Back after a challenging year

W

weitling

retdent;289925 said:
It seems electricians all over the world are taught that way; you can never tie them down.
You are absolutely right 555 They didn't show up today either. This electricians we absolutly not want to use in our next project. The 4 other workers is very reliable, so i will continue to use them.

kaptainrob

Administrator
We sacked our sparkies one full day before completion. They were holding out on installing the mains cable and fitting off the MCB (circuit breakers) until the builder settled old accounts with them. We guaranteed (our) payment to them conditional on completion as promised, next day. They were told "no show, no pay, zilch!"

They didn't show and we deducted 40k from the contract. I had suspicions about them a day earlier when I caught some of my surplus electrical fittings and small purchases disappearing into tool boxes.

Jo had already Googled to find Chiang Mai Air and Electrical Service who agreed to come and look. They'd just completed a major industrial job and had ONE spare day. They came and quoted an unbelievable 3,000 baht to complete our job. So, next day (one day behind original schedule) the new crew arrived promptly at 0900 ... 6 men in total. 3 went to work digging trenches for the mains cable and gate wiring/conduits. 1 began mains breaker/diverter and earthing install downstairs whilst the 2 principals worked upstairs on the MCB and testing all circuits. They finished about 6pm and I expected a bill for extras like conduit, joiners and power pole aluminium fittings ... nope, just 3k and they were happy! We were ecstatic, gave them 3,500 and moved in next day.

They returned 2 weeks later and re-wired the Mains to Meter on a newly install pole for 1,000 Bt but they saved us 15,000 by sourcing a moonlighting PEA crew to supply and install the 8m concrete pole @ 7k instead of PEA price of 22k.

W

weitling

This is indeed what gives gray hair (If any hair) but at least a happy ending for you. We will give them few days and see if they come. My wife also found other workers that we contact if they not show up.

W

weitling

Well!!! Today the electrician came, and i have to say when he work hi work fast 55. Most of all lamps in the house is done, and he would come tomorrow again.
Windows is also installed. Right now they do the last tiles inside the house.
All in all a very good day!. 555

W

weitling

PeteGill;290014 said:
Looking good, what are your plans for the yard, garden?
Thanks. Well i'm not 100% sure yet. I have different theme in my head. One of them is to go the roman style. I also have some heavy old tree roots i want to use.
For sure a fishpond, combined with a BBQ place. Also a vegetable garden is a wish. The land is quite big, so we have many possibilities. In 15 days i go to los again, then i want to plan with my wife, what we do with the garden.

W

weitling

Nomad;289687 said:
Hi Weitling With the windows...are they just normal glass windows? Or is there security mesh or similar on the outside?

MIL is probably going to just put in wood panels for windows downstairs as worried about security as she is absent for long periods. Thus, interested in the cost of glass plus security.

Cheers
Nomad
Hi Nomad here a picture of the security mesh installed

Nomad

weitling;290236 said:
Hi Nomad here a picture of the security mesh installed

These are the ones MIL was looking at. The gold and silver one's were twice the price, so I think the plan is to put them on the front windows, and the thinner one on the other windows.

W

weitling

Nomad;290245 said:
These are the ones MIL was looking at. The gold and silver one's were twice the price, so I think the plan is to put them on the front windows, and the thinner one on the other windows.
Wow they look very good

W

weitling

Well we are approaching the end fase of the build. here some pictures. Tomorrow the doors will get painted. Kitchen on the move and tomorrow the tile on the terrace will start

W

weitling

Right now the electrician is forgiven. He is doing a great work. Doors are painted and door handles installed. It is also the last day working on the terrasse. After that they need the to finish the kitchen. Wednesday they come from public power for inspect and approve the power installation. Thursday i go with my daughter to LOS. Saturday all furnitures come. and we move into the house.

Moo Uaon

weitling;290846 said:
Saturday all furnitures come. and we move into the house.
so you get to choose the day you move in?
usually it's up to a local monk to choose the "lucky" day.
i had to sleep on the sofa alone for a week until we could officially do the deed.

D

Deleted member 133(Obes)

Are they safety switches - RCD's (Residual Current Device) weitling - or just fuses ? The wiring looks pretty neat :)

And the terrace looks great, but how slippery will those tiles be when it's wet...........

S

Seven_

It appears from the photo that there isn't a RCD fitted, brave choice.
They aren’t used much in the villages around here. Most likely because the normal Thai wiring would trip them non-stop. I had a hell of a time explaining to a local electrician what they are and how they work. Still don’t think they know what they are, but at least they wired it up correctly after explaining how.

W

weitling

Moo Uaon;290849 said:
so you get to choose the day you move in?
usually it's up to a local monk to choose the "lucky" day.
i had to sleep on the sofa alone for a week until we could officially do the deed.
Well my wife is 200% buddhist and she said we set the day. So we move in saturday and the monk come the week after. I also believed we had to wait. But in this case i follow my wife 555

W

weitling

Seven_;290892 said:
It appears from the photo that there isn't a RCD fitted, brave choice.
They aren’t used much in the villages around here. Most likely because the normal Thai wiring would trip them non-stop. I had a hell of a time explaining to a local electrician what they are and how they work. Still don’t think they know what they are, but at least they wired it up correctly after explaining how.
obes;290852 said:
Are they safety switches - RCD's (Residual Current Device) weitling - or just fuses ? The wiring looks pretty neat :)

And the terrace looks great, but how slippery will those tiles be when it's wet...........
There has been some rain, and my wife say it is okay to walk at. From the door and to the stairs there will be a carpet 2 meter wide and 4 meter long. that will also help. I really don't know much about power so i followed what the electrician told me to buy. we have an earth connection in cobber that goes 2,5 meter down in the earth that we have 2 times. But i can ask him.

C

Changone

The finish on the house looks good. The columns at the front match the inlaid ones nicely. The front door looks like a good choice too.