Cuba TR

Dupree

Well-known member
MarcTwoSix;410631 said:
I know I grew up in one and we lived on the front porch in the summers

Loved it!
Then you can relate to the happy poor people you were baffled by...55
 

TLandHim

New member
Quarky;410626 said:
Yet you didn't seem to like the place much?
The fear and listlessness of many of the locals was very evident. Castro was on one of his periodic purges. Don't forget his secret police were trained by the East German Stasi
who had 1 in 6 of the population giving information on friends, family and neighbours. Very obvious surveillance of us as tourists.

Contrast that with the cheerfulness and vibrancy of Sri Lankan people who were in the middle of a civil war, the feeling in Cambodia and the full on drive and optimism in Vietnam at the same time. And Vietnam had a communist govt too.

Cuba has everything going for it, the architecture is stunning, the weather better than Thailand, it is close to huge potential pool of tourists but has the elite in charge who put political dogma before the interests of its citizens.

Will it ever change?
 

Ian Forbes

New member
TLandHim;410675 said:
The fear and listlessness of many of the locals was very evident. Castro was on one of his periodic purges. Don't forget his secret police were trained by the East German Stasi
who had 1 in 6 of the population giving information on friends, family and neighbours. Very obvious surveillance of us as tourists.

Contrast that with the cheerfulness and vibrancy of Sri Lankan people who were in the middle of a civil war, the feeling in Cambodia and the full on drive and optimism in Vietnam at the same time. And Vietnam had a communist govt too.

Cuba has everything going for it, the architecture is stunning, the weather better than Thailand, it is close to huge potential pool of tourists but has the elite in charge who put political dogma before the interests of its citizens.

Will it ever change?
Canada has a dictatorship as well. The only difference is we can vote them out of power every 4 years or so and vote in a different dictator. 555
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
TLandHim;410675 said:
The fear and listlessness of many of the locals was very evident. Castro was on one of his periodic purges. Don't forget his secret police were trained by the East German Stasi
who had 1 in 6 of the population giving information on friends, family and neighbours. Very obvious surveillance of us as tourists.

Contrast that with the cheerfulness and vibrancy of Sri Lankan people who were in the middle of a civil war, the feeling in Cambodia and the full on drive and optimism in Vietnam at the same time. And Vietnam had a communist govt too.

Cuba has everything going for it, the architecture is stunning, the weather better than Thailand, it is close to huge potential pool of tourists but has the elite in charge who put political dogma before the interests of its citizens.

Will it ever change?
I think it has changed from when you were there in 2005, vastly I would think

People are allowed to rent their apartment and rooms out in their houses I believe just in the last 5 years or so
I don't think any of those great restaurants I went to would have been allowed to be running in 2005

So every restaurant would have been govt run

They now have internet wifi in parks and I think are getting it in their homes and phones in just a few months

So your assessment in 2005 was probably pretty spot on but I'd be interested to see if you think all those changes have made a difference

There is still a lot of things that are questionable
The lack of food in a lot of places with what seems so much fertile land. I don't understand that
 

Dupree

Well-known member
TLandHim;410675 said:
The fear and listlessness of many of the locals was very evident. Castro was on one of his periodic purges. Don't forget his secret police were trained by the East German Stasi
who had 1 in 6 of the population giving information on friends, family and neighbours. Very obvious surveillance of us as tourists.

Contrast that with the cheerfulness and vibrancy of Sri Lankan people who were in the middle of a civil war, the feeling in Cambodia and the full on drive and optimism in Vietnam at the same time. And Vietnam had a communist govt too.

Cuba has everything going for it, the architecture is stunning, the weather better than Thailand, it is close to huge potential pool of tourists but has the elite in charge who put political dogma before the interests of its citizens.

Will it ever change?
In March 2016, Barack Obama became the first U.S. President to visit Cuba since 1928. On December 17, 2014, U.S. President Barack Obama and Cuban President Raúl Castro announced the beginning of a process of normalizing relations between Cuba and the United States.

Donald Trump began his presidency promising to negotiate a “better deal” from Havana, or else he would “terminate” the opening to Cuba (Heavey S. and S. Marsh, 2016). But he faced an impressive array of stakeholders both at home and abroad determined to resist any backsliding. The result, announced on June 16, 2017, was a policy composed of a few new economic sanctions tightening the embargo cloaked in fiery rhetoric reminiscent of the Cold War, but leaving most of Obama’s initiatives untouched.
Funny how Trump supporters don't know much about his policies...;comfort;
 

TLandHim

New member
Dupree;410731 said:
In March 2016, Barack Obama became the first U.S. President to visit Cuba since 1928. On December 17, 2014, U.S. President Barack Obama and Cuban President Raúl Castro announced the beginning of a process of normalizing relations between Cuba and the United States.



