Anyone been to Sri Lanka

OZZYGUY

Thinking a side trip to Sri Lanka in December, anyone been?

What's to do, is it safe, how's the food and people etc

Bacon

Administrator
Yellow status.

Gobment says exercise high degree of caution..... same as Thailand, so take it with a big pinch of salt.

Have a look at Bhutan. I've always wanted to see it. It's as close as you'd ever get to the legend of Shangri-La.

Quarky

Administrator
It was all kicking off there when the PM had to flee the country... not sure how stable it is currently?

Bacon

Administrator
They'd appreciate any income they can have, so there is probably cracking deals to be had. Then again, with people being desperate you might have increased petty theft and stuff. Plus food shortages, power outages, ATMs most likely not having cash, etc etc.

As an adventure it'd be worth it for a short time, but it probably wouldn't be a fun holiday.

Nomad

Sounds like a great holiday destination 555 Just lowered to Thailand level.

Latest update:We've reviewed our advice for Sri Lanka. We've lowered the travel advice level. We now advise you exercise a high degree of caution. Sri Lanka is experiencing an economic crisis which has led to shortages of fuel, cooking gas, food and medicines. Power cuts regularly occur due to electricity rationing. Public demonstrations can occur throughout Sri Lanka. Several violent incidents have taken place during large demonstrations. Avoid areas impacted by demonstrations.

bacwaan

Been a long time since I was there but I found it very beautiful in a colonial kinda way
Beaches fabulous...Resorts were inexpensive and very good albeit a little shabby/chic..which I quite like....and the mountains where its a cooler climate and they grow tea are stunning...
Its had long periods of civil unrest since I was there so I imagine things have changed more than a little..

OZZYGUY

Booked......... hotels seam cheap but farrrrk flights are expensive and shit times back on the return. Still to book return and need to do a online visa $20 USD or $30 if business trip.

Pool looks nice. :)

infinity-pool.jpg