Cuba TR

MarcTwoSix

This talk made me forget I forgot something

So the all-inclusive resort had an outdoor stage that they had shows on most nights

They were decorating it one day with all sorts of Cuban paraphernalia
Flags everywhere, all their colors
So people asked what the show was going to be and the staff at the hotel was a bit evasive, in a way
Saying it was a show "for the staff"

Then they said it was show for the staff because the hotel won an award

Once the show started it was a bit weird
It was almost like the Govt was forcing the award on them to give a propaganda show and the employees were forced to attend and wave their flags

Oh and they interviewed one of my couple friends
Asking them how they felt about Trump 5555

MarcTwoSix

Dupree;410509 said:
Don't forget the Big Brother is Watching aspect.
They are and the police is always present walking around

But I was thinking
Vancouver, and most cities, would have a lot less assholes if cops still walked a beat
Now they drive by everything in a car

MarcTwoSix

One thing that has got me real curious about Havana
I don't understand how or why all the buildings are so majestic.
I mean walk down a regular side street in just Central Havana, not even Old Havana and almost every apartment building is incredible.
Who lived in all these gorgeous apartments??

I can't imagine it was 100's of thousands Spaniards living in all these

I am going to do some research on that
It honestly doesn't make any sense to me

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

MarcTwoSix

Last thoughts on Cuba

I really think anyone who can get there relatively easy should go.
It's an amazing place and some of the nicest beaches in the world.
So you get all this history in Havana but can also have a great beach holiday
Hard to match that combo.

I've said enough about Havana but the place blew me away.
I could see myself shooting down there for 3 day weekends when I'm in NYC
Especially since I can hit a very nice beach just 25mins away from Havana and still enjoy Havana at night

-I never mentioned this but they still legit use horse and buggies all over Cuba as a mode of transportation
-I never looked into if the old mob hotels are around. I should have done that.

I don't have much else
Just a few more pics.
I've never taken so many pictures on a vacation before

Oh if anyone is ever going to visit
Watch the documentary The Cuba Libre Story on Netflix
It is a great breakdown of it's history

Pic # 8 is the Bicardi building

Ian Forbes

Thanks for the travel report and all the photos. Apart from the classic old buildings, what struck me most about the photos was the lack of traffic.

MarcTwoSix

Ian Forbes;410571 said:
Thanks for the travel report and all the photos. Apart from the classic old buildings, what struck me most about the photos was the lack of traffic.
Those last pics was on a Sunday when traffic is about 10% of what it is on a weekend
Plenty of traffic but not overloaded

But I found Sunday in the middle of Havana, extremely peaceful with how much it slowed down
Or could have been the 9 beers I had by 3pm 5555

Ian Forbes

MarcTwoSix;410573 said:
Those last pics was on a Sunday when traffic is about 10% of what it is on a weekend
Plenty of traffic but not overloaded

But I found Sunday in the middle of Havana, extremely peaceful with how much it slowed down
Or could have been the 9 beers I had by 3pm 5555
But not anything like Vancouver, Victoria, Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

Rockitt

Thanks for the trip report. It looks like a very interesting place to visit. Great photographs of the old buildings and cars. And it’s nice to know that it’s a safe, friendly place to stay. Cheers.

Quarky

Administrator
MarcTwoSix;410567 said:
One thing that has got me real curious about Havana
I don't understand how or why all the buildings are so majestic.
I mean walk down a regular side street in just Central Havana, not even Old Havana and almost every apartment building is incredible.
Who lived in all these gorgeous apartments??

I can't imagine it was 100's of thousands Spaniards living in all these

I am going to do some research on that
It honestly doesn't make any sense to me

Before Castro - may explain it?

But your pics remind me of many old Eastern European cities. Formerly communist... yet they had many opulent buildings. eg in Romania a small university city has a palace like this... and the streets weren't dissimilar to your pics of Havana...

MarcTwoSix

Quarky;410590 said:
Before Castro - may explain it?

But your pics remind me of many old Eastern European cities. Formerly communist... yet they had many opulent buildings. eg in Romania a small university city has a palace like this... and the streets weren't dissimilar to your pics of Havana...

