Estate agents and landlords can check with for details of previous history.

So here those tenants would not be able to rent again anywhere in the country.

Likewise with electric co's, they cross exchange details on clients.
    Problem with the tenants database as opposed to the Veda credit reporting database is that with the tenants one, if you have a black mark for not paying etc, as soon as that payment or problem is fixed, all evidence is wiped from the database. With the Veda credit rating one, defaults are left on there for 5 years and judgments for 7. After that they are wiped.
    In that 5 or 7 year period if you settle the debt it will be noted on your file, but will still stay visible for all agencies to see.

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    .... I will add here that we are fantastic tenants, look after the place like it was our own.
    Playing the long game ....

Enjoy
    Life is the unexpected ...

^^^ Sorry but with Ticka it depends on the agent/landlord.
    I paid my GF's outstanding rent and fees to her ex agent.

4 yrs later we applied in T'ville jointly for a townhouse and it came up she had done a bolt.

I had to have some very serious conversation with the ex's agent, threaten legal action as well and they eventually withdrew it.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Keep your friends and enemies close, but keep your tenants closer.....and always take a substantial deposit.
    Most people will stop paying regular rent for long enough that their deposit is all used up so you kind of know when they are about to run.

Get in early with the back rent demand, and you may have enough left to pay for the cleaning after you've changed the locks.

You know, I have always been an A1 tenant, even painted one place fully before moving out, at my cost.

Every agent has said I leave the place better than when i moved in.

Why? because I have pride in myself.

I can't understand people that rip off others, be them tenants, agents or landlords.

The place I left in T'ville, after 7 years, I left spotless despite knowing i would loose my bond because I was breaking my lease.
    I did it in pain as I had pinched nerves in my sciatic and shoulder, as reported here on :in the midnight hour"

The inspection girl called me and asked me to replace a light globe and try to remove some marks in the linen cupboard, I explained I was in Mackay and couldn't come back that far for such a little thing.

She was very good and said it is very presentable and ready to rent again, thanks for doing such a good job.

OK, my mate in the unit in front tells me 2 woman cleaners come and spend 1/2 hr, I said "What? there was nothing to do!"

1 month later the agent calls me and asks what I want to do about the $1700 outstanding?

I was .. what are you talking about you got the bond $1200 and it was re rented in 3 weeks.

She rattled off all these fees, including cleaning $750... WTF?

I just said.. Shove it...

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Had a simlilar experience, never was actually able to get cleaning work that paid $150 an hour, or a job for half a days gardening that paid $850....

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Arliss Michaels's Avatar

House Rental - and the art of 'doing a runner'

Happens everywhere I imagine, the old man has a few rentals and some of the grief he has gone through with shytehouse tentants is enough for me to shy away from been a landlord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Minder's Avatar
    1 month later the agent calls me and asks what I want to do about the $1700 outstanding?

I was .. what are you talking about you got the bond $1200 and it was re rented in 3 weeks.

I just said.. Shove it...
    Not just bad tenants when you rent a place out....

I am now certain that my first property manager was a liar and a thief - therefore I even doubt that a set of tenants actually did a runner back then - more likely she gave me a BS story and pocketed the cash ...

Live and learn

Enjoy..
    Life is the unexpected ...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar

hence why Ao was making 30cad/hr at her 1st cleaning job here
    she worked for a management company
    but they just charged the customer 100 fee and was paying that all out to her, basically

Quote Originally Posted by Minder View Post
    Not just bad tenants when you rent a place out....

I am now certain that my first property manager was a liar and a thief - therefore I even doubt that a set of tenants actually did a runner back then - more likely she gave me a BS story and pocketed the cash ...

Live and learn

Enjoy..
    Yes there are some shockers out there.

The agent i was renting thru is a big well known one but during my time, 7yrs, they had 16 different property managers and they took 2 years to do the first property inspection. It is meant to be done every 3 months.
    Eventually in the last 6 months the owner change agents.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Only ever had the one rental property but the same guy,a doctor, lived there for 10 years,paid his rent in advance and never a problem.

He lived in town and worked at a research centre in the west of Sydney and stayed there 5 days/week and went home for the weekends and holidays.

very lucky.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar
    Me too only ever one rental and I let that as holiday let and was better on return than long term rent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast