Angkor Wat itinerary

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Bacon;395207 said:
Will you be going for a stroll through their beer street or whatever they have on the second night?
Pub Street
Yeah for sure will hit it both nights but probably not out late

My hotel is about 1km from there
Can either walk, bike or take a tuk tuk

I am actually really stoked about this trip now
I didn't want to go to Asia but since decided to go I wanted to make sure I went to a couple new places

So Siem Reap and Koh Samet will be new for me
And I really get excited to see new places
 

Bacon

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;395212 said:
Pub Street
Yeah for sure will hit it both nights but probably not out late

My hotel is about 1km from there
Can either walk, bike or take a tuk tuk

I am actually really stoked about this trip now
I didn't want to go to Asia but since decided to go I wanted to make sure I went to a couple new places

So Siem Reap and Koh Samet will be new for me
And I really get excited to see new places
hah yeah I get excited even when it's other people going.
 

anmeno

Well-known member
MarcTwoSix;395212 said:
Pub Street
Yeah for sure will hit it both nights but probably not out late

My hotel is about 1km from there
Can either walk, bike or take a tuk tuk

I am actually really stoked about this trip now
I didn't want to go to Asia but since decided to go I wanted to make sure I went to a couple new places

So Siem Reap and Koh Samet will be new for me
And I really get excited to see new places
Be carefull the 0,5 dollar Angkor drafts will kill your budget
 

Bacon

Administrator
anmeno;395288 said:
Be carefull the 0,5 dollar Angkor drafts will kill your budget
Even worse for Aussies. It works out to 70 cents a beer. I won't be staying there for long I tell ya. No sir. :eek:
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Timing question

So the day I arrive at 10:30am
Going to chill in the pool until 2pm then head over to Temples for afternoon and sunset

Then I decided the 2nd day I will do morning and afternoon with break in middle but no sunrise
Last day I only have a few hours and that will be my sunrise day

So when not doing the sunrise, what time would be good to get there.........I'm still thinking early like 7-8am??
Attached files
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
^ The earlier the better...the tour buses just keep coming all day...if you get out there before 7am you should get a a couple of hours before the hordes arrive...they are mostly still have breakfast until 8.30-9am...
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
bacwaan;395658 said:
^ The earlier the better...the tour buses just keep coming all day...if you get out there before 7am you should get a a couple of hours before the hordes arrive...they are mostly still have breakfast until 8.30-9am...
7am on my "late day" won't be an issue

But I saw on Youtube people leaving at 4am for the sunrise..........which isn't an issue for me, but would only do that one of the days

Thanks
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
Oh..should have said that I was talking about the inner ring mostly in that comment...do those temples first (Angkor Wat/Bayonne etc) and once you start getting a build up with people move out to the outer rings...they all seem to start at Angkor/Bayonne

Yes...people do the "sunrise temples" and generally do the inner ring temples straight after...especially Angkor as it's sunrise across the moat is usually about an hour later than up on the hilltops...
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
bacwaan;395664 said:
Oh..should have said that I was talking about the inner ring mostly in that comment...do those temples first (Angkor Wat/Bayonne etc) and once you start getting a build up with people move out to the outer rings...they all seem to start at Angkor/Bayonne

Yes...people do the "sunrise temples" and generally do the inner ring temples straight after...especially Angkor as it's sunrise across the moat is usually about an hour later than up on the hilltops...
By the way..............
Siem Reap seems to have maybe the best collection of hotels I have ever seen in one city
Just tranquil looking beautiful boutique hotels

Quite impressed on my searches
Was hard to choose one!
 

anmeno

Well-known member
MarcTwoSix;395659 said:
7am on my "late day" won't be an issue

But I saw on Youtube people leaving at 4am for the sunrise..........which isn't an issue for me, but would only do that one of the days

Thanks
If you want to be able to take pictures like this you have to be at the gate 4:30







If not you will stand behind all these peoples



 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
anmeno;395673 said:
If you want to be able to take pictures like this you have to be at the gate 4:30







If not you will stand behind all these peoples
So I get there at 4:30am, wait about 2hrs?

PS..........I'm not a big pic guy, just like the experience so don't need a good camera angle
 

anmeno

Well-known member
MarcTwoSix;395674 said:
So I get there at 4:30am, wait about 2hrs?

