Chiang Rai Photo Thread

kaptainrob

Administrator

That looks more like basalt, ancient volcanic core material, hard as the hobs of hell ... ideal for road/kerb building. Much of Queensland's ancient ranges show eroded formations like this. eg: Glasshouse mountains.

One unique 'hill' overlooking Keppel Bay (and the marina), features the best preserved (non-eroded) basalt formation >

Ian Forbes

In British Columbia we have quite a few basalt lava formed columns. On a flat, forested plain they stand out like beacons. The rectangular columns are truly unique.

But, I didn't know that if they were ground up they would make a good road surface.

Chob

Rivo;409584 said:
Hot Springs just out of Chiang Rai yesterday.............................

Geez ... I wish someone had a told me about the 'HOT' springs !

Like I wasnt sweating all day every day in CR and needed to warm up...

Ian Forbes

Is that a man made pond, or a natural lake, Gavin? It looks like it has been nicely maintained.

When riding the secondary roads of Thailand I often see signs pointing to falls, hotsprings or caves, but when I ride out to explore them I'm a bit disappointed.... other than just enjoying the ride. However, occasionally I really do find a treasure of a place.

Rivo

Doi Mae Salong about 64km north of Chiang Rai, out towards the Burmese Border..........................

Ian Forbes

I first went to Doi Mae Salong with Pui, and in her brother's truck filled with people: 5 people in the cab and 3 teenagers out the back in the box. Pui's mother wanted to see the lovely gardens, so we spent an entire day traveling up the steep road and stopping at the many beautiful "tourist spots". They rent tents up there near the top where Thais can go to "experience" the cold.

I later took my son through the same area, but my son was not as interested in gardens as he was riding a motorbike in the mountains of Thailand.

Rivo

I was out exploring on the scooter yesterday....................only 30min from Chiang Rai city.....................

Rivo

Chob;413773 said:
What is it they are growing , Tea ?

Where are the hops ?

Yep they are growing Tea..........................Singha Park is huge and has all private roads, the grounds are immaculate, there is even a Zoo there, although I have not been