Angkor Wat itinerary

MarcTwoSix

Well the 1st leg of the day is done

We did Angkor Wat from the East Gate and were the only ones there
We then went inside and I can say I was literally the only one walking around the place for a good 30mins alone
That was incredible

Then I was the 1st in line to get up to the top

I listened to what other guides were saying and they were probably food guides but they didn't go into detail like Mr Hann

Now if you compared what I paid him, 120usd vs what others are paying(my hotel was about 50-60usd but think I would have been with other people you might not think it's worth the extra money

But for me, just looking at as value for money
It's well worth paying him about 15usd/he

PS....I'm pretty sure Ao would have taken a swing at him 555
He talked a lot about the Thai-Cambodia history and definitely in favor of Cambodia!!

I think he tailored his talk to the fact my wife is Thai

V

VanD

MarcTwoSix;397047 said:

We then went inside and I can say I was literally the only one walking around the place for a good 30mins alone
That was incredible

I listened to what other guides were saying and they were probably food guides but they didn't go into detail like Mr Hann

Now if you compared what I paid him, 120usd vs what others are paying(my hotel was about 50-60usd but think I would have been with other people you might not think it's worth the extra money

Sounds like a great start!

I regret not paying more for our guide - we basically had a glorified driver / companion - you couldn't really call her a guide. I liked her, but I definitely missed out on a few details. Still a phenomenal experience, but if I could do it again, that's one thing I'd change. A few extra bucks is well worth it when you're talking about the experience of a lifetime. Definitely value for money - well said.

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;397047 said:

That was incredible

He talked a lot about the Thai-Cambodia history and definitely in favor of Cambodia!!

So what was the main thing you learnt about the place that you didn't know before? Was it mostly about how the irrigation system enabled a large city to live in relative luxury?

Bacon

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;397047 said:

That was incredible

If I got paid a month's national average wage for a morning's work everyday, I'd have some pretty fecking upbeat energy to show for it as well 55. Especially if my work just involved walking around having a chat.

MarcTwoSix

Bacon;397080 said:
If I got paid a month's national average wage for a morning's work everyday, I'd have some pretty fecking upbeat energy to show for it as well 55. Especially if my work just involved walking around having a chat.
He said he books 20 out of 30 days per month

And at times he has groups so is getting paid more than 120usd/day

So he is making pretty good money!

MarcTwoSix

Quarky;397072 said:
So what was the main thing you learnt about the place that you didn't know before? Was it mostly about how the irrigation system enabled a large city to live in relative luxury?
I read this about him before
But he questions you beforehand and then tailors the tour to you

Since he knew my wife is Thai he spoke a ton of the Khmer/Thai relationship as well as the history of everything we toured

And I am pretty sure Ao would have taken a swing at him 5555

But he said if I bring her next time he will not talk about that 5555

Dupree

MarcTwoSix;397100 said:
I read this about him before
But he questions you beforehand and then tailors the tour to you

Since he knew my wife is Thai he spoke a ton of the Khmer/Thai relationship as well as the history of everything we toured

And I am pretty sure Ao would have taken a swing at him 5555

But he said if I bring her next time he will not talk about that 5555
From what I read Angkor was originally a Hindu site. Then changed to Buddhist. I'm guessing an attacking army took it over at that point? And they were Thai?

MarcTwoSix

Dupree;397127 said:
From what I read Angkor was originally a Hindu site. Then changed to Buddhist. I'm guessing an attacking army took it over at that point? And they were Thai?
My guide said they changed simply because the religion sort of changed
He said Hindu was considered violent so the King changed it
Well that's at least what I think he told me

MarcTwoSix

So I'm at Angkor Wat waiting for the sunrise

It's not over run at all today

I got here at about 5:40am and have a front row seat at the moat

I'd guess 200 people on my side

I was up in air to going today
Then I just woke up at 4:42am with no alarm and said fxuk it, let's go
There weren't any tuk tuks outside my hotel
Just started to run down the street and found one

The Tomb Raider temple was a shitshow yesterday
So after sunrise I will head right there and then back to hotel for flight to Bangkok

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;397148 said:
555...unfortunately this comment sums up perfectly what has become of the joint....555
That was the only one
Everyone else was awesome and I didn't feel it that crowded

Many of the places I went I was the only one there or very few people

V

VanD

MarcTwoSix;397150 said:
By the way
My guide does midnight tours

He pays off the police and they let him in
That's phenomenal. If I get the chance to go back I'd love to do that - what an experience.

Quarky

Administrator
What's it like compared to the pyramids at Giza? I was quite surprised how quiet that place was... I thought it would be packed... unless it was because I went a couple of weeks after 9/11... but there were hardly any other tourists there....

MarcTwoSix

Quarky;397172 said:
What's it like compared to the pyramids at Giza? I was quite surprised how quiet that place was... I thought it would be packed... unless it was because I went a couple of weeks after 9/11... but there were hardly any other tourists there....
I have no fxuking clue

But this was awesome
And I'm not really a temple guy

This far exceeded my expectations

bacwaan

MarcTwoSix;397149 said:
That was the only one
Everyone else was awesome and I didn't feel it that crowded

Many of the places I went I was the only one there or very few people
I meant Ta Phrom in particular here...

Moo Uaon

Quarky;397172 said:
both were quite bare of tourists when i went to them.
i love visiting ancient civilisations and wanted to see the pyramids for a long time. i came away just thinking that they were clever piles of rocks.
angkor wat and thom were quite impressive in their sheer size and complexity.
on the other hand the ancient capital,koh ker a very simple place yet has a pyramid.