Chiang Mai photo tour

Hatari

Going back in time, Chiang Mai photos from late 1980 - from Chiang Mai City News

End of Ratchamanka Road and moat in late 80s

The only bookshop back then. Communist threat?

Trying to move an elephant that died in the road

No superhighways, ring roads, or concrete roads. The main roads to Hang Dong and Doi Saket were tree lined 2 lanes...No Tesco, Carrefour, Big C or Makro. Tantrapan and Niyom Panet catered to consumers but TVs made in Japan cost $450. $1 was 25 baht.
Traffic was mainly trucks, buses, working pick-ups and Honda dreams. Lots of students rode bicycles. Cars cost a small fortune and were confined to the very rich. Westerners couldn't own a car. A big bike was a 125 Honda Wing. Then 150 2-stroke racers came out and they were the fastest local bike on the road. Big bikes were available from Japan but it was very hard to get spares and repairs, waits lasted 4 or 5 months, officially they were illegal.
The fax was taking over from the telex but phone lines were scarce and offices charged $10 to send a page to England. An overseas phone call took hours at an office. Beer was a choice between Singha and Amarit, and it was cheap, $1 for a small bottle. Thai brown alcohol with ice and coke was the 'get drunk' drink.
There were no high rise condos. It was a quiet drive through the countryside to go to the university or zoo. Nimmanheamin was a politician, not a traffic jammed shopping district. You could clearly see Doi Suthep unless it was raining.
Visa runs were train trips to Penang taking a week in all. Laos and Burma were not open for tourists.

kaptainrob

Administrator
New shopping malls are popping up, fast! Not before time either ....

The old Kad Suan Kaew, still popular with locals due to City, Hospitals and Uni proximity is otherwise well past it's use-by-date. Parking can be a nightmare at peak times and Central Groups department store remains a major drawcard.

Nearby, Maya is about to open and will give KSK a run for it's money >

CM residents eagerly await this mall's opening as it's both centrally located and a new concept, described thus >

Maya is a special retail center, aiming to be the icon and landmark of Chiang Mai. "Building as Art", "Window of Nimman" is the concept of the project. The external characteristic is ring of light and treasure, reflecting a modern and simple building, shaped like a circle and the symbol inspired from "Sabai" fabric, which is a beautiful soft, and light streaming, reflecting the local culture and Thai tradition.
Airport Central Plaza, just south of the moat will remain ever popular, it's former #1 status enhanced by the addition of a new mega-home-store, Baan&Beyond - a revamped HomeWorks.

Central Groups latest mega-mall, Central Festival, just opened on CM's north-side and is a very welcome addition as northern suburbs had long been under-serviced.

We visited the much-maligned Promenada Resort Mall yesterday and concur with the general feeling of let-down (thru poor design) by it's Euro developers. Structurally and aesthetically, Promenada is uniquely attractive and set in park-like surroundings. Nice for northern Europe but Thai's don't like walking too far (nor some whingeing expats on another forum) and so the undercover carpark gets jam-packed with in-line parking in front of std car spaces whilst vast outdoor parking remains empty (even on a fine 24c day).

Saturday 1130am, Promenada is eerily quiet and we feel sorry for the small tenants, many will surely go bust >

Of all the restaurants, 3 stand out as worth our patronage (although more of interest places are yet to open); MIX has been hailed as one of Thailand's best; The Dukes is of course well-known; and Wine Connection is always a favourite. Yesterday we chose the latter for a fabulous Caprichosa pizza, each.

I look forward to sampling a few 50cl/pints of Eu's finest brews next visit >

Promenada has one saving grace, other than fine restaurants. Rimping Supermarkets as a major tenant with it's lifestyle centre is unique. Complete with Deli, wine sales, oyster bar, Japanese sushi restaurant, 69 Bt cafe breakfasts, bakery, coffee shop and kitchen ware store ... wow ... and grocery prices are the SAME as all other CM Rimping's. Imported goods + fresh meat, fish and produce of a quality seldom seen in SE Asia.

60 Baht cappucino "to go" >

(from) 100 Baht per freshly shucked oyster, selections from all over the world >

Good one Rob, didn't see the new Malls last month but will have to check out some of those joints when next in town. That oyster bar looks good!

Jo is looking great as well, by the way.

Sydney

The Maya, in terms of external design certainly puts all the Westfields here to shame with there boring facades

Stillearly

The taxi driver that picked me up from the Airport was excited about a new mall opening , because it had an ice skating rink :)

kaptainrob

Administrator
Stillearly;118561 said:
The taxi driver that picked me up from the Airport was excited about a new mall opening , because it had an ice skating rink :)
@Promenada ... young affluent Thai's may enjoy this new facility but I can't see it becoming a big money-spinner for retailers.

