Cost of living

bacwaan

Well-known member
Plenty of cheaper places than Thailand where that sort of budget may just be liveable...Indo as Bacon said, the lesser known parts (non-tourist) of Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam spring to mind...could lead a simple but nice life in some of these joints if you are prepared to screw down on your budget/lifestyle...

It may be possible to get by out in Isaan or somewhere remote but that sort of income will not meet the current Thai Imm standards as they sit....so the rest is kinda moot unless there is a separate nest egg you can leave in your Thai Bank Account in perpetuity...
 

Bacon

Administrator
Just watch out for that Isaan isolation and heat if you decide on the place. It's been known to drive some bat sh*t crazy 55.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
bacwaan;404332 said:
Plenty of cheaper places than Thailand where that sort of budget may just be liveable...Indo as Bacon said, the lesser known parts (non-tourist) of Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam spring to mind...could lead a simple but nice life in some of these joints if you are prepared to screw down on your budget/lifestyle...

It may be possible to get by out in Isaan or somewhere remote but that sort of income will not meet the current Thai Imm standards as they sit....so the rest is kinda moot unless there is a separate nest egg you can leave in your Thai Bank Account in perpetuity...
The only thing is if you are an older guy you might need to worry about hospital care

We chatted about this before
The Canadian girl we met in Luang Prabang that lived there for a decade said the medical care is abysmal
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
^ very true.....for any sort of emergency.....medical being the obvious one

also changes in the X-Rate have really thrown many retirees into a spin here...what we were once getting for an $AUS has drastically reduced...1 million baht cost me approximately $AUS33K going back about 8-9 years ago..now 1 million baht is approximately $AUS45K...pounds and euros have similar-ish stories...that is gonna knock the crap outta anyone who is nailed down on their budget...
 

Ian Forbes

New member
I don't care where you choose to live, but you can count on one thing for certain... CHANGE!

Everywhere is subject to change. A couple of my Canadian friends thought Sihanoukville in Cambodia was ideal for them. That was true until the Chinese money launderers moved in with their casinos. Same with Pattaya and Jomptien prior to the Russians moving in and prices shooting up.
 

Quarky

Administrator
Ian Forbes;404359 said:
I don't care where you choose to live, but you can count on one thing for certain... CHANGE!

Everywhere is subject to change. A couple of my Canadian friends thought Sihanoukville in Cambodia was ideal for them. That was true until the Chinese money launderers moved in with their casinos. Same with Pattaya and Jomptien prior to the Russians moving in and prices shooting up.
What prices have shot up in Pattaya? I haven't noticed much difference in 15 years of going there... but then I don't live there, so maybe long term rent has gone up?
 

Mr. Smiley

Active member
Bacon;404335 said:
Just watch out for that Isaan isolation and heat if you decide on the place. It's been known to drive some bat sh*t crazy 55.
I don't know how that would be an issue. Thailand's on par with most G7 countries in terms of high speed internet. Even in the most remote areas can usually get a decent connection try saying that for Cambodia and Vietnam.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Mr. Smiley;404371 said:
I don't know how that would be an issue. Thailand's on par with most G7 countries in terms of high speed internet. Even in the most remote areas can usually get a decent connection try saying that for Cambodia and Vietnam.
Seven joke you that went over ya head 5555
 

wabbits

Active member
Mr. Smiley;404371 said:
I don't know how that would be an issue. Thailand's on par with most G7 countries in terms of high speed internet. Even in the most remote areas can usually get a decent connection try saying that for Cambodia and Vietnam.
Internet is super fast better than i get at home.
Food is cheap and there will be a 7 11 within cooee of most parts.
Other farangs seem to be there so western company is available.
Hot or heat might be to much for some we were 40c plus for a few days but still ok like a hot QLD summer.
We have no aircon.
Boredom would be the biggest thing so if up there you need something that will occupy your time that you enjoy.
Not trolling the internet.55555
i could do it no problem as i have things there i love to do and I tend not to get bored but it has been a few trips to get to this point initially a few short days and i was over it.
Attached files
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
wabbits;404377 said:
Internet is super fast better than i get at home.
Food is cheap and there will be a 7 11 within cooee of most parts.
Other farangs seem to be there so western company is available.
Hot or heat might be to much for some we were 40c plus for a few days but still ok like a hot QLD summer.
We have no aircon.
Boredom would be the biggest thing so if up there you need something that will occupy your time that you enjoy.
Not trolling the internet.55555
i could do it no problem as i have things there i love to do and I tend not to get bored but it has been a few trips to get to this point initially a few short days and i was over it.
I couldn't live in the village even though Ao's village is not too far from bigger cities, 15mins to one, 25 mins to another one