PS..........I'm not a big pic guy, just like the experience so don't need a good camera angle
If you don't care about camera angle you don't need to be there at 4:30, but I thought it was magical to come there in the complete dark and then see Angkor slowly appear more and more.
All the timelapses I find on youtube only have the sunrise so, there was a guy beside me that was making a timelapse he was starting when it was dark and was shooting until the sun was up, I wish I could find a timelapse like he was shooting.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
anmeno;395782 said:
If you don't care about camera angle you don't need to be there at 4:30, but I thought it was magical to come there in the complete dark and then see Angkor slowly appear more and more.
All the timelapses I find on youtube only have the sunrise so, there was a guy beside me that was making a timelapse he was starting when it was dark and was shooting until the sun was up, I wish I could find a timelapse like he was shooting.
I wouldn't even know how to do that 5555

Although I don't care about pictures you brought up a really good point about the darkness and then see it appear

That was actually what seemed exciting to me when watching videos
Walking out of your hotel in the dark and driving there

I'm a very early riser so if I am home by 8-9pm(which I would be) and in bed by 10pm getting up at 3:30-4pm isn't an issue at all
 

Dupree

Well-known member
MarcTwoSix;395812 said:
I wouldn't even know how to do that 5555

Although I don't care about pictures you brought up a really good point about the darkness and then see it appear

That was actually what seemed exciting to me when watching videos
Walking out of your hotel in the dark and driving there

I'm a very early riser so if I am home by 8-9pm(which I would be) and in bed by 10pm getting up at 3:30-4pm isn't an issue at all
God. I really feel sorry for the people that will have to sit in the dark with you for 2 hours...555
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
kaptainrob;376531 said:
Paul, apart from finding a paid guide there are are touts who find you.

However, I strongly recommend end you buy or download a concise history book about Angkor Wat to read enroute. You will enjoy the actual tour far more if you have a good understanding of the construction and history.
So just like school I didnt do my homework 5555

But I ended up hiring this very well known guide
He’s a bit more expensive but going by his reviews I felt it was worth it

I’ve never seen more glowing reviews on TA about anyone or any establishment

And after talking to him for just 1minute I just felt an incredible energy about him
So now super excited!!

He’s picking me up at 4:40am
 

kaptainrob

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;396984 said:
So just like school I didnt do my homework 5555

But I ended up hiring this very well known guide
He’s a bit more expensive but going by his reviews I felt it was worth it

I’ve never seen more glowing reviews on TA about anyone or any establishment

And after talking to him for just 1minute I just felt an incredible energy about him
So now super excited!!

He’s picking me up at 4:40am
555 ... sounds like you've found the perfect tour guide. I hope you'll come away enthralled by the scope of Khmer construction and the extensive engineering skills involved. Some do whilst others aren't interested ... c'est la vie.

4.40am ... holy kee! 555
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
kaptainrob;396992 said:
555 ... sounds like you've found the perfect tour guide. I hope you'll come away enthralled by the scope of Khmer construction and the extensive engineering skills involved. Some do whilst others aren't interested ... c'est la vie.

4.40am ... holy kee! 555
Well in the reviews the detail that this guide goes into described by others is amazing
They say he goes back on his days off to find new things

I'm really going to throw myself into it tomorrow
 
V

VanD

Guest
MarcTwoSix;396997 said:
Well in the reviews the detail that this guide goes into described by others is amazing
They say he goes back on his days off to find new things

I'm really going to throw myself into it tomorrow
Great - I'm jealous! The day I spent at Angkor Wat (as well as Bayon and a couple of others - we split the complex up and did it over two days) was one of the best experiences I've had in SE Asia (and that's saying a whole heap). There's nothing like that first time you walk through the gates and see the main temple in the distance - it's absolutely awesome.

Having a good guide will be a huge plus. You're going to have a blast.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
VanD;397005 said:
Great - I'm jealous! The day I spent at Angkor Wat (as well as Bayon and a couple of others - we split the complex up and did it over two days) was one of the best experiences I've had in SE Asia (and that's saying a whole heap). There's nothing like that first time you walk through the gates and see the main temple in the distance - it's absolutely awesome.

Having a good guide will be a huge plus. You're going to have a blast.
Yes I am really excited

These are his reviews, just glowing

And I honestly could just tell when speaking to him he is going to be amazing and well worth the extra money
His vibe was just so reassuring and calm

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...ia_Day_Tour-Siem_Reap_Siem_Reap_Province.html
 
Top