Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Electricity and water supply options

Electricity and water supply options

Electricity is cheap to buy in Thailand. Solar is not really an option and very expensive compared with grid supply. eg: 250k Bt upwards for basic system.

Rural areas may require 4 or more houses before the PEA will install poles and supply to outlying settlements or farms. DIY install of poles and/or funding the install can be an option if only a few km's involved. Like most things, what appears prohibitive to Thai's, may in fact be inexpensive to us.

Generator and battery power is a good option. Hi-output petrol gensets are inexpensive @ ~ 18,000 Bt and may be used for a/c, TV etc during peak times whilst charging batteries to supply lighting and fans at night.

City water is not consistent in quality or supply across Thailand, whether city or rural, one should have tank storage and pressure pump and/or gravity tank. Rainwater collection and storage in concrete urns is inexpensive and ideal drinking water. Anything else should be filtered and/or UV treated.

Bore water is generally excellent and a home treatment plant relatively inexpensive.

This thread is for further discussion of various options and actual installations, costs etc.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Chiang Mai has excellent water supply and fairly reliable electricity. No black-outs for over 6 months!

We are however, making provision for back-up genset supply by installing a simple 3-way knife switch>

A raised concrete pad will accommodate 2 x 1800L water tanks + pressure pump >

We've made no provision for rainwater collection at this stage.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Zablive's Avatar
    Jingluck will steal all the town water for her private army ...
    Why not collect rainwater when it rains and switch to town water when it's dry?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Cippy's Avatar
    What timing Rob! I was just talking about running power to the farm. There are lines running past the farm, but it is supposed to cost 500,000 to install a transformer, which seem a bit high for a public service. If there was some electricity and water on the farm I think the family would move permanently out of the baan, about 1.5 km away.

I was encouraged when a home pro popped up, I try not to feed patronize corporations if I don't have to but I figured there prices would be lower, they are not. I went in for a look and it was deserted, 90% of the people there were working, about one employee per aisle. Makes it hard to browse, never get any peace. 555

So, it's to the local "Mom and Pop" stores, which is advantageous because a big purchase always come with free delivery.
    Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. M.T.

Quote Originally Posted by Zablive View Post
    Jingluck will steal all the town water for her private army ...
    Why not collect rainwater when it rains and switch to town water when it's dry?
    Collecting rainwater is a PITA in suburbia as one must filter leaf and dust [incl industrial fall-out] before directing to storage tanks. In the baan, no probs ... Por simply waits a few hours then directs his makeshift corrugated iron gutter to the nearest urn ... scattered down the side. Isaan town/baan water is not reliable nor safe to drink compared with CM.
    Cheers, Rob.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star Dazza's Avatar
    I have 3 phase, don't really plan for a back up Gen at this stage as power is fairly reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post
    What timing Rob! I was just talking about running power to the farm. There are lines running past the farm, but it is supposed to cost 500,000 to install a transformer, which seem a bit high for a public service. If there was some electricity and water on the farm I think the family would move permanently out of the baan, about 1.5 km away.

I was encouraged when a home pro popped up, I try not to feed patronize corporations if I don't have to but I figured there prices would be lower, they are not. I went in for a look and it was deserted, 90% of the people there were working, about one employee per aisle. Makes it hard to browse, never get any peace. 555

So, it's to the local "Mom and Pop" stores, which is advantageous because a big purchase always come with free delivery.
    Pinot's thread had been de-railed enuff already ... 555

500k sounds a bit steep for 1.5km but I assume that includes poles and cable, not just the transformer? A cost-sharing arrangement is ideal and/or charge neighbours to connect to SWEETIES supply, later.

HomePro specials are great but it's not a general 'building supplies' store. I buy cement, pvc pipe etc far cheaper at Mom & Pop stores locally.
    Cheers, Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Cippy View Post

Check out teak door forum
    Some excellent building threads and a number of discussions on the cost of connecting electricity.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nubbins's Avatar
    How are you going with your moving in target date Rob? You still had a fair way to go when I saw it.

The backup tanks and genset sound like a great insurance policy. Even though, as you say, water and electricity in Chiang Mai are relatively reliable.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    I'm still using some instant hot water with my shower.

Turned it off today and quickly back on again as it was uncomfortable cold....strange for this time of the year,
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Nubbins View Post
    How are you going with your moving in target date Rob? You still had a fair way to go when I saw it.

The backup tanks and genset sound like a great insurance policy. Even though, as you say, water and electricity in Chiang Mai are relatively reliable.
    ~4 weeks I think Mike. Floors are now tiled upstairs so I can start on kitchen install tomoz. Balcony looks so good with tiles down I think fishing may be banned ... 555
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nubbins's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    ~4 weeks I think Mike. Floors are now tiled upstairs so I can start on kitchen install tomoz. Balcony looks so good with tiles down I think fishing may be banned ... 555
    Oh that puts you into April. You said you wanted to avoid that - inauspicious for some reason.

How about May? Is that an auspicious month? You would just need to take your time with the finishing touches.

Quote Originally Posted by Nubbins View Post
    Oh that puts you into April. You said you wanted to avoid that - inauspicious for some reason.

How about May? Is that an auspicious month? You would just need to take your time with the finishing touches.
    Dunno Mike ... getting a bit tired of the Buddha BS. Seems there's always a way around non-auspicious dates ... so when habitable, I'm moving in!!! 555
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    ^ not so easy when there's a TG involved.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Maybe if it's the Buddhist monks retreat time you might not be able to rustle up the requisite 9 to bless the new house and see off the pee lawks.

Jo can always join you later after that ...
    Last edited by Zablive; 8th March 2014 at 22:53.