Cost of living

Quarky

Administrator
Notorius;404800 said:
I loved Ricky gervais (Derek) interpretation of it above. So pure. Money is very strange and the effect it has on people even more so. I have lost my entire group of friends (good riddance) because of it over 3 years. It disgusts me how someone can throw away something for a short term benefit. Very strange.

I have no real value in money. It comes and goes. If I can help someone I will do. For example I bought Santa for my friend and a lot more. There was an understanding that it would all come back from an inheritance and my friend did the legal work for free as a favour to me. When he told me it was in her account, I was blocked. The closest person I had. I made sure her kids had a Christmas, paid elec, loads more and the minute I wasn’t needed. Bang.

Now, I don’t really care. Good riddance. But fcucking hell, how can someone do that?
But I don't understand why you would do that for someone who felt that way about you? Surely you'd know.... how long had you known them?

Ian Forbes

Quarky;404809 said:
But I don't understand why you would do that for someone who felt that way about you? Surely you'd know.... how long had you known them?
My older sister was much the same. So was my brother. I have almost nothing to do with them today, and we were very close as children.

Quarky

Administrator
Ian Forbes;404811 said:
My older sister was much the same. So was my brother. I have almost nothing to do with them today, and we were very close as children.
I can imagine it with family... cause you do dumb stuff for blood... but with friends... only your most trusted do you normally help in big ways like that...

Notorius

Quarky;404809 said:
I have posted before about my disregard for money. It always seems to come back so I don't worry about it. I'd give my last tanner to a guy on the street and actually did last week. I would do anything for friends especially when it's for the kids. I know it sounds stupid but it never bothers me. But broken trust does. And it cuts deep.

I got a text tonight saying how bad they feel and how haven't stopped crying. Blah blah blah.

OZZYGUY

Interesting readying back on this thread.

Trying to set up a monthly budget. Got the below so far what have I forgotten.
Internet, is included in my rent, no gardens.

(Two adults, two kids)

Fuel car6,500.00
Motor bike fuel650.00
Food shopping Big C, Macro etc15,000.00
Eating out lunch and dinner25,000.00
Phone's860.00
Water and power2,200.00
Kids sport4,800.00
Rent (3 bed unit)16,500.00
Red truck and Grab2,500.00
Car rent7,500.00
Motor bike rent2,000.00
Total Expenses83,510.00

Others may like to contribute here to build up a mini database that will be of use to new Members who come and reside in Thailand.

We are in Chiang Mai, renting a comfortable 2 bed/2bath 4 y/o house with full kitchen, aircon, carport and 10 mins from the city. It's in a mooban, or security estate with guards, rubbish collection (daily), and excellent street maintenance.

This months expenses include all food cooked & consumed at home - we only ate out 5 or 6 times for lunch.

Rent.................10,000
Mooban + water......800
Lawns...................300
Gas........................90
Electricity..............800
Truevision Gold....1,600
Internet 3BB..........540

Subtotal.............13,530

Food/groceries....13,000
Petrol....................800
Beer ...................2,200
Total.................29,530

We eat extremely well, loads of fresh greens, fruits, pork & chicken cuts mainly. We buy imported cereals, butter, olive oil and nz lamb or mussels as necessary.

We run fans most days and aircon in bedroom only at night. We have a gas cooktop, microwave + mini-oven and coffee machine which all get used daily.

The car is used ~ 3 times a week, otherwise it's a 5 minute scooter ride to do our shopping at Makro, markets, BigC and Rimping stores. If we did not have a Makro our grocery spend would be approx 25% more!

Moo Uaon

(Two adults, two kids)

Fuel car6,500.00
Motor bike fuel650.00
Phone's860.00
Water and power2,200.00
Kids sport4,800.00
Car rent7,500.00
Motor bike rent2,000.00
Total Expenses83,510.00
Life & medical insurance
Cable TV (True Visions etc)
Flights & hotels
Medical
Tips,incidentals and donations etc

OZZYGUY

Life & medical insurance
Cable TV (True Visions etc)
Flights & hotels
Medical
Tips,incidentals and donations etc
Will add insurance thanks.

True Vision comes with the house rent.

I don't tip or donate I'm a cheap Charlie....55

MarcTwoSix

(Two adults, two kids)

Fuel car6,500.00
Motor bike fuel650.00
Phone's860.00
Water and power2,200.00
Kids sport4,800.00
Car rent7,500.00
Motor bike rent2,000.00
Total Expenses83,510.00
How long will you be there?

And it is a unique budget for here because not many BM's had kids or teenagers to factor in

Nomad

Seems very light on in terms of the costs of having kids (data, food, transport, schooling, tutoring), and also enjoying the benefits of your location (e.g. travel) and its lower costs (e.g. gym, massage, hired help so you can travel without the kids).

OZZYGUY

Seems very light on in terms of the costs of having kids (data, food, transport, schooling, tutoring), and also enjoying the benefits of your location (e.g. travel) and its lower costs (e.g. gym, massage, hired help so you can travel without the kids).
Most of our meals so far are 220 - 350b for a meal for all 4 of us.

Didn't allow for school as it is currently pre paid 12 months home school, if we stay longer than 3 month's we may enroll at a international school and are going to a education fair next Sat to get info on the schools available.

Our location is good, house came with two bikes so wife rides to the market and we walk a fair bit.

My original thinking was about 100,000 a month ($1000au a week) excluding international school.

Haven't done a house budget in years was interested to see what it accuracy cost us to live in Thailand and then when/ if we get to Phils see what it's like.

The true result will be after a month or two.

sidvicious

(Two adults, two kids)

Fuel car6,500.00
Motor bike fuel650.00
Phone's860.00
Water and power2,200.00
Kids sport4,800.00
Car rent7,500.00
Motor bike rent2,000.00