Buying land after crisis is over

Nomad

MarcTwoSix;433078 said:
I've never had a desire to spend much time in the village but I do now in the future
Ao's village is beautiful and not far from Singburi that has a lot going on
I'd be happy to spend some decent amount of time there
Plus it's only a 2hr drive to Bangkok

The dilemna that I am faced with is building a house that I want to live in
Ao would be happy with a house that costs 1mil baht
I wouldn't
But have no clue if you can even get decent enough builders to make it worth spending for what I would want

So may be something in the middle
But i definitely want to build something that I enjoy

I'd rather spend, say 6mil baht than wasting 2mil baht on a place I don't really love

PS....I'd have no clue what 6mil would buy, I just picked that #
I thought Ao was from Samut Prakan.

B6m goes a very long way when labour is so cheap. However, as you know, land prices are over-the-top, unless an opportunity falls in your lap. Very hard when you are not on the ground, and patience is critical.

OZZYGUY

MarcTwoSix;433078 said:
I've never had a desire to spend much time in the village but I do now in the future
Ao's village is beautiful and not far from Singburi that has a lot going on
I'd be happy to spend some decent amount of time there
Plus it's only a 2hr drive to Bangkok

The dilemna that I am faced with is building a house that I want to live in
Ao would be happy with a house that costs 1mil baht
I wouldn't
But have no clue if you can even get decent enough builders to make it worth spending for what I would want

So may be something in the middle
But i definitely want to build something that I enjoy

I'd rather spend, say 6mil baht than wasting 2mil baht on a place I don't really love

PS....I'd have no clue what 6mil would buy, I just picked that #
From what I have seen with a few friends and a BM on TD in Chiang mai a 6mil build will get you a nice place but if you want a castle you are way under budget.

MarcTwoSix

Nomad;433083 said:
I thought Ao was from Samut Prakan.

B6m goes a very long way when labour is so cheap. However, as you know, land prices are over-the-top, unless an opportunity falls in your lap. Very hard when you are not on the ground, and patience is critical.
Well she lives in Samut Prakan and grew up mostly there from 5yrs on
But her village is in Suphanburi (well dad's side, mom's side is Petchaburi near Cha Am)

And yeah I am in no hurry

I would be very happy to get say 10rai for 1.5mil
I don't want to go l much higher than that for the land

As for the 6mil
Not saying I'd spend that.....was just a figure to compare to the 1mil Ao would he happy with
I think spending 1-2mil on a house just to have it would be a waste of money
I'd rather spend more to get what I want, without going too crazy
It's still a village house I'd only spend part of the year in

Her bad aunt had a pretty big house for 4mil

I'd rather have a smaller house but more quality

But my concern is maybe you can't find the builders out there to build with quality I'd want

MarcTwoSix

OZZYGUY;433086 said:
From what I have seen with a few friends and a BM on TD in Chiang mai a 6mil build will get you a nice place but if you want a castle you are way under budget.
Not looking for a castle at all
I'd be happy with a 3 bedroom one level house
I think under 2mil for the land and up to 6mil total would get what I wanted. That's just going what I've seen houses that are 2mil in her village are like

But I do want it with good furnishings. Sort of like one of those hotels that are in between classic Thai and modern

One of my ideas would to be build the house and then build a guest house as an office(guest bedroom) that is like those classic houses on stilts but smaller
I think that would be cool and not a huge amount of money

As I said I I honestly don't have a clue
This wouldn't happen for a couple years
I'd buy land tomorrow if a good deal falls in my lap
But don't need to build the house anytime soon....

OZZYGUY

MarcTwoSix;433088 said:
One of my ideas would to be build the house and then build a guest house as an office(guest bedroom) that is like those classic houses on stilts but smaller
I think that would be cool and not a huge amount of money
And im guessing a pool with a bar would be up the top of the list....55

Good luck with whatever you do.

Talk to KR he has a good understanding of building and I believe what he has in CM you would like.

