The best and friendliest guesthouse in Patong.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree453Likes

Thread: retdent, pasang house build

retdent, pasang house build

I have been thinking about a thread on our house build but could not make up my mind. Something happened on Sunday that convinced me that I just had to do it. Strangely I found it funny, maybe I am sick; This has been known to happen in Au. with far greater consequences, fortunately none here, except my garden will need to wait until after the next rice harvest.

Some pics will show it better than I can describe. I will then start the detail of the build and its progress over the next six months or so. Be patient with the pics, like 1080 I am still trying to work it out and getting the sizes right. Ian seems to have good photos, I am going to try for that, if OK.

Here goes.

Photos too big?
    In order, spot the culprit
    CFS to the rescue
    Attached Images Attached Images
    weitling likes this.

and
    under control
    what is left
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is there a better way to do the photos?

How much detail are you guys interested in for the build??

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Try uploading photos to photobucket and then just copy the link and paste into your thread.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Cool another house build. I always find these threads very interesting.. Not that I have any plans mind you 555
    Thanks for the thread.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PeteGill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retdent View Post
    How much detail are you guys interested in for the build??
    As much as you are comfortable with. Some guys include a budget, but that would really be up to you.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน obes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteGill View Post
    As much as you are comfortable with. Some guys include a budget, but that would really be up to you.
    Sorry redent - should have said Hi first - so Hi and welcome THB

I'm with Pete - only as much as you are comfortable with and the better the phot presentation, the more enjoyable the read.

Hi, Obes. Good to meet you.

Well I will get my thoughts together and look up some older pics. Photobucket I will try as well as previewing. I guess I can play that way until I work it out.
    obes likes this.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    obes likes this.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

Noi's block, lamyai orchard
    PeteGill, Rivo, 1080 and 4 others like this.

Thanks Moo, and now to do the Quotes a-la petegill and I should be set, if I remenmber everything, as DP says once done a few times it should be easy. Bear with me I will play around again

Uber Star Soi wanderer Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Moo Uaon's Avatar
    yes,Pasang is in the middle of orchard country.....typical pic of there. ridden through there many times,usually headed for Li and lake Doi Tao.
    FACE YOUR FEARS LIVE YOUR DREAMS

QUOTE=retdent;283626] and now to do the Quotes a-la petegill and I should be set
    Thanks DP and Michael Arliss, (info in old threads), doing cryptic crosswords helped also,55.

Moo, I rode my MTB to Li one day, stuffed, I caught the white songteow back

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน 1080's Avatar
    You are a lucky man retdent, a fine lady with a lamyai orchard, couldn't ask for much more 555

I am still working on picture posting, all the best with your build fella.

The artist formally known as Wabbits
    I like building threads to Rivo has a fine one going at the mo and welcome. Looking forward to seeing the progress. Many here will be able to give advise as quite a few have built homes now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1080 View Post
    You are a lucky man retdent, a fine lady with a lamyai orchard, couldn't ask for much more 555

I am still working on picture posting, all the best with your build fella.
    ... family owned winery or brewery perhaps? 555
    Cheers, Rob.
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting: holy s.h.i.t what a ride!

Hi Wabbits, pleased to hear from you.

Plenty of Lamyai in this family. Strangely I am the only one that enjoys them. Prefer wines from other countries, the beer here is OK though
    wabbits likes this.

Now to get this thread started.

I had retired from work and spent 9 months in Thailand over a 2 year period, mainly in Phuket, mainly to see how I liked it here and managed etc.. I enjoyed being in Thailand and all was good, so I made the decision to retire here and make the best of my remaining decades on the planet. Towards the end of my stay in Phuket I met up with my partner, Noi. She was about to leave work and head home, so I made arrangements to head north upon my return the following year.

Home base was Chiangmai for a while and even though neither I or Noi had a permanent relationship in mind, it became obvious to us that it was to be. We had discussions about our own place as I was just living in a room in CM. The pros and cons of rental vs ownership was debated at length but eventually it was decided ownership for us was better. We could improve as we pleased, security of tenure etc..

For me and much to the delight of Noi, I preferred the North to Phuket; it had more of a country feel and having lived most of my adult life in a small town, it just suited. There were places in Phuket that I could get that country feel, but all round this felt better. I can visit where-ever, whenever I want. This is a home base. We contacted estate agents and checked out some housing developments but none of them appealed . Well after making a decision to build, I visited a BM in CM, I liked that area and could live there but found it too late. Soon it became apparent that housing estates were off the list and that we would find somewhereto build.

Noi has family in the Pasang district of Lamphun, so we started looking there; places with views on sides of hills etc. Many of the appealing places had draw backs, eg. pig farms nearby, roads used as tips, lack of security, lack of services,water,power. Noi's family have been in a small area of Pasang for nearly 200 years and her extended family, uncles etc bordered a Lamyai orchard. After a while we decided to build in the orchard. I figured that since the nearest immediate family was about 1-2 km. away, if they were visiting, they were making an effort. (They are welcome whenever they want to visit). We don't live in a perfect world and there are drawbacks with the block, no views and predominantly facing south (heat). However, we have family as security, especially for when we will have extended travel in the future. The block is well fenced with the standard for the area, brick fence; power, municipal water and a bore with high quality water (I am told).
    Nomad and Hatari like this.

A decision was made to build in the orchard. Since eating Lamyai is never going to be a problem, the whole extended and immediate family grow them (and I am the only one eating them now), Noi chose to get rid of the two dozen trees, which were on about 2000 sq. m., a decision she now regrets a bit, since there is no shaded areas near where the house will be for orchids.

I was surprised by her business attitude, she managed to sell the trees to a guy who cut them down and took the wood to on-sell for making charcoal. He paid her 4k baht. She then had another crew come and dig up the roots, clean up a bit and take the rubbish away which cost her about 6k baht; so for 2k baht we had the block cleared. The perimeter of the back section still has trees; coconuts, custard apple, some that are used as a vegetable (leaves), bananas, plum mango. We have also planted some lemon, lime, lychee, guava, avacado.

some pictures to keep you interested.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast