Angkor Wat itinerary

Bacon

Administrator
That Pyramid would be right at home in Latin America. Amazing how cultures so far apart produced such similar work. But I guess a pyramid is a simple enough design that makes this more than likely. Still, there's something in the detail that makes them look so similar.

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;397189 said:
I meant Ta Phrom in particular here...
I went back today right after the sunrise at West Gate
It was about 7:40am
There were 2 cars and about 10 tuk tuks compared to 40 cars and 50 tuk tuks yesterday

There were about 20 people in Ta Phrom when I was there today
That was very manageable

Yesterday at around 1pm we were literally backed up walking through one tunnel about 100 deep!

So I guess all about what time you go

I was entirely thrilled the whole time I was doing Angkor
And you know me, I never have a complaint 5555

bacwaan

^ the earlier the better for Ta Prohm...as I said in this thread way back iirc...once the first ring of temples (Bayon, Angkor etc) get busy you need to start moving out to the further rings...Ta Prohm is in the 2nd ring...so you still need to be early-ish there too

Quarky

Administrator
Moo Uaon;397195 said:
both were quite bare of tourists when i went to them.
i love visiting ancient civilisations and wanted to see the pyramids for a long time. i came away just thinking that they were clever piles of rocks.
angkor wat and thom were quite impressive in their sheer size and complexity.
on the other hand the ancient capital,koh ker a very simple place yet has a pyramid.

The sheer size of the pyramids blew me away... plus I don't believe for a minute that the Egyptians built them.. too much evidence around that they are at least 10,000 years old and were built when the Sahara was lush and green...

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;397208 said:
^ the earlier the better for Ta Prohm...as I said in this thread way back iirc...once the first ring of temples (Bayon, Angkor etc) get busy you need to start moving out to the further rings...Ta Prohm is in the 2nd ring...so you still need to be early-ish there too
I honestly thought this would be a one time thing for me
See 5-6 temples in 2 days and that's that
Seen it and done it

As you are aware, I'm not exactly a "focus" guy 5555

But I was enthralled, I honestly did not think that would happen
And I will be back to explore ones I didn't see

I really thought after seeing my pics Ao would want to go next time
But she bleeds Thai blood and has it in for Cambodia
Her loss

Plus she'd just be a pain in the ass with the schedule

I think I can get grandpa Dupree to go next time

Dupree

MarcTwoSix;397263 said:
Seen it and done it

Her loss

All these trips the past 10 years to Pattaya. And I never realized it was only a 6 hour drive. I would have gone a long time ago..555

MarcTwoSix

Dupree;397269 said:
All these trips the past 10 years to Pattaya. And I never realized it was only a 6 hour drive. I would have gone a long time ago..555
That's Phnom Penh I think you looked at not Siem Reap

As much as you seemed to like the ruins in Mexico
I think you'd love Angkor

Now I want to see Machu Picchu!!

supersub

MarcTwoSix;397263 said:
Seen it and done it

Her loss

If he doesn't I'll come. 555 I've been wanting to go to Siem Reap for years but stupidly kept putting it off. I think if I went I'd probably want to stay for 5/6 days. Spread the temple touring out so the pace is a bit more relaxed.

How's the food there? I don't think I've ever eaten Cambodian food before.

MarcTwoSix

supersub;397274 said:
If he doesn't I'll come. 555 I've been wanting to go to Siem Reap for years but stupidly kept putting it off. I think if I went I'd probably want to stay for 5/6 days. Spread the temple touring out so the pace is a bit more relaxed.

How's the food there? I don't think I've ever eaten Cambodian food before.
I only ate a bit because I just wasn't hungry the whole time there
Maybe because of the heat

But I had the famous Cambodia breakfast
Mine wasn't as good looking as Mark Weins when he ate it on video
But very good

I also ate at a very popular place called Khmer Grill and the food was excellent

Also I would say for high end places, sort of like Cambodian fusion or "new Cambodian" Siem Reap probably is one of the best cities in SEA for high end local food restaurants

These pics summed up what I ate in 3 days and all were very good

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Moo Uaon

MarcTwoSix;397141 said:
The Tomb Raider temple was a shitshow yesterday
So after sunrise I will head right there and then back to hotel for flight to Bangkok
that's amazing. i was in there 10 years ago with just my guide when he told me that a scene from the film was shot there. i had no prior knowledge of it as i'd never seen the film.

just checked and it was Aug 2008 when i was there so the rainy season and very few people around.

Bacon

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;397272 said:
Now I want to see Machu Picchu!!
I hope you're as fit as a fiddle. A friend of mine was describing the grueling climb in the low oxygen environment. Said he kept chewing cocoa leaves for energy and had to stop after every 10 steps or so towards the top. He's a crossfit trainer.

MarcTwoSix

Bacon;397280 said:
I hope you're as fit as a fiddle. A friend of mine was describing the grueling climb in the low oxygen environment. Said he kept chewing cocoa leaves for energy and had to stop after every 10 steps or so towards the top. He's a crossfit trainer.
I've known many people of varying fitness that do it
You just have to stay in the town a few days to get acclimated

bacwaan

MarcTwoSix;397289 said:
I've known many people of varying fitness that do it
You just have to stay in the town a few days to get acclimated
yeah..its a bit of a struggle and requires a reasonable level of fitness..but I wouldn't say anything great if you take it slow and steady..mind I was about 25-26 and jumping out of my skin when I did it...would need a bit of prep to do it these days I imagine...55

sidvicious

Bacon;397280 said:
There is no need to climb up. There are frequent buses that depart Aguas Calientes(the town where you over night). Its not cheap buses but its an option.
The climb wasnt too bad for me,although it is very humid and that was after a few days in Cusco, which is a bit higher in altitude.