Cuba TR

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
As I get older I find I really enjoy the last couple days of my holiday the best
The excitedly is gone and you've seen a lot of what you wanted to see and do.
So you don't feel you need to do anything much.
I had a few museums and attractions I wanted to hit but wasn't going to bust my ass to go see them unless I really wanted to

My last day I am going to hang at the pool a fair bit, try the Sloppy Joe I mentioned above for lunch, might visit the Capilito Building, get a massage and have, hopefully, another great dinner.
I'm tempted to go back to the same place as last night
I might try an appetizer at one place I haven't been and if good eat there but if not bail and go back to Antojos.

The lobby bar in my hotel is pretty lively so even just hanging there is an option.

I have a decent amount of Cuban pesos I won't be able to change so I will be spending freely today!

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Costs in Cuba

This may help anyone that might be interested in visiting.

I will put them in Thai Baht since that's everyone's common currency here

Beer in a bar..... 48 to 60baht

Street food.....from 5 to 15 baht(not close to as good as Thailand)

Massage at 5 star hotel....850baht/hour

Meal at good restaurant.....my meal of 2 appetizers and an entree which could have fed 2 easy came to 480baht for the food only
Very cheap for the quality of food

5 star hotel in prime location.....5k baht/nt

Taxis
Local 330baht per trip. They won't go for less
Long distance.....shared taxi 4hrs 1000baht
Solo taxi 2.5 hours 3k baht

Tourist attractions(museums) 250-330baht

Bar entry.....330baht that gives you 4 drink tickets

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
 

Quarky

Administrator
How safe did you feel wandering around.. compared to say Mexico, Colombia or Thailand?

Also.. did it rain only at night? Looks wet in a lot of night time photos...
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Quarky;410395 said:
How safe did you feel wandering around.. compared to say Mexico, Colombia or Thailand?

Also.. did it rain only at night? Looks wet in a lot of night time photos...
I felt safer in Cuba than any country I ever visited
But I also had read up beforehand that it is an extremely safe country.
The police really go after pretty crimes like robbery and muggings so no one does it too much

It rained for about 2hrs one night in Trinidad and about 2hrs last night in Havana

And that's all the rain I got in 10 days
Apparently it rained a bunch the week before I got here

So just lucky with the weather
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Sunday in Cuba

As I noted before I wasn't sure if I wanted to go back to Havana for the last 2 days of my trip that I had left open.
But man am I happy I did!
As travelers I think when you fall in love with a new city it's of the more incredible things you can experience.
And I certainly fell in love with Havana the last 2 days
But the last day, a Sunday was the best.


It seems people start partying a bit on Saturdays, not as many people working and it doesn't seem as much as a grind.

But Sundays in Havana seem pretty special. There is no grind at all that is very much in your face on the weekdays.
But Sunday the city seems to grind to a halt and you appreciate the buildings and structures even more.
I went up to the rooftop pool at 4pm but heard the loudest Latin music I heard all trip. And that's saying something!
It was a full on concert in the plaza. I counted about 5 singers and 15-20 people playing instruments.
So I popped down and sat at 2nd floor restaurant watching it all.
The scene was incredible.
Forget about how awesome the music was, the crowd was incredible.
Cubans would just walk by and jump in and dance two songs and then go on thier way.
Awkward tourists trying to dance would be joined by Cubans just wanting to teach them the salsa or mambo.
Then, when it was over....the band that had about 600 people watch them just all walked away on their own.
The lead singer was just done singing to 600 people and started walking home. Would get stopped to tell her she was great and she'd give the people a kiss on the cheek and keep walking home.

The stillness of the city on Sundays makes it seems like the cars that are driving down these huge thoroughfares are going 3mph.

I've never been to Paris but from videos it seemed like it was Paris in the 50's....only in the Caribeean

I waffled a bit but Havana is the best city I've ever visited. I didn't want the newness to prejudice me.
But just the history, the people and the buildings are just most fascinating city I've ever been to.

PS....I've been putting on a steady buzz since 11am and it's approaching 10pm
So I may hate this city on my next post 555

Last pic is the Bicardi building


Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Bacon;410334 said:
This thread needs pics of Cuban girls, otherwise it's enticed me enough to see what the flight situation might be like. 35 hours from here 55.

It honestly looks like the paradise I've been searching for though. I do realise there's abject poverty and horrible shit there too, but on the whole they seem to have benefited from the isolation imposed on them in many ways.

Enjoy my man.
Coming back to the poverty aspect

Last night I went to an amazing restaurant and knew I ordered way too much food but wanted to try a few things
It's cheap and figured I would give it to a street dog on my walk home
There isn't a ton of street dogs by my hotel so didn't find any

So I kept the leftovers and left my hotel today looking for a dog to give it to
I found one that looked hungry but he only wanted to shredded pork not the plantains and croquettes

As I was feeding him this well dressed Cuban guy was sitting by and smiling.
It was genuine and he seemed happy I was feeding the dog

I didn't want to leave the container on the street so started to walk away and he asked if he could have the rest

Of course he could and I told him I didn't think he'd want any of it

But can you imagine a lot of places where a guy seems to need to the food and would sit their smiling while you fed a dog in front of him??
 

