Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Home ownership in Thailand

Home ownership in Thailand

Can you own a house nowadays?
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Platinum
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Can you own a house nowadays?
    No problem owning a house, but you can't own the land the house is on.

Quote Originally Posted by anmeno View Post
    Is that separated out then? Someone else owns the land? Do they charge you a rent or lease for putting a house on it?

Hmm maybe a thread re land leasing and home ownership?
    Quite a relevant topic for expats considering the move
    Just maybe, new users would not look on a photo thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
    Hmm maybe a thread re land leasing and home ownership?
    Quite a relevant topic for expats considering the move
    Just maybe, new users would not look on a photo thread...
    Good idea.... anyone going through this process? Maybe they could start the thread... 55

I'm only asking through curiosity.... though if someone answers, I'll get a mod to clone the answer into a new thread too...

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Distantpeak View Post
    Is that separated out then? Someone else owns the land? Do they charge you a rent or lease for putting a house on it?
    buy the land for your missus and lease the house yourself.....or just have the whole lot in your missus name.

some farangs do that with a solicitor or someone known to them.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Tingtong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by anmeno View Post
    Might be a Idea to put wheels on the House in case the sh!t hits the fan and you've got move the house of their land 55555

There's a business idea, a trailer/Caravan Park for Divorced Expats to park their houses 5555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I know some people prefer the lease option but in a country that limits your rights.......I just don't think you should be buying a house you can't afford to give up
    My view.......don't jump into buying a house just because it's cheap or being pressured
    Buy one when your are sure of the relationship or even been in the relationship long enough that yo can look at it as part of her payoff in case of divorce

Does anyone know of an instance where a couple have done this, got divorced and everything was sold and split? I've never heard of one and can't imagine it going smoothly at all

Buy the house and either be secure or just be willing to walk away from a certain amount you bought it for.....is my opinion

When we do build a house it will be 12-14 years in(definitely doesn't need to be that long! 555) the 4-8million it possibly costs will be her security and a sum I'd be content walking away from after being together for so long
    Minder likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Chob's Avatar
    I never really thought about the 'third' part and how it all comes together , but the general legal arrangement , if couples want that for their house and "her" land , is called 'usufruct ' TT

"Usufruct is a limited real right (or in rem right) found in civil-law and mixed jurisdictions that unites the two property interests of usus and fructus:
    Usus (user) is the right to use or enjoy a thing possessed, directly and without altering it.
    Fructus (fruit, in a figurative sense) is the right to derive profit from a thing possessed: for instance, by selling crops, leasing immovables or annexed movables, taxing for entry, and so on.
    A usufruct is either granted in severalty or held in common ownership, as long as the property is not damaged or destroyed. The third civilian property interest is abusus (literally abuse), the right to alienate the thing possessed, either by consuming or destroying it (e.g. for profit), or by transferring it to someone else (e.g. sale, exchange, gift). Someone enjoying all three rights has full ownership."

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,From Wiki

So the usual arrangement is land that is in the tgs name ( either bought or previously owned/inherited ) is built on with the farangs money , and the usufruct agreement guarantees the farangs tenure for the rest of his life
    But youve already figured out Ting Tong , that , yes , when the sh!t hits the fan , that she can make life in "His" house virtually impossible for the farang to bear living there
    Dream up the ways ,,,,
    While Legally hes secure , practically , and with the whole of Her family backing her , hell , even Her whole villiage , in practical terms he isnt

Quote Originally Posted by Chob View Post
    I never really thought about the 'third' part and how it all comes together , but the general legal arrangement , if couples want that for their house and "her" land , is called 'usufruct ' TT

"Usufruct is a limited real right (or in rem right) found in civil-law and mixed jurisdictions that unites the two property interests of usus and fructus:
    Usus (user) is the right to use or enjoy a thing possessed, directly and without altering it.
    Fructus (fruit, in a figurative sense) is the right to derive profit from a thing possessed: for instance, by selling crops, leasing immovables or annexed movables, taxing for entry, and so on.
    A usufruct is either granted in severalty or held in common ownership, as long as the property is not damaged or destroyed. The third civilian property interest is abusus (literally abuse), the right to alienate the thing possessed, either by consuming or destroying it (e.g. for profit), or by transferring it to someone else (e.g. sale, exchange, gift). Someone enjoying all three rights has full ownership."

