Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Building a House in Thailand

เมืองเชียงราย Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Rivo's Avatar

Building a House in Thailand

Weve been thinking of building a house in Chiang Rai, the boss has the land, now she wants a house to go on it 555

She has been saving like mad since she has been in Australia and I think now might be the time to get the ball rolling when we are next in Thailand.

Were do I start ?.................I have never built in Oz and I am not in the building industry, I know in Oz you would go to some display homes and pick a build then alter things if required. Do they have display homes in Thailand, ive never noticed, I see new homes for sale in estates around Chiang Mai. Weve got about 1 million baht saved, will that get a house in todays market ?............Otherwise we might start and continue when funds are available.

I know quite a few members here have built, where did you start ?
    A Wise Man Once Said "Nothing"

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน MarcTwoSix's Avatar
    I think one question will make a difference...

Do you intend this to be your house to live in or her and her family's house?
    Ao bought land in Cha Am last year but it is very local, near her relatives and not a place I will live in
    So, besides the deal we struck of 50/50.......I am letting them take care of it.
    The only thing is she says they can build it for 500k but I suggested upping it to 1mil or so to make it at least comfortable for us to spend a night here and there
    But believe it or not.....they really do know her to suss things out

If you are planning to live there.....certainly KR is your man to ask

^ Probably just a holiday house for me Paul, hoping for some extended stays in the future, accomodation is so cheap in Thailand I would just rent close to the action, where ever that may be 555

Quote Originally Posted by MarcTwoSix View Post
    If you are planning to live there.....certainly KR is your man to ask

Were just thinking of a place half the size of Rob's, just his top floor and our land would be ideal 555, and if it looked anything like Robs we would be happy.

Gavan, work on ~10,000 bt per sq/m for house complete incl very basic wet area tiling, porcelainware, taps etc extra. There are Thai publications with basic plans but just as easy to design yourself. Stick to simple square or L-shape with 2m or 4m spans between load bearing columns to save on engineered beams.

As you know it took us one house build to learn the ropes and we now have total confidence the next project will run smooth as silk. Towards the end we found the reliable trades and now have a team who are so sought after one has to book them months in advance. They have 3 houses on the go around us now.

You'll have to rely on local/family recommendations to locate a CR crew like ours but .... absolutely insist on inspecting at least 3 previous builds and seek verbal testimonials.
    PeteGill and Rivo like this.
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Were just thinking of a place half the size of Rob's, just his top floor and our land would be ideal 555, and if it looked anything like Robs we would be happy.
    I'll sell you the plans
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    I'll sell you the plans
    Half price, he only wants half the house 55555
    Quarky and Rivo like this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    i got plans off the net and trusted the GF's brother to do a good job of building it, which he did.

^ last part is the tricky part especially out in the sticks.

i'd think you should be able to get a decent little house for 1 mil baht.....500k as mentioned would be a bit of a thai style shell,IMO.

again the hard part is.....who you would trust to do it.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Quote Originally Posted by kaptainrob View Post
    You'll have to rely on local/family recommendations to locate a CR crew like ours but .... absolutely insist on inspecting at least 3 previous builds and seek verbal testimonials.

I will have to do a bit of research next month, family are not involved and live 2 hours away, I want a builder that can show us a previous build. I have been reading "Tony in Thailand" and watching his build from start to finish and that looks good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Moo Uaon View Post
    i got plans off the net and trusted the GF's brother to do a good job of building it, which he did.

Can you remeber the site Moo ?............................In English if possible, most of the ones I find are in Thai....................My interpreter doesnt explain everything to me 555

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน jontymate's Avatar
    Many others can contribute better than I for LOS. Personally for me having built several in AUS, it's one of the difficult and stressful times in life. More so for me because I'm an absolute anal prick when it comes to these types of projects. I've had Builders say to me you are not building a nuclear power station. The answer is always there is no room for movement on a specification that you quoted upon and we signed a contract.

The frustrations for me would be insurmountable in los. That said, Dao has built a block of units in KK that she rents out. She purposely and I willingly had very little involvement. My only stipulation was that she was on the ground to manage the build. With professional friends taking a cursory look at the plans and specs.

This comes from Dao. If your boss (cute giggle) is strong and has family that is strong to make sure it is perfect and knows how to do it. It will be Ok. Essentially means make sure you get what you want and pay for Thai style. Not jonty anal style. 5555

I look forward to the thread progressing and coming to you for advice when all done.
    Rivo likes this.
    "Man cannot discover New Oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore" 

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    There is loads of building advice and some plans on the other TD..... Teak Door.. Worth a look if you have not already done so.
    Moo Uaon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    There is loads of building advice and some plans on the other TD..... Teak Door.. Worth a look if you have not already done so.

