Building a House in Thailand

wabbits

Well-known member
kaptainrob;233581 said:
Nail on head m8. 555
In Chiang Mai it seems fashionable (often cheaper) to build boxes with no eaves or fancy roofs with no ventilation. People come past our place and remark on the balcony which is the main day use area ... unless we're downstairs.

Some of our neighbours spend most of their day in air con with ~ 5k per month PEA bills.
3 meter stud with a decent pitched roof, windows that catch the breeze from every direction and good fans even at the hottest I am happy to not have aircon...(though wiring is in place)
 
S

Seven_

Guest
I don't have aircon, but my roof is 5 metres pitched roof with end vents and a lots of windows that can be opened (every wall except for one has windows), with a good design I don't think you need aircon in Thailand if you live out of a city area. We also have an outdoor kitchen/meals area separate from the house next to a large dam that is great to sit at during a hot day. I think its about sensible design that makes the difference.
 

justcruzing1

Active member
lakeboy;233747 said:
I had a good friend of mine build me a home. I really enjoyed the experience, but it does take a lot of your time. You have a thousand decisions to make. If you have the time for it, it's a good experience.
Agree, what it is like is giving birth with out the pain or stretch marks. It is work, you need to make decisions and watch as your design comes to life.

Stat's show if you build you stay in it longer, a few years extra on average longer than buying a new spec, built by someone else.

There is an emotional attachment to it. Also has been custom made to fit you and the family, so less likeyhood of moving and that saves money.
 

Moo Uaon

Well-known member
yeah,we don't have AC in our house.
it's ok when it's really hot. fan is fine for sleeping.

but in Jan it's been really cold inside the last couple of years. had to sleep with a thick duvet/quilt thingo cover.
 

justcruzing1

Active member
Seven_;233754 said:
I don't have aircon, but my roof is 5 metres pitched roof with end vents and a lots of windows that can be opened (every wall except for one has windows), with a good design I don't think you need aircon in Thailand if you live out of a city area. We also have an outdoor kitchen/meals area separate from the house next to a large dam that is great to sit at during a hot day. I think its about sensible design that makes the difference.
Any photo's???
 
I

irlguy

Guest
Saw his post too.
He said he would never build another house :)
I am looking to build my own place in Phayao soon so I am hoping I wont get as stressed as him but I know I probably will
 

wabbits

Well-known member
irlguy;250525 said:
Saw his post too.
He said he would never build another house :)
I am looking to build my own place in Phayao soon so I am hoping I wont get as stressed as him but I know I probably will
Be hands on and have patients and never asume they know what you mean construction wize...
 
I

irlguy

Guest
wabbits;250538 said:
Be hands on and have patients and never asume they know what you mean construction wize...

I dont live there yet so that will be the problem. My father in law will have to be foreman.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
irlguy;250553 said:
I dont live there yet so that will be the problem. My father in law will have to be foreman.
Instead of rushing into building a house..........wouldn't it be prudent to know the area and the ins and outs?
It seems you are going about it backwards
 
Z

Zablive

Guest
Invest a little in fly/mozzie screens (all lockable) and screen security doors with deadlocks.
Then you can open up for air crossflow as it suits.
Check out the prevailing breezes in different seasons before siting your windows and doors.

IMHO your FIL will probably not have a clue about this.
 

justcruzing1

Active member
The biggest thing is to get everything on the plan and in the specifications, if it's not there then it is not included, no good saying "But I thought that was included".

That means sitting down and thinking thru the whole of the construction of the house in your mind, get a pad and start writing then check the items are in the specs, every little thing, like toilet roll holders, towel rails, Power connection and if you plan on putting in air con later, make sure the power box is suitable for the expansion.

If you know anyone in the house building game in your home town, talk to them for ideas, even go to a display home, and ask to buy a full set of specs to one of their homes similar to what your building, might cost $50?? but it will give you a base to work off.

Remember if it's not on the plan or in the specs it will be an extra cost, or not done.
 

mechime

Active member
And a strong Forewomen helps. I used an exercise book and sketched each stage with dimensions and handed it to the builder, he decided the quantity and I bought the material, he was ace, he had worked for Falangs before, even though he spoke no English.
 
I

irlguy

Guest
mechime;251036 said:
And a strong Forewomen helps. I used an exercise book and sketched each stage with dimensions and handed it to the builder, he decided the quantity and I bought the material, he was ace, he had worked for Falangs before, even though he spoke no English.
Trust me
They wouldn't want to mess with my wife 555
 
D

Dazza

Guest
Zablive;250717 said:
Invest a little in fly/mozzie screens (all lockable) and screen security doors with deadlocks.
Then you can open up for air crossflow as it suits.
Check out the prevailing breezes in different seasons before siting your windows and doors.

IMHO your FIL will probably not have a clue about this.
The typical fly/mozzie screens are ****...waste of money...get a decent screen/security door that doubles as both, will cost you though.
 

jontymate

Active member
Hello this is Dao

Building project is very hard in every country. I have managed this project now in Australia and Thailand. We talk about Thailand so I make there in my home town a block of units for university student accommodation. Very very hard job.

Now background for this story. My MIL give me almost half a million dollars for taking care of her when sick before she die. The paper she write for the money have some rules how to spend it. Learn to manage a project. This I did for 18 months night time school. Very valuable education. She also write in the paper never direct money should go to my parents. This was a big problem with her that we give money to my parents. It's OK from the money from the rent if they work to take care of the building

I very love her up more than my mum because she find in me the beautiful smart and makes the rules for life OK for a women. Very powerful you understand.

Rules for building.
No1 Not talk to jonty about it.5555555
Plan it on the plan before doing.
Be flexible but should be in the plan already.
Manage the project from the brain not the heart alone.
Research and research more.


This building project of student accommodation...what is in my brain to do and what outcome to make you think?

Independent Thai women ????
 
D

Dazza

Guest
jontymate;251292 said:
Hello this is Dao

Building project is very hard in every country. I have managed this project now in Australia and Thailand. We talk about Thailand so I make there in my home town a block of units for university student accommodation. Very very hard job.

Now background for this story. My MIL give me almost half a million dollars for taking care of her when sick before she die. The paper she write for the money have some rules how to spend it. Learn to manage a project. This I did for 18 months night time school. Very valuable education. She also write in the paper never direct money should go to my parents. This was a big problem with her that we give money to my parents. It's OK from the money from the rent if they work to take care of the building

I very love her up more than my mum because she find in me the beautiful smart and makes the rules for life OK for a women. Very powerful you understand.

Rules for building.
No1 Not talk to jonty about it.5555555
Plan it on the plan before doing.
Be flexible but should be in the plan already.
Manage the project from the brain not the heart alone.
Research and research more.


This building project of student accommodation...what is in my brain to do and what outcome to make you think?

Independent Thai women ????
Very clever move...you should make a heap of money renting to university students in no time at all...good luck with that :)
 

Cuzzy

Active member
Dao.. you sound like a very smart cookie. Ever think of coming to NZ 555.

Au talked about building in Kaset or Chumphae, away from the family. I thought this a little odd, that she would want to move away but now that her papa has passed away her mum is driving her nuts. Now her sister Saiphon is talking about moving as well, sounds like some disfunction in the family.

They have the family home with SIL on one side and BIL on the other in Ban Pao... middle of nowhere.
 
Top