Phuket Taxi and Transfers

Thread: Building Houses in LOS

The artist formally known as Wabbits Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน wabbits's Avatar

Building Houses in LOS

Thought i would start a musing thread regards building homes in LOS. It is a love of mine to work with wood and i intend to be active later on.

Now last night i was sitting down with Dave who has built extensively in Isaan and has a sound knowledge of process etc.
    We were talking and i was telling him about plans, we got talking about kitchens and i was saying i would put one like we had here in OZ in as i thought i could improve on what i had seen in LOS.

He looked at me and smiled and goes, good idea if you want somewhere to store pots, it would never get used. Goes on to explain he had done just that and his TG and family would go get charcoal burners and set them up outside.

His suggestion set up a western outdoor BBQ set up same same as we have here would be used all the time and next to it a concrete area for charcoal burners.

Makes sense and talk about keeping the cost down.

Foundation Member Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Gazmac's Avatar
    Well i would never have thought of that one ! But certainly makes sence when you think about it !

Quote Originally Posted by Gazmac View Post
    Well i would never have thought of that one ! But certainly makes sence when you think about it !
    It changes how you think about design when you do not need to have an internal kitchen. Can then concentrate the interior for sleeping and TV.
    Outside would be more used i think.
    Set up a more Thai version of this with a shelf for char coal burner.
    Not forgetting condo's massive flame thrower burner.

Want to try and create a home where indoors flows to outdoors

With lack of planning permission required and the abundance of local woods and general building materials LOS is a great place to have something different.

Anyone have thoughts on what they might like?

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Changone's Avatar
    Wow look at those photos....now I now why you called the site Thai dreaming...555

I don't know too much about building a house in Isaan, but I do know that building costs (Timber, steel etc) have gone through the roof lately so to speak.
    What sort of budget would you need for a setup like that Wabbs?
    And where the hell was Biggles.....?....when you needed him last Saturday....?

Toughs half blocks you get up country are like 5bt each i think and a bag of cement is 200bt a bag sand and gravel will be inexpensive.
    Labour 200bt a day at most.
    So putting up a basic structure not so much....its what you do from there that costs.
    That red wood you get is highly available in village. Mrs W's sister has said they have many have a couple if you want.
    The local miller will come in and mill the tree's for you at about 5000bt per tree. 2 should give you enough for all your wood work needs cut to sizes specified.
    If you used the local prefab wooden windows they cheap but not well made. Will be looking for aluminium substitutes this is where the money will be.
    Wiring have enough knowledge to do all that myself.
    Have seen what 300k will buy house wise and i have been impressed.
    With your own labor and a careful eye on what other do for you, you can make a very livable home no so different to the pics above for a small sum.

What i am planning is a almost one bedroom home. With a bathroom like the above pic, off out bedroom.
    The other room will merge onto the deck and kitchen will be incorporated into that.
    Makes sense to have it so and it will be all weather proof.

Sounds positive. I will run the pics past Mrs C and she can tell her Dad what he's in for when we get started together.......

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    Sounds positive. I will run the pics past Mrs C and she can tell her Dad what he's in for when we get started together.......
    55555 that the way i have been told what i can not do...nothing Thai style! Which i like but have been told look like Phee houses and Mrs W would be scared to live in one.......So Farang style it is.

ประเทศไทยเพื่อน Founding Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน PatongBeachBoy's Avatar
    I like the idea of building a house in Isaan that all the locals stop to look at, one that some young TG will take her Falang BF to and say "see, this the falang castle I talk about" 555

If you can also invent some sonic device to kill any mosquito within a 100 yards then I would love a place like that! A falang castle indeed ...555
    My only experience was in a pie making factory managing the gravy team

Ahh aproblem here in OZ old traditional methods like mozzie coils and fans.
    Can plant different plants that they dont like the smell of..will do research.
    Mozzies bother Mrs W more than me so she is quick to cover me in repellent..

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    that house looks very nice Wabbs, I like your idea of thinking, could even build something like that down here i guess. I am lucky enought to have a mate who is a draftsman who can draw something up for me. If it was not so hard to get all the permits and what not I also have all the people in the building industry who can help but it is so hard these days to be an owner-builder. If you were to build in Isaan you would want to use the Isaan people to help you build as they have a skills and come at a good price also.

^200bt a day the basics are very cost effective....more research yet.

Quote Originally Posted by G4orce View Post
    that house looks very nice Wabbs, I like your idea of thinking, could even build something like that down here i guess. I am lucky enought to have a mate who is a draftsman who can draw something up for me. If it was not so hard to get all the permits and what not I also have all the people in the building industry who can help but it is so hard these days to be an owner-builder. If you were to build in Isaan you would want to use the Isaan people to help you build as they have a skills and come at a good price also.
    Have to disagree G4, It is actually easier to be an owner builder than a registered builder in Oz...

Foundation Member Thai Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน G4orce's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatongBeachBoy View Post
    Have to disagree G4, It is actually easier to be an owner builder than a registered builder in Oz...
    My uncle recently built a house for my grandparents and they went through so much sht getting permits and getting approvals from whoever and what not that it too so much longer to build the place. He told me he would never do it again because it was like pulling teeth, that was 6 years ago now though.

Actually come to think about it he was a registered builder... I would love to be owner builder as I know a lot of people who owe me favours and I would then know they job is done well

Those permits and approvals are required by everyone who builds regardless of being registered or being an owner builder.... The fact is, a owner builder for starters is not required to spend 4 years getting a qualification and then is not required to have the same insurance required by a registered builder... Then there is the insurance required by the builder to build over $5000 and also the insurance on the actual build just in case the customer needs to sue the builder for shonky workmanship!...

I know a of few "Builders" in these parts who proudly display registered builder details on their work-sites. Thing is....they aren't theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Changone View Post
    I know a of few "Builders" in these parts who proudly display registered builder details on their work-sites. Thing is....they aren't theirs.
    I read in our monthly builders magazine that our biggest competition had just been done by the Building Commission, he received 2 fines totaling $18,000AUD
    1. Not supplying a permit for the job and misleading the customer to think there was one, 2. carrying out work without a Licensed builder...
    It all came about over a small leak in a roof the he refused to come and fix!

Just came back and looked at this thread with my idea of loads of wood....Gone in the other direction on that one.5555
    But still creating a home that flows to the outdoors.

Uber Star Soi wanderer Uber Dreamer ผู้เพ้อฝัน Nomad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wabbits View Post
    Just came back and looked at this thread with my idea of loads of wood....Gone in the other direction on that one.5555
    But still creating a home that flows to the outdoors.
    And wildlife that flows to the indoors.
    "Don't wait around for your life to happen to you. Find something that makes you happy and do it. Everything else is just background noise." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    And wildlife that flows to the indoors.
    Catch 22 really close it off and use aircon or better sort the bedroom to be mozzy proof.