April 2019 Travel Plans

Bacon

Administrator
Moo,

Nothing perks me up more than the freedom you experience on a bike. Like they say, 'when life gets you down, remember it's only one down and the rest is up'.

I need to setup a whole trip just for that. The up and down Vietnam one in particular I want do sooner than later.

Rob,

I noticed it costs the same, but this will give me an excuse to see London. I've never been. I wanna see what all the fuss is about. I bet it's overhyped.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Distantpeak;390384 said:
Didn't know there was a fuss about London... I prefer Paris... 55
I thought Bucharest took your fancy?

South and east of France lovely but I'd give Paris a big miss. IMHO it's one of those post-card places everyone needs to tick off the list. Given my time to visit again, I'd do so only as a pass-thru by car or train and still be able to say I'd 'visited'.

Quarky

Administrator
kaptainrob;390386 said:
I thought Bucharest took your fancy?

South and east of France lovely but I'd give Paris a big miss. IMHO it's one of those post-card places everyone needs to tick off the list. Given my time to visit again, I'd do so only as a pass-thru by car or train and still be able to say I'd 'visited'.
It's been a while since I have been but I loved the back streets of Paris... but then I like Amsterdam too... and Barcelona. Bucharest I don't know too well as only passed through it a few times.. I know Northern Romania better.

In the UK, Edinburgh is still my favourite city to visit...

Notorius

Distantpeak;390384 said:
Didn't know there was a fuss about London... I prefer Paris... 55
I’d be the opposite. London is my favourite place in the world for a short city break. Paris has its highlights most notably the louvre. But I find it dirty and unfriendly. London has everything. Markets, architecture, statues and amazing nightlife. As somewhere to live it’s horrible after living there for two separate occasions. But I love visiting. Especially the chance to see spurs play football.

Notorius

One of the best places I have visited is Florence. Kicks Rome’s ass by a country mile. Hands down one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I love Amsterdam but Rotterdam edges it if you want to experience what Amsterdam has to offer but less touristy. Interlaken in Switzerland blew my mind and I did bungee jump, paragliding, and canyoning. Hated Budapest as I got mugged. Prague is amazing.

Quarky

Administrator
Notorius;390388 said:
I’d be the opposite. London is my favourite place in the world for a short city break. Paris has its highlights most notably the louvre. But I find it dirty and unfriendly. London has everything. Markets, architecture, statues and amazing nightlife. As somewhere to live it’s horrible after living there for two separate occasions. But I love visiting. Especially the chance to see spurs play football.
I used to live 30 mins away by train from the centre of London, just outside the M25... and used to spend a lot of time there in the 90s and 2000s visiting friends. Great for a night out or a weekend... but always came away thinking I am glad I don't live there... 55

But I just like the different vibe I get in Paris... something a bit more Bohemian about it. I also hated that every time I went to London and blew my nose.. my snot was like black tar.... 55. But I agree it's not a bad place for a weekend...

Quarky

Administrator
Notorius;390390 said:
One of the best places I have visited is Florence. Kicks Rome’s ass by a country mile. Hands down one of the most beautiful cities in the world. I love Amsterdam but Rotterdam edges it if you want to experience what Amsterdam has to offer but less touristy. Interlaken in Switzerland blew my mind and I did bungee jump, paragliding, and canyoning. Hated Budapest as I got mugged. Prague is amazing.
Yeah I liked Florence. Went there in 1990... were lot of needle using druggies by the river... but what a lovely city. Stayed in a hotel with a pool overlooking the city...

Heidelberg is still my favourite little town on mainland Europe though..

bacwaan

for me there are the 4 major cities in the world which must be seen and experienced or you have not really lived...New York, London, Berlin and Paris...fortunately I have had the chance to live, work and play in all 4 at various stages of my life...and enjoyed them all thoroughly...warts and all..

Now I'd add in Rome, Florence and Venice in Italy + Barcelona, Amsterdam and Prague to that list (for me)..and then step down one more time to include Vienna, Budapest, Tallinn, Stockholm, Madrid, Lisbon and Copenhagen..

I am talking about Major World Cities here..not individual towns and places..that would be a completely different list altogether

Quarky

Administrator
In saying that.. maybe not Paris at the moment...

Berlin I never made it to and have heard so many good things..

Anyone been to Reykjavik?

Notorius

bacwaan;390395 said:
for me there are the 4 major cities in the world which must be seen and experienced or you have not really lived...New York, London, Berlin and Paris...fortunately I have had the chance to live, work and play in all 4 at various stages of my life...and enjoyed them all thoroughly...warts and all..

Now I'd add in Rome, Florence and Venice in Italy + Barcelona, Amsterdam and Prague to that list (for me)..and then step down one more time to include Vienna, Budapest, Tallinn, Stockholm, Madrid, Lisbon and Copenhagen..

I am talking about Major World Cities here..not individual towns and places..that would be a completely different list altogether
Nels obviously your keyboard is broken and the D u b l I n keys don’t work.

Notorius

Distantpeak;390399 said:
In saying that.. maybe not Paris at the moment...

Berlin I never made it to and have heard so many good things..

Anyone been to Reykjavik?

Love Iceland. Been twice. Scenery is amazing and the women are hot. Expensive but well worth it. A place that people rarely visit.

Quarky

Administrator
Notorius;390402 said:
Nels obviously your keyboard is broken and the D u b l I n keys don’t work.
I like Dublin. It's quite an understated place.... away from the tourist bar areas I loved the local pubs and bars... again this is going back a bit... 55

Belfast surprised me too... what an atmospheric city...

Quarky

Administrator
Notorius;390403 said:
Love Iceland. Been twice. Scenery is amazing and the women are hot. Expensive but well worth it. A place that people rarely visit.
I imagine it's got a very local feel? ie not very cosmopolitan? But something about the place draws me.. quite apart from the scenery...

MarcTwoSix

Notorius;390403 said:
But it is extremely expensive...

MarcTwoSix

Distantpeak;390391 said:
I used to live 30 mins away by train from the centre of London, just outside the M25... and used to spend a lot of time there in the 90s and 2000s visiting friends. Great for a night out or a weekend... but always came away thinking I am glad I don't live there... 55

But I just like the different vibe I get in Paris... something a bit more Bohemian about it. I also hated that every time I went to London and blew my nose.. my snot was like black tar.... 55. But I agree it's not a bad place for a weekend...
I enjoyed London and I have obviously lived in NYC and downtown in every place I have lived

But I found London way more hectic than NYC

I stayed in Regent's Park area right by the Oxford Circus Tube station
It was nice around my hotel but once you got down to the main street it was pretty mad

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;390410 said:
I enjoyed London and I have obviously lived in NYC and downtown in every place I have lived

But I found London way more hectic than NYC

I stayed in Regent's Park area right by the Oxford Circus Tube station
It was nice around my hotel but once you got down to the main street it was pretty mad
I quite like the Covent Garden area... especially around Christmas.. it's very Christmas Carol... 55