But like you I used to be able to do 2-3 days and out
But I could stay for weeks now if that is what we were doing

However I couldn't sit around a table with the same 5 people all day which is what my wife, family and friends do
 

Mr. Smiley

Active member
MarcTwoSix;404375 said:
Seven joke you that went over ya head 5555
Yeah, forgot about that guy, 5555

But also proves the point that even in the mid of nowhere isaan even the loons can still stay connected, 5555
 

wabbits

Active member
MarcTwoSix;404380 said:
I couldn't live in the village even though Ao's village is not too far from bigger cities, 15mins to one, 25 mins to another one

But like you I used to be able to do 2-3 days and out
But I could stay for weeks now if that is what we were doing

However I couldn't sit around a table with the same 5 people all day which is what my wife, family and friends do
I'm with you that would drive me nuts if you have no interests to keep you occupied it would become boring as.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
wabbits;404384 said:
I'm with you that would drive me nuts if you have no interests to keep you occupied it would become boring as.
Ao's village is only 2 hours from Bangkok
So I don't think it would ever happen

But I'd have no issue living in village as long as I had decent amount of trips to BKK

But just like in local Thai areas in BKK
The entertainment and nightlife(restaurants, bars, etc) have vastly improved where I'd be happy going out in Singburi and SuphanBuri
 

Ian Forbes

New member
I can spend a month or more alone if I have something to do to occupy my time, but eventually I have to go somewhere on the motorbike, or just do some grocery shopping. A couple of times a week I meet with friends for coffee for an hour. Having a big, broken down house to maintain keeps me busy.
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
Funny...a mate of mine just posted this on FB today...a Thai Cambio with X-Rates shown from 5 years ago today....as i said earlier in this thread just a few years before this $AUS was a 2-3 Baht better...and now its down around the 22.5 mark..last time I looked






 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
bacwaan;404456 said:
Funny...a mate of mine just posted this on FB today...a Thai Cambio with X-Rates shown from 5 years ago today....as i said earlier in this thread just a few years before this $AUS was a 2-3 Baht better...and now its down around the 22.5 mark..last time I looked


As you know I travel in the US a lot for work and also personally

When I got to Canada the FX was 1.18
Then it actually got down to .98, CAD was worth more than USD briefly
It is now around 1.35

When I head back East it us usually a week of business then a few days after to Boston or just a short holiday somewhere

And that sucks! A week of not giving a hit about the rate because work is paying to then it being my own buck after 5555
 

Bacon

Administrator
The Aussie dollar was worth slightly more than the Greeback at some point. By almost 5 cents? Or whatever it was. I found that absolutely ridiculous.

I don't like it, but the balance is more realistic now. The AUD is still overvalued though.
 

Notorius

New member
I am not sure if I posted this story but I keep going back to it and trying to work out how I can actually live it. I hate money and all the issues it brings. I would love to just move to an island and fish (for the love of fishing not for taste).

Main issue is my parents. I don't want to leave them. Also in my line of work there would be no going back. I am currently decluttering everything in my life escpecially friends (Paulie that's for you..your shameless comment was bang on).

But this has had the most profound effect on me. Hope ye like IT.

An American investment banker was at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The Mexican replied, “only a little while. The American then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs. The American then asked, “but what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.” The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15 – 20 years.”

“But what then?” Asked the Mexican.

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions!”

“Millions – then what?”

The American said, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

WHAT YOU THINK I DO NOW?

Very similar in Derek. This one made me cry.

https://youtu.be/VnStfUTcq7s
 

Notorius

New member
Ian Forbes;404799 said:
That is an oldie but goodie, Notorious. There are various versions of the same story.
I loved Ricky gervais (Derek) interpretation of it above. So pure. Money is very strange and the effect it has on people even more so. I have lost my entire group of friends (good riddance) because of it over 3 years. It disgusts me how someone can throw away something for a short term benefit. Very strange.

I have no real value in money. It comes and goes. If I can help someone I will do. For example I bought Santa for my friend and a lot more. There was an understanding that it would all come back from an inheritance and my friend did the legal work for free as a favour to me. When he told me it was in her account, I was blocked. The closest person I had. I made sure her kids had a Christmas, paid elec, loads more and the minute I wasn’t needed. Bang.

Now, I don’t really care. Good riddance. But fcucking hell, how can someone do that?
 
Top