Box of matches + Bridge =

MarcTwoSix

Not having ever returned back to England for nearly 10 years now I wonder just what things have changed and would any of those changes make me want to turn right around and head straight back to the airport and a flight back to Thailand :rolleyes:

Pants.
What do you think would have changed so drastically?

I grew up in Boston and spend 13 years in NYC
I am back to both often

And neither has changed at all
Well except for more development that has been for the good, IMO

Mr. Smiley

What do you think would have changed so drastically?
Speaking for myself, it must be a generational thing. I haven't been back to Canada in almost 10 years. But the technology now is such that it's almost redundant to go back unless it's for a major event (like a death or a wedding).

20 years ago, I would have make a few more trips back just to keep in touch.... but with social media, video calls, high speed internet with wifi coverage I can pretty much get in contact with someone from home as soon as a message notification pings my smart watch.

MarcTwoSix

Speaking for myself, it must be a generational thing. I haven't been back to Canada in almost 10 years. But the technology now is such that it's almost redundant to go back unless it's for a major event (like a death or a wedding).

20 years ago, I would have make a few more trips back just to keep in touch.... but with social media, video calls, high speed internet with wifi coverage I can pretty much get in contact with someone from home as soon as a message notification pings my smart watch.
Although technology is great
I use it all the time with friends and family

It doesn't come close to replacing person to person meetings

Me and my best friends text almost on a daily basis
But it doesn't compare to when we are out together
Usually in places we used to go to
The conversations, when together, are much more nostalgic and there is more love to it

And in relating to technology and Thailand
It is hard for my wife to have the same connection with my sister's on technology being of the language barrier
She gets nervous she won't understand them or them her so she is very reserved on video chats when that is absolutely not the case when she is with my sisters in person

Mr. Smiley

It doesn't come close to replacing person to person meetings
Yeah, my parents would feel the same way. I'm just lucky my sister is still living with them.... at 36 years old and single, keeps me off the hook from having to come for a visit, 55555

MarcTwoSix

Its funny you should mention what do I think may have drastically changed should I set foot back on British soil after all these years, from reading emails I get from a few mates still living in the UK , and I’m not intending to be or want to be considered racist, but from my mates comments they seem to portray the areas where they live in as being swamped with foreigners.

Pants
Because people like you moved away and never came back 555

Quarky

Administrator
Its funny you should mention what do I think may have drastically changed should I set foot back on British soil after all these years, from reading emails I get from a few mates still living in the UK , and I’m not intending to be or want to be considered racist, but from my mates comments they seem to portray the areas where they live in as being swamped with foreigners.

Pants
I'm one of those foreigners... 55

Quarky

Administrator
Fixed it for you.....55
Yeah.. but if he still stimulates him mentally and emotionally... surely that's more important? The old couple in their 70s next door to me... still seem to love each other... they make each other laugh... they seem to be each other's best friend... before Covid they went out dancing a couple of times per week... always doing stuff together...

Not for me... give me a different young, gorgeous, but brain dead 25 yr old each day.... any day... I'll laugh with my mates ...55

Mates.. that's what you need Pants... some mates to hang out with... there must be another expat within 20 miles of you somewhere... feeling just like you... try Tinder.