Never been on that site Pete, ill have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivo View Post
    Can you remeber the site Moo ?............................In English if possible, most of the ones I find are in Thai....................My interpreter doesnt explain everything to me 555
    it was just a basic 2 bedroom floor plan that we used with rendered block walls.told him to put a covered car port at the front....he did all the rest.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=t...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

My original main floor sketch without balconies, was close to 100m2.

Research Teak Door and Thai Visa and seek recommendations from others in CR, then vet the shortlist thoroughly.
    Rivo likes this.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    I have been following a build on another forum, his brother in law is a cabinet maker and oversaw the build, he paid labor rates and bought all the materials. Built in Korat

Photo's I have seen show the finishes were top shelf, full western kitchen, SS hand rails and fittings, Bathroom tiles to all walls and to the ceiling etc.

He started out with 1mill budget but found things hadn't been thought off, and it went to 1.27mill and that doesn't include Air Cond. or landscaping. Does include full masonry rendered fence and gates.

Final Costs bht 1, 276,000, few more little extras, like electric and water connection, and now to furnish it. biggest problem was out of plan items, which we had to pay additional items and aditional labour costs. But overall although ove r budget, I quite like it and look forward to living there, in 5 years lol. Will post additional photos as we go along

Rebar 21000
    Cement 25000 including construction and rendering
    Sand 23000 including construction and rendering
    Concrete Glue 6000 not sure what this is
    Stone 20000
    Blocks 11000
    Wire Mesh 4000 concrete reinforcement
    Steel for Roof 89000 seems the most expensive part need to check that
    Ready Mix 84000
    Labour 570000 agreed on 550000 but a further 20,000 for out of plan items ( watch OUT FOR THIS )
    Family 40000 to oversee construction, gasoline to purchase items
    Food 5000 beer etc for workers
    Misc 36000 lots of little things that add up lol
    Plastic pipes 5000 including conduit for electrics
    Roof Tiles 30000
    Floor Tiles 27000
    Door Frames 3600
    Doors 15000
    Toilet 20000 including sinks, taps, cisterns toilets x 2 bathrooms
    Scaffold 5000 wood scaffold
    Soffits 3000
    Delivery 2500
    Roof 1500 mosquito mesh for roof vents
    Toilet Tiles 31700 floor and wall tiles x 2 bathrooms
    Paint 4140 undercoat
    Paint 12500
    Silicon 3000
    Wood 12000 for roof
    Tile Adhesiv 1720
    Consent 3500 building regs consent
    Guttering 3600
    Grout 2700
    Roof 8000 insulation
    Door Locks 3000
    Trip Box 2500
    Electrics 26000 includes, wire, sockets, switches, outside lights etc
    conduit 6000 electric
    Labour electric 5000
    ceilings 7.500
    Windows 77,000
    Railings 30,000
    Total 1.276,000

Thai house 2.jpgThai house 1.jpg

Last edited by justcruzing1; 10th July 2015 at 17:45.
    Rivo, jontymate and Nomad like this.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

^ sounds about right JC. Note column spacing 4m and 2m for simplicity.
    Cheers, Rob.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน justcruzing1's Avatar
    ^^ Yes Rob, I thought his breakdown of individual costs could be a good guide to anyone going this way as to not be ripped off.

I think Gav is looking at a slab on ground construction and smaller.

The SQ M rate goes up when it is smaller, as you know, because the wet and kitchen areas still cost the same but spread over less area.
    "Of course you love me darling, I handsome man 55555"

here's what we started with and made a few modifications....but that's the basic floor plan all on one level...

Rivo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by justcruzing1 View Post
    ^^ Yes Rob, I thought his breakdown of individual costs could be a good guide to anyone going this way as to not be ripped off.

I think Gav is looking at a slab on ground construction and smaller.

The SQ M rate goes up when it is smaller, as you know, because the wet and kitchen areas still cost the same but spread over less area.
    The 10k rate did not include kitchen, built-ins or porcelain/vanities etc. Mid range quotes run from 10 to 15k, the latter being all inclusive with driveway fence/gate and porcelain... maybe a small kitchen/laundry bench in concrete but no built-ins.
    Cheers, Rob.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast