Chiang Mai news & weather update

The chick next door lit a fire this morning and the bastard is still smoldering at 3.15 pm. Leaves and whatnot. Stupid bitch, might have to take her matches away from her.
All she needs to do is rake the fire every now and then but that seems like work to some of these Thais. I dare not say anything as I am only a crazy farang because I should know that fire does not burn the same in Thailand as in Australia. 55
Apart from these rubbish fires the air is generally breathable.

Warming up at the moment, around the 37C mark at the moment and a BBQ down the road for a friends pre-wedding do to attend shortly. Oh what fun!!
Wouldn't be dead for quids.

Last edited:

kaptainrob

Administrator
The chick next door lit a fire this morning and the bastard is still smoldering at 3.15 pm. Leaves and whatnot. Stupid bitch, might have to take her matches away from her.
All she needs to do is rake the fire every now and then but that seems like work to some of these Thais. I dare not say anything as I am only a crazy farang because I should know that fire does not burn the same in Thailand as in Australia. 55
Apart from these rubbish fires the air is generally breathable.

Warming up at the moment, around the 37C mark at the moment and a BBQ down the road for a friends pre-wedding do to attend shortly. Oh what fun!!
Wouldn't be dead for quids.
Can't Fon hard a word or is that in the too hard basket?

Got to 34c at the airport, 29c at our place amidst the trees Humidity was in the high 20's compared with 18% two days ago. Nice weather despite the haze. Vis today has improved from 5 to 6 km's.

sidvicious

Smoke haze from bush fires all across the north (Burma and other provinces) has once again settled in our broad valley. Yesterday the smoke was as dense as I recall from 2012, with visibility at ~ 1.5 km's. We were on the highway south and so it was easy to measure. Dust from agriculture, building and industry is lifted airborne by the heat and adds to the haze but we're lucky there is very little chemical pollution.

The highway #11 south continues to improve, now mostly 6 lanes, nearly all intersections have flyovers and there's a massive overhead junction being constructed at Lamphun. The arterial roads around Lamphun are being upgraded and widened as more and more fruit, packaging and distribution warehouses are established. New 7-11 and CPFood buildings have a massive footprint.

Well over half of all hotels, large and small, are closed and occupancy for the balance is in single digits except for long weekends when Bangkokians tend to visit and are drawn to the likes of Shangri-La or Ratilanna hotels though even their rates have been drastically slashed. Songkran visitors are being enticed with room rates up to 90% off.
Not sure if youve seen this fire map before....looks nasty.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Not sure if youve seen this fire map before....looks nasty.
Yes, that's pretty much indicative of the problem this time of year. When we have a predominant westerly wind the haze is bad and we need a strong sou'wester to drive smoke out of the valleys.

For some reason the autumn leaf fall is sluggish this year and I've noticed a greater brown-out of natural vegetation. Normally we see an amazing spectacle of flowering trees by now. Climate change.

The wife will not get involved, period. She, as most Thais will tell you " up to she " in this case. Mai Pen Rai.
This crap is embedded in their brain and to question is Wrong.
Never mind, it drives me nuts at times but they are on the hole stupid fuckers so I just have to live with it.

On an other note, I have a broken water pipe under the concrete floor in the bathroom. Asked the builder where the plumbing ran under the floor. No chance becausr he is sure I want him to fix the problem...He almost ran away and still no answer.55

I will plumb the house from the outside this time around, I am not going to pull up a tile floor for a leak to show up somewhere else.
There is no tomorrow in this culture. Blue PVC pipe, I will paint it where I can. Not like I can ever sell the place.

kaptainrob

Administrator
The wife will not get involved, period. She, as most Thais will tell you " up to she " in this case. Mai Pen Rai.
Never mind, it drives me nuts at times but they are on the hole stupid fuckers so I just have to live with it.

On an other note, I have a broken water pipe under the concrete floor in the bathroom. Asked the builder where the plumbing ran under the floor. No chance becausr he is sure I want him to fix the problem...He almost ran away and still no answer.55

I will plumb the house from the outside this time around, I am not going to pull up a tile floor for a leak to show up somewhere else.
There is no tomorrow in this culture. Blue PVC pipe, I will paint it where I can. Not like I can ever sell the place.

Fon's attitude is typical. It took a long time for Jo to wise up when building the 1st house but eventually she blew her top and told contractors to put up or piss off... And they went. She got on the net and found new electricians who came next day, 6 men in a pickup, and finished our install by 6pm including mains connection, all at a cheaper price than the idiots she sacked.

Village plumbing installations are the same all over Th. Anyone can do it, no qualifications required to glue pipe together. Permanent vents on WC or septic systems are almost unheard of and ppl wonder why they get that rotten egg smell in the hong naam. lol. We had an external PV installed in our 1st rental as the WC would back up in wet weather when the septic flooded ... plumber thought I was mad but followed my instructions.

All part of the fun Ted.

MarcTwoSix

How long you been together?

You don't seem shy to state your opinion 555(not a knock, a compliment)

That may evening rub off on her
My wife doesn't do the "Thai can't say or question anything" anymore

She said "I am (my last name) now" 5555

^By the way, she doesn't mean that makes her a big shot or anything. Just that she has adapted my big mouth 5555

You don't seem shy to state your opinion 555(not a knock, a compliment)

That may evening rub off on her
My wife doesn't do the "Thai can't say or question anything" anymore

She said "I am (my last name) now" 5555

^By the way, she doesn't mean that makes her a big shot or anything. Just that she has adapted my big mouth 5555
Only Nine years on and off, we have a little way to go yet.
She says I am learning. 55

kaptainrob

Administrator
Now the 3rd day of overcast and damp conditions with lower temps, currently 26 at 0945. It's very pleasant although quite unusual to experience this weather so early .... seasons are obviously changing.

Moo Uaon

^ I noticed it in BKK 2-3 years ago at Easter - Songkran time.
Sat by the river eating needed a long sleeve shirt after dark.
Very pleasant but most unusual from previous experience.

Been a wet last 4 months here on the Goldie... hasn't stopped raining just about the whole Easter

Quarky

Administrator
Been a warm sunny week into the 20s some days. Warmest March day on record at one point last week. Today was pleasant. Tomorrow snow.... 😭😭

kaptainrob

Administrator
Still raining in the north with some very heavy falls in certain areas causing floods. CM had good soaking rain last night and it's a chilly 23 this morning. :)

4 Covid cases reported yesterday, visitors from Bangkok apparently, and more likely given the usual influx for the Songkran holiday. Bars and clubs to close at 11pm, otherwise business as normal though the big malls will go quiet again.

40C last week and dry as you know what. Went down to the beach ( Liam Singh Chanthaburi ) for a few days and it rained here and on the coast.
Still warm back in Korat but the dust has settled.
The wife is pissed that she missed out on the first major Frog hunt for the year but has a new head torch for tonight. queer buggers, I tell ya.168383772_824844711462918_3761995669813239686_n.jpg168372526_785565239023156_6787963072789695561_n.jpg

Last edited:

kaptainrob

Administrator
Big rainstorm swept across CM from the sou'west about 10pm last night. A few trees or limbs down, loads of surface flooding as the rain was very heavy for an hour, and no doubt other damage around the province.

Meanwhile, the Convention Centre has been set up as a Covid hospital as the case-load increases. Reported cases is now over 700 with the majority having been infected around CMU and Nimman Haemin night spots. Bars and clubs no shut down by the Governor. Traffic around town is comparably light although Songkran festivities will proceed.

Covid risk map here > CLICKY <