I know all that
But the sheer # of gorgeous buildings doesn't seem to line up with the # of people who could afford them

Rivo

Ive just caught up with all the pics Marc26 and had a look on my home computer, been looking on my phone until now, some great photos and alot different than I imagined Cuba to look like, not that Ive ever researched the place.....................what made you decide to go there in the first place ?

MarcTwoSix

Rivo;410602 said:
Ive just caught up with all the pics Marc26 and had a look on my home computer, been looking on my phone until now, some great photos and alot different than I imagined Cuba to look like, not that Ive ever researched the place.....................what made you decide to go there in the first place ?
I wanted to go there because of the history behind the place and the architecture plus add in some very nice beach time
And it blew away my expectations

It's still a place that not a ton of people visit
And a lot that do stay in the all-inclusive resorts and never leave

I'd say 75% of tourists in Cuba are from Spanish speaking countries

MarcTwoSix

Quarky;410607 said:
So the influx of firstly Spanish, then French colonialists and then later massive American investment... all preceding the revolution... may not be why there are so many buildings? A lot of wealthy people used to live there it seems... and the buildings are their legacy?
I know all that and the Spanish are definitely responsible for all the buildings

But I think you have to go their to understand what I am talking

I mean pretty much every apartment building not just major buildings

I guess I should research how many Spaniards lived there at the height of their colonization

But the sheer # of gorgeous apartment buildings just doesn't seem to vibe with the # of people who would be able to afford them

TLandHim

MarcTwoSix;410597 said:
I know all that
But the sheer # of gorgeous buildings doesn't seem to line up with the # of people who could afford them
Great photos Marc26 and glad you enjoyed it.

The splendour of the architecture and the magnificent houses with their internal courtyards with stables and etc just blew us away.

Did a bit of research as to why the magnificence and wealth in pre Castro Cuba.
Cuba had slavery still up till 1886 and was the largest sugar producer right up until the 1960's.
It generated huge wealth for a very few.

It is obvious there was a huge disparity in wealth distribution and not much of a middle class as per Europe, USA etc and the houses seem to show that.

We did very little of the govt controlled tour stuff and walked a lot of the streets of old Havana. Very enlightening.

TLandHim

One question I have.

Havana has 2.1 million people yet few of your photos have lots of people in.
My photos are the same. Very few locals.
Where do the majority of the 2.1m live?

Quarky

Administrator
TLandHim;410620 said:
Great photos Marc26 and glad you enjoyed it.

The splendour of the architecture and the magnificent houses with their internal courtyards with stables and etc just blew us away.

Did a bit of research as to why the magnificence and wealth in pre Castro Cuba.
Cuba had slavery still up till 1886 and was the largest sugar producer right up until the 1960's.
It generated huge wealth for a very few.

It is obvious there was a huge disparity in wealth distribution and not much of a middle class as per Europe, USA etc and the houses seem to show that.

We did very little of the govt controlled tour stuff and walked a lot of the streets of old Havana. Very enlightening.
Yet you didn't seem to like the place much?

Every democrat should go to Cuba to see how communism screws a lovely people and country.

Worst country we have been to. It was 2005 admittedly, but people too scared to talk to us. Much much worse than Vietnam in late 80's.

Walk around Havana, not just the tourist crap, go to what's left of shops, see whats on sale, compare the prices with what locals are paid.

MarcTwoSix

TLandHim;410621 said:
One question I have.

Havana has 2.1 million people yet few of your photos have lots of people in.
My photos are the same. Very few locals.
Where do the majority of the 2.1m live?
Really? what I actually liked about Havana is the locals lived right in the middle of everything..........I guess I just didn't capture that in my photos

I initially booked the 1st 3 days in Central Havana because people on internet said Old Havana was too touristy
But I found it was extremely local

Every side street is where all the locals lived and were all out in front of their houses

Dupree

MarcTwoSix;410627 said:
Really? what I actually liked about Havana is the locals lived right in the middle of everything..........I guess I just didn't capture that in my photos

I initially booked the 1st 3 days in Central Havana because people on internet said Old Havana was too touristy
But I found it was extremely local

Every side street is where all the locals lived and were all out in front of their houses
We call them slums in the US. 5555