Chiang Mai photo tour

kaptainrob

Administrator
Instead of the usual TR or weekly blog ... photos!

A beautiful city of greenery abounding in colourful blossoms > Crepe Myrtle or Lagerstroemia Floribunda

> Don Khun or Golden Shower tree

> Chom-poo or Rose Apple

Fabulous restaurants just minutes away on Nimmanhaemin Soi 17 >

Nearby, Suthep market >

Chiang Mai sausage - Sai ua (ไส้อั่ว) >

Songkran >

Arliss Michaels

Great photo's Rob, the lady in orange in the last picture, looks as though she enjoys a photo opportunity 555, until I moved slide bar to see she was getting soaked (15" screen on a work computer) .Looking at those snaggers made me hungry too.

Sydney

kaptainrob;30832 said:
It looks so clean up there Rob, and green as well with all the trees? Are you pics a fair representation for the whole area or just this surburb ?

If you took out the tuk tuk in that 2nd pic, you would start to think some other country

wabbits

Golden shower tree......Unfortunent name.
When traveling during Song Kran much better to do it in car.
It's fun if you are prepared for it.

jontymate

kaptainrob;30832 said:
Oh the "White carrot" Dao calls it .. here Lobok or white radish

My preferred som tam with cashews instead of peanuts she makes for me most days before she adds 10 chillies stinky fish and fermented Pu.

The is almost a black market economy here on Green paw paw through the winter months

kaptainrob

Administrator
Arliss Michaels;30833 said:
Great photo's Rob, the lady in orange in the last picture, looks as though she enjoys a photo opportunity 555, until I moved slide bar to see she was getting soaked (15" screen on a work computer) .Looking at those snaggers made me hungry too.
555 I think I made her day.... as I walked up confronted with buckets of water, I said "sawasdee khup/sabai dee mai" and when she responded, I said "phom rak khun". She was so happy I walked on .... dry as toast!

kaptainrob

Administrator
Sydney;30842 said:
It looks so clean up there Rob, and green as well with all the trees? Are you pics a fair representation for the whole area or just this surburb ?

If you took out the tuk tuk in that 2nd pic, you would start to think some other country
That's one of CM's attractions, it is far cleaner than the south, or Isaan.

kaptainrob

Administrator
jontymate;30857 said:
Oh the "White carrot" Dao calls it .. here Lobok or white radish

My preferred som tam with cashews instead of peanuts she makes for me most days before she adds 10 chillies stinky fish and fermented Pu.

The is almost a black market economy here on Green paw paw through the winter months
One chili is enough and NO stinky fish or crabs! Jo makes som tam thai several times a week and fortunately she likes it same same me! Is it any wonder my daily motions have increased to 2?

Jo calls it white carrot also and small ones are really nice raw ... like radish. She uses the pulped flesh as a face mask to remove freckles and condition skin .... it works! Great in soups and stews also.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Local arts and crafts are quite stunning and quality product not much dearer than the city markets. [To qualify that, wooden items such as bowls made from mango wood must be kiln-dried before final carving or lathing.]

Rivo

Hey Rob have you had a chance to get down to Hang Dong where most of the factories that make the Art/Craft and Furniture are, they have show rooms aswell, can easily spend a day just looking around, there are some very talented people there and they dont mind showing you there talents.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Rivo;31054 said:
Hey Rob have you had a chance to get down to Hang Dong where most of the factories that make the Art/Craft and Furniture are, they have show rooms aswell, can easily spend a day just looking around, there are some very talented people there and they dont mind showing you there talents.
Yes buddy, Baan Tawai it's called ... could spend a week there but I'd need a 40' container to ship everything I'd like to send back to Oz. :(

kaptainrob

Administrator
Chiang Mai's Royal Thai Airforce Wing 41 is holding an Air-show to mark RTAF's 100 years Anniversary. Being only 600m away from home we wandered down at 0930 and caught the best aerial demo's before the 37c heat got the better of us.

New Saab Gripen is ok though not as graceful as the F16 ... pics >

Quarky

Administrator
Rivo;31054 said:
Is that were you got your furniture that you shipped back to Aussie?

Quarky

Administrator
Pilots start young... looks full of confidence though... has the look of "Iceman" out of Top Gun... 555

Rivo

Distantpeak;31096 said:
Is that were you got your furniture that you shipped back to Aussie?
Yes DP thats the place, K1(Kev) from PI gave me a few places to go to, very helpfull and great bloke who I met at 69 Bar in CM.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Rivo;31107 said:
Yes DP thats the place, K1(Kev) from PI gave me a few places to go to, very helpfull and great bloke who I met at 69 Bar in CM.
K2 actually, a top bloke. We found some quality recycled teak wood furniture that was as good as Indo stuff I saw in a Phuket Town exclusive store (near Outlet on Bypass Road), but a fraction of the price.

Quarky

Administrator
K2 is a good guy. Met him on my first trip to CM a couple of years ago. Nothing like his online persona.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Coincidental to what we were doing today, I parked outside the Mandarin - Luxury Resort in Chiang Mai | Mandarin Oriental Hotel Chiang Mai, Thailand - and upon conclusion of our business, went for a squizz ... as you do, despite TW complaining in the ~40c heat!

Website doesn't do the place justice ... it should be ranked alongside Angkor Wat and the Pyramids ... yet at only 8 years old much of the 150 rai looks to have been around for 80+ years, including the buildings.

I'll not post full details here, in public, but if any CM visitors wish to view this paradise within a paradise (Chiang Mai) there is a special treat in store.

My photos will give you some idea... wait up while I edit ... ok na.

kaptainrob

Administrator

~ 400 staff work here and those we encountered were courteous, well groomed and pleasant ... as is normal up north! I reckon half the staff must be gardeners.