10 year visa for Thailand?

Moo Uaon

Well-known member
100,000/month or 3mill in the bank as well as good health cover.
Not for your typical expat but good for those who can meet the requirements
 

Cippy

Active member
Hmm, so I might qualify in 6 years, 555

Only I make way over 100,000 a month some months and way under others. I wonder how that would play out?
 

Tingtong

Active member
100,000 a month ? thats about $3,800 Aud.... so thats all the Pensioners ruled out. So why dont they just be Honest and say we dont want you here unless your wealthy.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Tingtong;307749 said:
100,000 a month ? thats about $3,800 Aud.... so thats all the Pensioners ruled out. So why dont they just be Honest and say we dont want you here unless your wealthy.
A lot of countries at the same
Why would you recruit people who aren't wealthy?

There is always income/wealth stipulations in immigrating to a country
 

Cippy

Active member
MarcTwoSix;307755 said:
A lot of countries at the same
Why would you recruit people who aren't wealthy?

There is always income/wealth stipulations in immigrating to a country
Yeah, why do they want poor pensioners? They get them anyway.

They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.
 

Tingtong

Active member
MarcTwoSix;307755 said:
A lot of countries at the same
Why would you recruit people who aren't wealthy?

There is always income/wealth stipulations in immigrating to a country
Ok , In the interest of fairness make it so people over 50 from thailand meet the same restrictions when coming in to our country . 100.000 bht a month get your own medical ins, oh and the dont forget you wont be able to buy land here , get social security etc. Thats fair isnt it ? same same both country's . No one could claim discrimination if its equal conditions for both.
 
C

Changone

Guest
Tingtong;307765 said:
Ok , In the interest of fairness make it so people over 50 from thailand meet the same restrictions when coming in to our country . 100.000 bht a month get your own medical ins, oh and the dont forget you wont be able to buy land here , get social security etc. Thats fair isnt it ? same same both country's . No one could claim discrimination if its equal conditions for both.
Errrrmmm...don't think we have to worry too much about being invaded by old broke folks from Thailand, or anywhere else just yet...555

...Based on current planning levels, applicants for a Parent (non-contributory) visa can expect an approximate 30 year wait before visa grant consideration after being allocated a queue date.
 
C

Changone

Guest
Tingtong;307749 said:
100,000 a month ? thats about $3,800 Aud.... so thats all the Pensioners ruled out. So why dont they just be Honest and say we dont want you here unless your wealthy.
^They don't say that, but they DO think it...then all the smiling and "Thainess" covers it up....555
 

kaptainrob

Administrator
Basic hospital cover appears to cost approx us$35,000 over 10 years otherwise the criteria is less than I would have expected. 90 day reports kind of spoil the deal too.
 
C

Changone

Guest
^Yep, also not really ten years, more like Max 2x5 years, don't see much difference, just trying to hike the monetary requirement...
 

Rockitt

Active member
I expect there will be a lot of people who are out there on the old system requirements. This will come as a shock to them. Maybe they will be given some sort of 'Grandfather rights' to carry on living there on the old system. If not, there could be a rush to sell up. Bang goes my dream of retirement there I think.
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
nowhere does it say that the existing system is being replaced...ie yearly extensions for those over 50 who originally came in on a visa....sounds like another option

i really wouldn't want to commit to 10 years and 3 million baht in the bank here..and I have lived here for nearly 8 years already
 

Moo Uaon

Well-known member
Here's what the news story says...

"The cabinet on Tuesday extended to 10 years from one the long-stay visa for foreigners aged 50 or more."

I read that as the 1 year visa has been extended , or changed, to 10....2x5.
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
^ well maybe the Visa (Retirement OA) will be changed to 5/10 for those applying in the future...or there will be 2 types (one for a year at a time and one for those wanting the 5/10 option)...but I am here on a "permission to stay" (extension for another 12 months at a time) rather than a Visa...so I have no idea if this announcement will make any difference to that....and I doubt whether the people behind the announcement do either 555....it is not covered....

as usual..everything is as clear as mud in Thailand
 

Moo Uaon

Well-known member
Yeah needs clarification but the way things have been going in recent years. ...certainly would be a stampede for the door.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
kaptainrob;307785 said:
Basic hospital cover appears to cost approx us$35,000 over 10 years otherwise the criteria is less than I would have expected. 90 day reports kind of spoil the deal too.
Didn't it said need to be covered for 10kusd for the year?
That's what a basic insurance policy covers, no?

Or maybe I am reading that wrong?
 

Moo Uaon

Well-known member
Yeah it talks about the level of cover not the cost.

Other cost (10k baht) and requirements are quoted in baht too....so an in-country extension or permission to stay seems to be what they are on about.
Odds-on a backflip though!
 
Top