Cippy

Wow that last mall is sweet! I would go there. Last time I was in town I went to the movies and ended up circling quite a few times and that was before I made it to the parking!. 55

Moo Uaon

^ Airport Plaza? disaster zone on weekends and after 11am week days...best avoided IMO.

I think Promenada has a bowling alley too? Great location but appears unloved!

New Central Plaza has the numbers,and traffic outside,ATM and may do well.

Cippy

Not sure which Mall is was, sounds right. Wait . . . coming back to me now, yes.

I didn't get right in time have had to circle around, was a pain. But I take every opportunity to enjoy my old hobby of movie going when I can. We just got a Major Cineplex in the Big C in Muang Loei, all dubbed into Thai of course, no thanks, I would rather see a Thai movie with English Subs. That's how I ended up seeing Pee Mak in Udon.

Who ever those people are that have the Job of doing voice-overs of every movie to hit LOS must be doing quite well.

Norabunga

Had dinner tonight at Wine Connection Promenada. T'was very pleasant on the outdoor deck and the house red was quite drinkable at 100 baht/glass.

Chob

Cippy;118593 said:
Not sure which Mall is was, sounds right. Wait . . . coming back to me now, yes.

I didn't get right in time have had to circle around, was a pain. But I take every opportunity to enjoy my old hobby of movie going when I can. We just got a Major Cineplex in the Big C in Muang Loei, all dubbed into Thai of course, no thanks, I would rather see a Thai movie with English Subs. That's how I ended up seeing Pee Mak in Udon.

Who ever those people are that have the Job of doing voice-overs of every movie to hit LOS must be doing quite well.
I hear ya!
Its the same bloke all the time - using what must be a 'cool' Thai voice that I find ridiculous after a while.
Sometimes I think up a few sentences , turn down the volume and say them as the hero speaks in the movie.
Som and NE get to giggling when someone like Brad Pitt is cursing the Trojans and I flick down the volume and overdub him with-
" Hong narm! Yoo tin nai ? Dtong karn hong naam torn nee! Pai teow naan!"
( The toilet! Where is it ? I need the toilet now! This was a long trip!") in that stupid voice.
I cant stand that dubbing either.
Id rather Thai with subtitles - you can actually learn a bit of Thai.

kaptainrob

Administrator
Moo Uaon;118587 said:
^ Airport Plaza? disaster zone on weekends and after 11am week days...best avoided IMO.

I think Promenada has a bowling alley too? Great location but appears unloved!

New Central Plaza has the numbers,and traffic outside,ATM and may do well.
Airport Plaza better now that B&B construction finished and has extra parking outside if arriving late or on weekends.

We always get a prime park upstairs/undercover when going for lunch so long one gets in before say, 1115. After that, I think most Thai mall (covered) parking becomes a hassle regardless of location.

Maya is due to open January 23rd and maya resemble Pattaya Central on the inside with its air-bridge escalators.

Waiver: my sole interest in Malls is food-related, edible and eye-candy. :D

Moo Uaon

Big C extra on the Superhighway is light on crowds and very easy parking and a very quick trip home along the CR road or via Makro just down from there. Will be avoiding the new Central Festival as it`s been a total traffic nightmare since it opened,best avoided IMO.

Local markets here has a heap of fresh fruit and veggies and meat,GF prefers to avoid crowds too :)

kaptainrob

Administrator
Central Festival excitement has waned with Maya's opening and consequently, traffic congestion at Rincome is even worse than before. [I note they are now clearing land at the southern end of Nimmenhaemin for extending ring road and or re-alignment of that intersection]

Central Festival boasts a fabulous 'Waitrose' Supermarket, larger than HKT's, but oh boy, it is expensive! I can't imagine too many northern CM residents making Central their weekly grocery store! Rimping [MeeChok] eat's em!

CF's parking is extensive and the ~6 floors are well laid out and easy to navigate. Food courts are smaller than Airport Central and eye-candy not as good due to fewer local offices and no adjacent girls Business College 555 CF's main foodcourt is also noisy as it's adjacent the ice-skating rink [the first to open, well ahead of Promenada's] which is well patronised.

Restaurants are predominantly Jap buffet-style, one with all you can eat @ 299Bt + the usual MK, Black Canyon, KFC, Jeffers etc. A large WineConnection is adjacent the main pedestrian ground floor entry.

On the IT/electronics floor I was surprised to see a dedicated Fisher Paykel shop ... once an iconic NZ whitegoods manufacturer, now Chinese-owned and manufactured in Thailand.

Moo Uaon

It's tourist spot out near Pai.

There's some folklore that has some of my MB buddies have ridden along it.
Wouldn't attempt it myself as there's not much room for putting the foot down when the need arises *Cha Ching*