Quarky

Administrator
Feeling like Back to the Future... have you seen a crazy scientist guy at all? Doc... I've been transported back to the 1950s... no internet, everyone is nice to each other... and everyone is happy...

So much for me thinking Cuba was a depressed communist state...
 

Dupree

Well-known member
Quarky;410487 said:
Feeling like Back to the Future... have you seen a crazy scientist guy at all? Doc... I've been transported back to the 1950s... no internet, everyone is nice to each other... and everyone is happy...

So much for me thinking Cuba was a depressed communist state...
What are their options? Be nice to each other or commit suicide? They've been brainwashed from birth to be thankful for their mere existence. Maybe there is something to the theory. Where there is no hope to excel there is no unnecessary anguish from being stagnant. The Communist selling point.
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Dupree;410499 said:
What are their options? Be nice to each other or commit suicide? They've been brainwashed from birth to be thankful for their mere existence. Maybe there is something to the theory. Where there is no hope to excel there is no unnecessary anguish from being stagnant. The Communist selling point.
My theory was they are all on the same level so there is no jealousy

I don't know but I didn't see a scowl once in 10 days

One other thing is they all live out in the open
Either all sitting on their stoops or you walk by their places and you are seeing right through their windows into their living room

I also never saw people greet each other so warmly
They all hug and kiss
Even the younger kids like teenagers
 

Quarky

Administrator
Dupree;410499 said:
What are their options? Be nice to each other or commit suicide? They've been brainwashed from birth to be thankful for their mere existence. Maybe there is something to the theory. Where there is no hope to excel there is no unnecessary anguish from being stagnant. The Communist selling point.
And they probably think we've been brainwashed to constantly be at each other's throats.. trust no one... self preservation... survival of the smartest... competition stimulates advancement etc...

My theory was they are all on the same level so there is no jealousy
Isn't that the underpinning of Marxism?
 

Dupree

Well-known member
Quarky;410502 said:
And they probably think we've been brainwashed to constantly be at each other's throats.. trust no one... self preservation... survival of the smartest... competition stimulates advancement etc...



Isn't that the underpinning of Marxism?
Why would they think that? Is that what they teach them in school? Or is that you projecting your views onto them?
 

Dupree

Well-known member
MarcTwoSix;410500 said:
My theory was they are all on the same level so there is no jealousy

I don't know but I didn't see a scowl once in 10 days

One other thing is they all live out in the open
Either all sitting on their stoops or you walk by their places and you are seeing right through their windows into their living room

I also never saw people greet each other so warmly
They all hug and kiss
Even the younger kids like teenagers
Don't forget the Big Brother is Watching aspect.
 

Quarky

Administrator
Dupree;410508 said:
Why would they think that? Is that what they teach them in school? Or is that you projecting your views onto them?
Well you said they have been brainwashed from birth to be thankful for their mere existence... so I am projecting what that same mentality might think of the outside world... then again that Cabello girl mustn't have been happy with her lot... so maybe they aren't all brainwashed at all?

Paulie have you spoken to any locals about how they see the outside world?
 

Stillearly

Well-known member
Quarky;410512 said:
Well you said they have been brainwashed from birth to be thankful for their mere existence... so I am projecting what that same mentality might think of the outside world... then again that Cabello girl mustn't have been happy with her lot... so maybe they aren't all brainwashed at all?

Paulie have you spoken to any locals about how they see the outside world?
Camila Cabello was a small child when she left , probably doesn't remember much about it apart from what family have told her
 

Dupree

Well-known member
Quarky;410512 said:
Well you said they have been brainwashed from birth to be thankful for their mere existence... so I am projecting what that same mentality might think of the outside world... then again that Cabello girl mustn't have been happy with her lot... so maybe they aren't all brainwashed at all?

Paulie have you spoken to any locals about how they see the outside world?
I guess i should have worded it as "Maybe". But I think it's a good possibility. We're talking about the children of children born into this.
 

Quarky

Administrator
Stillearly;410513 said:
Camila Cabello was a small child when she left , probably doesn't remember much about it apart from what family have told her
Gloria Estefan?
 

Ian Forbes

New member
MarcTwoSix;410500 said:
My theory was they are all on the same level so there is no jealousy

I don't know but I didn't see a scowl once in 10 days

One other thing is they all live out in the open
Either all sitting on their stoops or you walk by their places and you are seeing right through their windows into their living room

I also never saw people greet each other so warmly
They all hug and kiss
Even the younger kids like teenagers
I can see some similarities to New Zealand in the 1960s. Everyone made pretty close to the same income. There was not the huge discrepancy like there is today. A construction worker or laborer earned about 3/4 of what a doctor or lawyer made. There weren't any homeless people and everyone shared what they had. And, everyone was happy and friendly with strangers. I can't count all the hospitable people I met on my month long journey around both north and south island.
 

Quarky

Administrator
Ian Forbes;410519 said:
I can see some similarities to New Zealand in the 1960s. Everyone made pretty close to the same income. There was not the huge discrepancy like there is today. A construction worker or laborer earned about 3/4 of what a doctor or lawyer made. There weren't any homeless people and everyone shared what they had. And, everyone was happy and friendly with strangers. I can't count all the hospitable people I met on my month long journey around both north and south island.
My dad often talked about the unusual classless society in NZ when I was a kid.
 
Top