Antananarivo, Madagascar

bacwaan

^ French colonialism will do that to an island/country...555

I went with my former wife back in the 90's as part of a safari trip (photos only) to Tanzania...we also saw Zanzibar and some of Zambia + Mozambique for the Victoria Falls...great trip

Its a poor but beautiful island country...vanilla is one of its main sources of income along with minihg...very little english is spoken but we got by on our pretty rudimentary French...great food and smiling people..well worth a visit as a part of a similar sort of trip imo

BTW King Julian is not actually the King..555

kaptainrob

Administrator
Their internet speed beats most countries hands down ... especially Australia. Would be an interesting place to visit being so far off the beaten track.

Bacon

Administrator
bacwaan;394388 said:
^ French colonialism will do that to an island/country...555

I went with my former wife back in the 90's as part of a safari trip (photos only) to Tanzania...we also saw Zanzibar and some of Zambia + Mozambique for the Victoria Falls...great trip

Its a poor but beautiful island country...vanilla is one of its main sources of income along with minihg...very little english is spoken but we got by on our pretty rudimentary French...great food and smiling people..well worth a visit as a part of a similar sort of trip imo

BTW King Julian is not actually the King..555
Watching this I thought it was a former Spanish colony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBYo6WC_IU4

kaptainrob;394437 said:
Their internet speed beats most countries hands down ... especially Australia. Would be an interesting place to visit being so far off the beaten track.
That's an odd selling point 55. I scratched it off my list though since I'd been misinformed about Julian.

bacwaan

^ plenty of Spanish, Potuguese, Indian and other international influences there...the vanilla production placed it firmly on the spice trading map...

Bacon

Administrator
Sounds like one of those romantic old ports like Havana or even a slightly piratey place like Nassau back in the day. Although if it was on the old spice route it would have had tight security.

bacwaan

Zanzibar would fit that bill...and as I mentioned before easily combined with a visit to Madagascar...its a wonderfully heady mix of old world charm, fierce trading, streets scented with spice + colour and movement... and I am sure you can find many modern day pirates hanging out there