Funny how Trump supporters don't know much about his policies...;comfort;
So you support Maduro, another nominal communist dictator looting Venezuela exactly the same as Ceaucescu looted Romania?
Cuba's secret police also trained Maduro's thugs in the same East German Stasi methods.

Trump imposed/re-imposed sanctions on Cuba to stop Cuba supporting Maduro and his murderous tactics

How many Venezuelan refugees can you fit in your house? Colombia has a million or so for you to choose from.

Pretty good policy to me.
Certainly cheaper than Reagan's invasion of Grenada and no risk of American lives being lost.
 

TLandHim

New member
MarcTwoSix;410714 I think it has changed from when you were there in 2005 said:
Definitely and believe me, it could only be for the good. Mind you everywhere has changed, look at Phuket[/B]

People are allowed to rent their apartment and rooms out in their houses I believe just in the last 5 years or so

I don't think any of those great restaurants I went to would have been allowed to be running in 2005
Unlikely, they were used to feeding Russian advisors then and few tourists except for Varadero and Havana

So every restaurant would have been govt run
Yes

They now have internet wifi in parks and I think are getting it in their homes and phones in just a few months
I think the phones were all old style and it was accepted that all hotel lines were listened to

So your assessment in 2005 was probably pretty spot on but I'd be interested to see if you think all those changes have made a difference
I certainly hope so, the Cuban people deserve so much better than what Castro and Guevera unleashed on them

There is still a lot of things that are questionable
The lack of food in a lot of places with what seems so much fertile land. I don't understand that
Isn't that crazy, did any one explain the monthly food parcel system to every family to you?


I thought it could only get better, but I thought that about Libya, Syria and all those wonderful African countries
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
TLandHim;410765 said:
So you support Maduro, another nominal communist dictator looting Venezuela exactly the same as Ceaucescu looted Romania?
Cuba's secret police also trained Maduro's thugs in the same East German Stasi methods.

Trump imposed/re-imposed sanctions on Cuba to stop Cuba supporting Maduro and his murderous tactics

How many Venezuelan refugees can you fit in your house? Colombia has a million or so for you to choose from.

Pretty good policy to me.
Certainly cheaper than Reagan's invasion of Grenada and no risk of American lives being lost.
Well except for the fact that is not why Trump imposed those sanctions and slight reversal on Americans visiting Cuba in 2017

He imposed new rules because of Venezuela just recently

In 2017 it was basically his quest to negate most of what Obama has done

But getting away from politics in this thread I don't doubt your account in 2005 to be true
I would assume it was a very different place back then
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
Last random pics of Cuba

1st 3 pics are all Hemingway places

Some street food as well
The ham and cheese was great for a morning treat
The pizza, all the Cubans eat....was horrible

Both around 15baht



Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
 

kaptainrob

Administrator


Is that the original Cuban (traditional) fare morphed by Cuban exiles into something like the image below or just an cheap sandwich?

 

bacwaan

Well-known member
^ its funny..I have had plenty of those "Cubano" grilled sandwiches in Miami where they are like a "state sanctioned" sandwich and also in the latino neighbourhoods of NYC..but I never saw one like that in my time in Havana...or anywhere else in Cuba...
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
BTW..nice pics and observations Paulie....enjoyed the TR..bought back plenty of fond memories
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
bacwaan;410974 said:
^ its funny..I have had plenty of those "Cubano" grilled sandwiches in Miami where they are like a "state sanctioned" sandwich and also in the latino neighbourhoods of NYC..but I never saw one like that in my time in Havana...or anywhere else in Cuba...
Cuban sandwiches were invented in Miami
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
kaptainrob;410973 said:


Is that the original Cuban (traditional) fare morphed by Cuban exiles into something like the image below or just an cheap sandwich?

I guess could be.............it is quite possible

The sandwich and shake were great(about 20baht all in)
The guy works out of a window, you go up and he makes you a mango shake and the sandwich
You eat and drink right by the window then hand him back your dish and glass 5555

The pizza windows get long lines
No wonder the girls in school uniforms are cute( I figured out I could look at the ones in blue(uni) but not the ones in light brown(HS) 5555) but they pork up properly soon after!
 
Top