Bangkok, Pattaya, Denpasar

MarcTwoSix

Hard to escape the Aussie bogans in Bali. Seminyak was busiest in July and no better than elsewhere, and felt worse as busy.

Big earthquake off Indonesia last night. Luckily it was quite deep. 200km north of Darwin so would be close to Bali.
Well that's a shame
Must have changed a lot

But I was there around 8 years ago
And there was a huge difference between Seminyak and that other area

We only took a drive there one night and quickly headed back to Seminyak

Bacon

Administrator
Bali hasn’t quite bounced back yet. A lot of the old playgrounds and shopping areas are pretty dead and dilapidated. Especially the Kuta scene. The vendors are all desperate and extra hawkish too. Not that I ever shop here, but just walking past is even less pleasant than before.

The one thing I liked about Kuta was walking down Poppies 1 & 2. The little shops and the bars and restaurants towards the end. A lot of interesting people would come and go during the years. Old leftover hippies, surfers past their prime with stories to tell, my favourite dodgy types and everything else in between. Both lanes are now dead.

Espresso bar is still good. Sat there the other night listening to the live band. Still has the vibes.

Other than that it’s just same old same old but less gooder. Still alright for a relaxing holiday, so maybe give the resorts over the other side a shot if coming for leelak.

Still hoping to venture out today or tomorrow. Pharmacy gave me some radioactive antibiotics that did the job in a day. My throat still feels like I’ve been down at the docks deep throating sailors all night, but getting better.

Bacon

Administrator
C86668BC-CDE3-4E9D-A5D8-8B668700868F.jpeg
2B8D862A-2DA3-4766-8C7D-884CF0AC6374.jpeg
5F1C52CE-00DF-4E3C-8491-6E2343D3A5AD.jpeg
F4382FC6-FF0B-438B-9F63-F0F2CCF820FC.jpeg
8748F9EA-051C-4FEF-80FC-248EA3CCB338.jpeg
2E37E2BF-B544-413E-95B2-7949D26F3054.jpeg

The boys wanna go see midget boxing. Not sure I have the stomach for it. Sounds like a sad human exploitation affair. But on the other hand.... it’s midget boxing. Im sure I’ll hate myself for laughing, but hey ho.

10D15BA3-D4C5-4DA3-A789-FAC9250590D7.jpeg

MarcTwoSix

I am in Seminyak 55

But those pictures are Seminyak?
Doesn't look like where we stayed

We stayed at The W, right by Mr Potato Head

It was a sort of quiet tree-y beach road
But again, that was 8 years ago...............so could have changed a lot

Bacon

Administrator
But those pictures are Seminyak?
Doesn't look like where we stayed

We stayed at The W, right by Mr Potato Head

It was a sort of quiet tree-y beach road
But again, that was 8 years ago...............so could have changed a lot
Gone past Tater Head a few times. All looks the same to me.

Bacon

Administrator
Spent the afternoon and evening there.

Ended up finding a place on the front row facing the beach. A few pitchers of red Sangrias, good grub and a couple of cigars later, I ended up putting pillows out right on the deck and fell asleep for a good hour and a bIt. Luckily I don’t toss and turn much in bed, otherwise this would have been a good 8 foot drop off onto the sand below.

Kudeta is still alive and kicking, thank fuck. Built by Colombian cocaine money back in the day, trying to find a places to go. Some of the original guys are still behind bars, but the people running it have managed to keep the vibes alive, bless their souls.

Bacon

Administrator
My brother landed 4pm yesterday, so I scooted up to Canggu to catch up with him today. He’s one of those digital nomad wankers and goes away months at a time. He’s working his way up to India eventually, so I might not see him for the rest of the year. Took all the back alleys and caught up at some cafe, didn’t have time for sight seeing as it’s my last day.

I’ve stopped at Potato Head on the way back before catching up with the boys. Bit of a younger crowd here, not really my scene.

Going to Ultimo for our last dinner. A good Italian restaurant that’s been part of the landscape here for years. They had to shut down for Covid and have moved to another nearby place since. Hopefully it’s still good.

24A03B38-D6B3-49D5-BBE0-75721F6A60A3.jpeg
14751DB2-2CD0-4D3C-95F7-5272FA37AAD7.jpeg53DF7F9C-FF5B-4404-98D6-7FC0576B3AAC.jpeg0296612D-217D-4F53-A641-E573990A2557.jpeg