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,From Wiki

So the usual arrangement is land that is in the tgs name ( either bought or previously owned/inherited ) is built on with the farangs money , and the usufruct agreement guarantees the farangs tenure for the rest of his life
    But youve already figured out Ting Tong , that , yes , when the sh!t hits the fan , that she can make life in "His" house virtually impossible for the farang to bear living there
    Dream up the ways ,,,,
    While Legally hes secure , practically , and with the whole of Her family backing her , hell , even Her whole villiage , in practical terms he isnt
    And that is my whole point.....why bother with the hassle

My wife's wicked Aunt got divorced......she got the 4mil baht house in the village and 50% of the sale of the condo in HH
    I think he gave her too much since it was her who broke it off but i think he looked at both of those as walking away money

Yeh ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Why is divorce so expensive?

Because its worth it ! 555

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    And that is my whole point.....why bother with the hassle
    I agree that you should assume that you will have to walk away from a house built, or it is part of a settlement, however a long term lease over the house and land can benefit you and your partner. Banks (theoretically) won't lend against the property, and (possibly?) stops ownership being transferred. Thus, any time your partner gets pressure for money, it makes the "no" response a lot easier as the house cannot be hocked.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Years ago I read on a forum that no longer exists on Korat, a really great story.

This BM went to buy a house for his GF, looking outside Korat.
    He was shown a really nice new Western style home but it was a bit more than he wanted to spend/loose.

It turned out the owner was a woman now living in Bkk and she had twice found Farang's to buy and build her homes, then dumping them.

This guy made an offer on the house and it was refused, reply was it insulted her that he would not pay her price.

Apparently the estate agent didn't like her at all, stuck up, living Hi Soi life in BKK and looking down on everyone when she came home.

Long and short off it, he contacted the American that had paid for the house, he had given up and wrote it off but was p1ssed off.
    It was lucky he had paid the bills direct to the builder and not thru her as she had wanted.

The BM helped the Yank get an order for access to the property to retrive his property. He had all the reciepts to show what he owned.
    The BM bought a block behind the house and the builder went in and stripped the home of all fittings, Air Con, Kitchen, windows roof, wall frames etc and used them at a discounted price to build a new home on the block behind, the BM paid a discounted price to the Yank for the gear.

The b1tch had a skeleton of a home left that was unsaleable. Apparently she came back and screamed abuse at the agent an it got physical.

The only thing that worked was the Yank had all the doc's to show he owned all the products.
    supersub and pooyai like this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Star KRIS-ONE's Avatar
    And he lived in the block right behind the woman he helped screw over with the guy she screwed over!? He have a death wish!?

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    Kriss I don't know the end result, I would think she didn't know that was where the things went, she was in BKK when it all happened.

Maybe someone might have told her but it seemed she wasn't very well liked.
    Also it wasn't the BM that got the order it was the Yank.

I take your point and i would guess the builder probably took the biggest risk.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน meese's Avatar
    Dp are you sure you not a troll 555555...think everyone has taken the bait 55555...rent rent rent 5555
    Quarky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I agree that you should assume that you will have to walk away from a house built, or it is part of a settlement, however a long term lease over the house and land can benefit you and your partner. Banks (theoretically) won't lend against the property, and (possibly?) stops ownership being transferred. Thus, any time your partner gets pressure for money, it makes the "no" response a lot easier as the house cannot be hocked.
    Good point and smart thinking, as usual, by you.....but again being in the relationship for so long i know it is more possible that I'd be the next male runway model 555

She would be paying a good chunk of the house.....at least 25% and her actions and refusals of loans for 10 years makes me confident that would not happen
    That is my whole point......don't rush into things, don't try and be the white knight and you don't have to worry about stuff like that

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    I just lost a long post on this because my PC rebooted , with all the justifications in it for my thinking but -
    Its gonna sound harsh being much briefer , but in short , you CAN give a "no" response - simply because you dont want to invest your money in something
    And because its up to you
    From now over 7 years of living here Ive watched the Thais , and its only those with money who outrightly say , "Ummm , No!"
    Sure they drop 5k on a banquet for everyone and make big face ( and Ive done the same without any of the accolades and promises of obligations , probably just as you have ) ,but they say "no" and walk away
    The difference is that while we are supposed to cringe to say "no" , thinking that its somehow un-Thai , the big boys here really only say "yes" if security is offered up
    A loan of 100k on a block worth 1 million for example

They say ''no" all the time
    Its only family that really pressures each other into saying ''yes'
    But you show authority by saying "no" yourself

Just say "no" because you want to
    They already "Know" you have big money so its your perogative
    Occasionally tell your woman "No , and its up to me"
    Really
    You may get some silence , but in the long term its cementing your place here

( And Ive heard of many banks- or worse mafia money lenders - remortgaging places without the farangs ok over here ,,, theres great money to be made and the Falang, with the gambler tg , for example , has little recourse, usually any way )

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Stillearly's Avatar

"Fleecing foreigners a national sport" ...555

Some evil people about... don't get them pregnant...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast