A little from the Thai Farm.

jontymate

Nomad;268360 said:
Did you have to say that? Hate to think how many snakes were unsettled.
Had this Joe Blake turn up a few weeks ago.

Dao......Is this dangerous s'nake or squash one s'nake?

It's python a constricting one Dao jai.

Dao... okay you kill it.. might eat the my dog so I eat it. No honey I'm not killing the snake. The dog it too big for it. Off in a huff she goes and returns with a long handle shovel.

Dao ....You look like same pu$$y man ....I kill it. It will still bite you honey and it will hurt and you will need to go to the hospital. I've had lots of beers and will not drive you.

Dao.... I'm thai farmer girl.... I can do it no probrem. With a look and a scoff of silly farang.

It strikes at her shovel as she approaches. She retreats and so does the snake.

Dao ... The dog lives inside now. I burst out laughing... why you laugh at me ( angry face)

J

johnston

jontymate;268490 said:
Had this Joe Blake turn up a few weeks ago.

Dao......Is this dangerous s'nake or squash one s'nake?

It's python a constricting one Dao jai.

Dao... okay you kill it.. might eat the my dog so I eat it. No honey I'm not killing the snake. The dog it too big for it. Off in a huff she goes and returns with a long handle shovel.

Dao ....You look like same pu$$y man ....I kill it. It will still bite you honey and it will hurt and you will need to go to the hospital. I've had lots of beers and will not drive you.

Dao.... I'm thai farmer girl.... I can do it no probrem. With a look and a scoff of silly farang.

It strikes at her shovel as she approaches. She retreats and so does the snake.

Dao ... The dog lives inside now. I burst out laughing... why you laugh at me ( angry face)
it looks scary

justcruzing1

johnston;268506 said:
it looks scary
Johnston,
Firstly welcome to the board.

Here in Aust snakes are very common and we have the top deadly ones but most times they don't want to fight. They retreat.

I hate snakes and spiders, all of which we lead the world in the deadliest......maybe I should move to another country ???? 55555

S

Seven_

I thought I give the forum some insight into rice farming and the ROI.

You often hear or read there is no money in rice farming in Thailand, so I will give a general break down of our costs and returns per Rai.

Starting off we sold our jasmine rice for 10baht a kilo, so 10,000baht a tonne.

Ploughing cost per Rai = 250baht
Fertiliser per Rai = 550baht
Planting (hand casting) per Rai= 50baht
Fertiliser per Rai =550baht
Harvesting (machine) and transport to rice mill per Rai = 600baht

Rice harvested per Rai =450kgs

Leaving a profit of 2500baht per Rai

I haven't included rice seed costs as it's kept from last years harvest.

Our cost/profits are different as we own the tractors and fertiliser is pig manure from the piggery, plus our methods are different to the other locals.

Our ROI is about 6500baht per Rai

We are moving to fully organic next season (and a less common rice variety) as we have a buyer for the rice willing to pay 30baht a kilo.

S

Seven_

Another thing that seems to taking of is hay making, that's is baling the rice straw.

Cost 14baht a bale (small 20kg ones) to get done, you can sell it straight away for 1000baht a tonne to the local biofuel place or wait and try an sell it as cow feed in April/May when you get around 30baht a bale.

A baler cost about 300,000baht to buy.

Although the Thais are way behind on hay making practices compared to Australia.

S

Seven_

jontymate;268490 said:

They start Ban nok girls early in Isan.

Hatari

Easy to say, but unsure what lucrative crops they recommend.

19 January 2016

Rice farmers, millers and exporters have agreed to government plans to cut production in the 2016-17 crop year and encourage farmers to grow other lucrative crops in the dry season.

The Commerce and Agriculture ministries will set guidelines to help farmers and advise them to grow other lucrative crops or shift to other jobs,"

Paddy prices were expected to stay unchanged this year at 7,500 to 8,000 baht a tonne,

Rice sector agrees to cut production | Bangkok Post: business

Eastern Brown 1.7 meters long, just the other day. It came a little too close to my home so I dispatched it. Photo does not do it justice.

My old mate and faithful dog Sparky put me onto it

40 mm diameter and it was moving pretty quickly. Knocked it on the head with a piece of poly pipe I keep handy for just such events.
Old Sparky might be deaf but she can still put out the snake growl.

Hatari

Cassava. Just a memory for me now.

Farmers asked to delay cassava cultivation due to oversupply of cassava in market

BANGKOK, 15 February 2016 (NNT) - The Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC) has introduced two financial aid schemes for cassava growers coping with the drought crisis.

BAAC Managing Director Luck Wajananawat said the first program will provide a loan of five billion baht to 100,000 farmers to postpone their cassava cultivation, as an oversupply of 21 million tons of cassava is expected to flood the market until April.

They are advised to harvest and sell their cassava only when the market price is higher. They will also have enough money to pay for household expenses while waiting to sell their cassava.
And same over the border, Cambodia

Cassava Prices Drop Sharply Amid Low Demand
by Kang Sothear | February 10, 2016
Cassava export prices have fallen to new lows amid decreasing demand from international markets, particularly China, traders say.

Taun Sara, a cassava trader in Battambang province, said the export price to Thailand, also an important market, had dropped to it lowest level in six years.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Cassava was never a big cash crop and very labour intensive to plant and harvest. Negligible profit for family operation at best, probably not worth the effort now, Hatari?