Box of matches + Bridge =

Quarky

Administrator
Not burned my bridges but taken a lot of risks in my life... some have worked well.. some not so well...

A thing that sorta bothers me more, is out-living all my good friends... as friends and family are slowly dying off... it's starting to remind me of those dreams where everything looks familiar.. but everyone is a stranger...

I'm a loner, but I still like the idea of having people still know of me... 55

Pants... Have you not got any friends that would be there for you if you needed them?

Quarky

Administrator
I'm in my mid fifties. So not quite in the same generation as yourself. But I do think about the future.... and say I live past 100... how many people will i still know...

I'm going to have to start making younger friends... difficult for me... as all my good friends I have known since I was kid... 55

MarcTwoSix

I think a lot of expats, not just in Thailand, "burn their bridges" and at the end of their life, they end up alone or surrounded by mostly acquaintances, not real friends and family.

Obviously there is all kinds of reasons for thier situations

But I've run into expats who will gladly exclaim "I haven't been home in 10yrs" or so

I haven't lived in my hometown of Boston since I was 20yrs old.
Right now, 9 months, is the longest time I have ever gone without being back home

I think the longest before this was 6 months, even when I was living in Asia

I just don't get this sort of "one or the other" attitude
I don't know why you can't love both?

MarcTwoSix

^ Just got down checking in with my oldest friend
We've known each other for 45yrs, since we were 3 years ago
End every conversation or text telling each other "I love ya"

OZZYGUY

I dont think I have "burn their bridges" im my personal life, maybe slightly when I split with the first wife but that sorted its self out after awhile.

Business I have, once a respected member of a large Co opp group then sold out to a consolidator and eventually worked with the consolidator f#cking it up for everyone. Hard to go back to that industry now that was a large part of my working life. Covid has finished that job now and im still a few years away from retirement.

As far as being a expat that I am not at the moment but maybe after Covid I will make the move, Perth in Aust will always be home and I would expect I would return several times a year and no intentions of "burning family bridges"

Moo Uaon

I understand where the OP is coming from.
Known many expats who were in LoS until the day they died as going home just wasn't possible financially and/or no family to stay with whether they were alive or dead nobody wants to impose themselves on family at that stage of life.
One i know that went back home with the chickengunja (or whatever it is) and his wife who luckily was on her own took him in for a couple of months until he got it sorted out with the local doctor and ended up back in LoS.
Same guy went home once and his live in TG sold his car on him,a late model at the time Hilux....being an ex cop it did his head in big time but he's probably still with her to this day as he would've had to physically kick her out and is far too soft to do it 55

MarcTwoSix

I have met expats who seem to wear the “ I haven't been home in 10yrs “ statement like some sort of proud badge .
Or they proclaiming it to make themselves feel better

I find a lot of expats almost feel the need to bash their home to validate their decision of becoming an expat.
As I said before, I don't know why it has to be one or the other
You can love both!

Not many or any expats on this forum do that, IMO

Dupree

I guess if you're an only child it can be difficult near the end. But I would think an only child would already be adapted to having no siblings. I didn't think about it untill now. But I doubt I'll be the last one to go. I have two younger brothers and sisters each to see me off. And even if I was the last. I still have nieces and nephews that would see me off. So that's somewhat comforting.

Moo Uaon

Or they proclaiming it to make themselves feel better

I find a lot of expats almost feel the need to bash their home to validate their decision of becoming an expat.
As I said before, I don't know why it has to be one or the other
You can love both!

Not many or any expats on this forum do that, IMO
I had a great adventure in LoS but glad I did decide to come home as I'm loving it here now

Great job and partner and love where I live now.

How does the song go :)

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption
I planned each charted course
Each careful step along the byway
And more, much more than this
I did it my way

Pants.
Hate to say it.......that's very popular at funerals 555

Last edited:

MarcTwoSix

Please don’t remind me that after expelling my last breath I will then be carried to a buddhist wat and set on 🔥.

I wonder if there is an after life.

Pants.
Ha
My wife and I were discussing this last year
I come from a very Catholic family with the 3 day wakes/funeral

But I don't care about that stuff

I told my wife if I died she could put me in a dumpster

She sat there quietly
Then said "but maybe they think I kill you and I don't get the insurance " 555

PeteGill

Agree that very often expats will run down their home country in an effort to make their move seem more justifiable. But I also think that if you stay in your new home long enough, you tend to take on that lifestyle and 'home' may no longer suit you.
Just as an example, living in LOS with it's year round hot weather and sunshine and going back to face cold winters an bleak weather may not seem appetising to some.