Chiang Mai news & weather update

Moo Uaon

On the other hand i found at this time of the year coming into the coldest part with inversion type conditions prevailing it only took a few small fires here and there to choke the place up with fog,mist and smoke.

kaptainrob

Administrator
On the other hand i found at this time of the year coming into the coldest part with inversion type conditions prevailing it only took a few small fires here and there to choke the place up with fog,mist and smoke.
Yes, an inversion layer certainly traps smoke below in our valley but fog actually clears the air of particulate matter by moistening particles which then drop to ground. Conversely, a searing hot day lifts dust particles and exacerbates AQ by mixing with smoke and vehicle emissions. This is when you'll see high AQI readings in cbd areas especially during rush hour traffic.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Daytime temperatures now average around 30c, with clear blue skies, though our mornings are a tad chilly at ~ 22c.

No rain for a month already and it's getting a little dusty. This will no doubt cause a stir among the AQI watchers on Thai Visa even though we've experienced little in the way of fires yet.

The current Covid scare has caused an increase in body temp scanning although ppl are accustomed to wearing masks anyway so little has changed .... except the big Malls are desperately quiet! Could've shot a cannon through Central Airport Sunday lunch time and not hit anyone, except us. No waiting for a table at Fuji ... more staff than diners.

Many hotels are closed, large and small, even some of the most luxurious. Those which remain open were hopeful of an improved NY holiday season but that's looking doubtful. Dhara Devi, the most luxurious of all hotels is closed, in receivership, and owing millions in unpaid wages. I wonder if Chinese buyers will snap it up.... it's a massive property and ideal for further development.
If you've got a spare 2 billion baht lying around .....

OZZYGUY

If you've got a spare 2 billion baht lying around .....

Are you going to the auction?, could you do a live feed and do a bid for me please.......55

OZZYGUY

No wucking furries mate. PM your bank a/c details and passwords please.

BTW, feels like snow coming .... 21c here at noon today with a mild nor'easterly blowing.
Oh wait.........the price was Billions, not Millions.......To many zeroooooooooo's

kaptainrob

Administrator
Oh wait.........the price was Billions, not Millions.......To many zeroooooooooo's
Too many bedrooms for Janice to clean anyway.

This is the coolest 'winter' in 10 years. Usually we'd have 2 or 3 weeks of 'cold', but this year it started early December with sub 24c mornings but we're now seeing 13 or 14 here in the city! Yesterday's high was only 22.

1610502526944.png