MarcTwoSix

OZZYGUY;433091 said:

Talk to KR he has a good understanding of building and I believe what he has in CM you would like.
May hire him as project manager 5555

MarcTwoSix

OZZYGUY;433091 said:

I would want a pool to enjoy the house more

But quite honestly I have no idea what that would entail in a house in the village
But I would make it happen if I could

OZZYGUY

MarcTwoSix;433093 said:
I would want a pool to enjoy the house more

But quite honestly I have no idea what that would entail in a house in the village
But I would make it happen if I could
Teach someone to clean and look after it. Thats the advice I can give.......55

MarcTwoSix

OZZYGUY;433098 said:
Teach someone to clean and look after it. Thats the advice I can give.......55
My 2 worries is building a pool on that type of land
But I've seen home stays in rice paddies with nice pools
So I guess possible

But having the only pool in village could bring a lot of unwanted guests! 5555

OZZYGUY

MarcTwoSix;433100 said:
So I guess possible

Yeah you will come back after a few months in Canada and the pool will be full of ducks and local kids.....55

kaptainrob

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;433100 said:
So I guess possible

My wife made a rule straight off. no kids allowed in our pool, (there's a mooban pool they can use). That solves the uninvited guest problem ... along with a big fence!

Our pool has 350mm thick walls and more steel than the Loi Kroh iron bridge... it wasn't going to float up out the ground last wet season as the water table rose. It's also built up 1.5m, 3/4 above ground, level with the pool deck. cabana and main house floor.

Pools cost from 500k upwards depending on size, shape and equipment. Ours is 10m x 4m and was just under 1mil complete with spa and mineral salt chlorination.

As Ash says, 5 or 6mil can get you a very nice build with pool, land extra.

OZZYGUY

Rob 500k is about what I paid in Perth for a pool in my last place. That was basic pool and equipment not gardens, paving etc

OZZYGUY

Bacon;433120 said:
I was done with pools after my last property. Pain in the aaass!
Agree 100%, I wouldnt have one again unless I lived in Asia and had a pool guy (or girl)

kaptainrob

Administrator
OZZYGUY;433125 said:
Agree 100%, I wouldnt have one again unless I lived in Asia and had a pool guy (or girl)
haha ... I told Jo all about maintenance and costs ... she's yet to learn the basics. Next weeks program!

I must admit that weekly maintenance with this mineral salt system (Aussie PuraPool) is proving quite easy. Storms will cause an imbalance and some cleaning but nothing serious. House design blocks most storm/leaf litter and I've yet to use the leaf scoop. Vacuum ~ once a month?

Cost of electricity and chemical = approx 1500 baht per month.

OZZYGUY

kaptainrob;433153 said:
haha ... I told Jo all about maintenance and costs ... she's yet to learn the basics. Next weeks program!

I must admit that weekly maintenance with this mineral salt system (Aussie PuraPool) is proving quite easy. Storms will cause an imbalance and some cleaning but nothing serious. House design blocks most storm/leaf litter and I've yet to use the leaf scoop. Vacuum ~ once a month?

Cost of electricity and chemical = approx 1500 baht per month.
Get a house boy, you know cleans the pool, washes the car, takes out the trash, weeds the garden, drives you around in the car type of guy. This is something I will do if I ever lived in PI as well as a nanny.

Quarky

Administrator
OZZYGUY;433154 said:
Get a house boy, you know cleans the pool, washes the car, takes out the trash, weeds the garden, drives you around in the car type of guy. This is something I will do if I ever lived in PI as well as a nanny.
I love doing that stuff! Can I have an interview? Am I allowed to shag the nanny?

kaptainrob

Administrator
OZZYGUY;433154 said:
Get a house girl, you know cleans the pool, washes the car, takes out the trash, weeds the garden, drives you around in the car type. This is something I will do if I ever lived in PI as well as a nanny.
Fixed that 4 u. 55

I would have happily trained Pim, did you ever meet her? ;jawdrop; Our new maeban is too old and not the live-in type.

Pim was only part time with us and left her main job for a better one in Bangkok.

OZZYGUY

Quarky;433156 said:
I love doing that stuff! Can I have an interview? Am I allowed to shag the nanny?
You know in PI a lot of familys have a nanny and some a house boy. Lots of storys of the boss or the driver or both shagging the nanny.

My MIL's nanny is fugly as, welcome to shag her, dont think she has ever been shagged........55

OZZYGUY

kaptainrob;433160 said:
Fixed that 4 u. 55

I would have happily trained Pim, did you ever meet her? ;jawdrop; Our new maeban is too old and not the live-in type.

Pim was only part time with us and left her main job for a better one in Bangkok.
Yeah I did meet Pim, The real reason Pin left was Jo told her to bugger off............555