Cultural differences

MarcTwoSix

Maybe Quarky will learn something 5555
(I probably will too! 😀 )

Tonight was a good example

At Ao's co-workers for Canadian Thanksgiving

About 12 Thais and me and the co-workers Canadian husband

The husband's Mom and Dad say they are coming over, which they didn't know they were stopping by

When the parents and sister get there
Everyone says hello and then, bam all the Thais are up against the far wall on the floor and the farang are sitting on the sofa on other side of the room

If you looked at the room, you may think the Thais are being anti-social

But they are really showing deference to the "farang" and making sure they have plenty of room to be comfortable

I found it quite funny( and rather endearing)
But if you didn't understood the culture, I could see someone thinking they were being rude

Quarky

Administrator
Or you could say the farangs are rude for sitting on the sofas.. and not mixing with the Thais on the floor... 55

do ron

Sharing meals in a restaurant .

Normally when i get to a restaurant at home I order a starter & mains for myself and a coffee as a digestif .

In Thailand everyone orders their preferred dish , plonk it all in the middle of the table and share out willing fully . Takes a while to get used to , plenty of other cultures practice this i believe - Mediterranean's , eastern European's .

OZZYGUY

In Thailand everyone orders their preferred dish , plonk it all in the middle of the table and share out willing fully . Takes a while to get used to , plenty of other cultures practice this i believe - Mediterranean's , eastern European's .
We do that, have done for years. Its a better way IMO

PeteGill

Normally when i get to a restaurant at home I order a starter & mains for myself and a coffee as a digestif .

Happens in Africa too.
I personalty love it, especially in Thailand. You get to sample stuff that you may not order yourself. Those big BBQ places can make for a very enjoyable mealtime.

MarcTwoSix

In North America it's pretty common that we order appetizers for the table for everyone to share then we all have our individual entrees

Then usually share desserts as well

MarcTwoSix

Also depends on what type of food you are eating

In US we eat a lot of Italian meals "family style " where we all share everything

And Chinese food is very popular as takeout food and that is always all shared as well

do ron

Happens in Africa too.
I personalty love it, especially in Thailand. You get to sample stuff that you may not order yourself. Those big BBQ places can make for a very enjoyable mealtime.
If i was having saying a Sunday Roast at parents . The meat be it chicken or beef would be divided out on individual plates and the veg would be a help your self in the middle of the table affair but not in a restaurant - you might ask someone if they would like to taste your starters etc .

I did hit those MK chain restaurants in Thailand quite a bit , they boil all the ingredients on the sort of Urn devise and then every one helps themselves . I think that's one of the reasons Asians use chopstick's - bit more Hygienic than wadding a desert spoon that had previously been in your mouth into shared food .

Last edited:

Bacon

Administrator
I think the middle ground is topping up your own plate with seperate utensils from all the dishes in the middle. Not a big fan of sharing germs, even with chopsticks. They're only slightly more hygienic.

MarcTwoSix

If i was having saying a Sunday Roast at parents . The meat be it chicken or beef would be divided out on individual plates and the veg would be a help your self in the middle of the table affair but not in a restaurant - you might ask someone if they would like to taste your starters etc .

I did hit those MK chain restaurants in Thailand quite a bit , they boil all the ingredients on the sort of Urn devise and then every one helps themselves . I think that's one of the reasons Asians use chopstick's - bit more Hygienic than wadding a desert spoon that had previously been in your mouth into shared food .
Sunday roast for us would be everything in the middle of the table
The maet/chicken halfway sliced and people take what they want, then if want more, my mom would cut more for ya

do ron

Don't think its a Thai trait per se as I'm sure I've noticed it on Filipina's too .

There is even a term for it in Thai ' Tote Muuk ' literally translates into ink arse , its used to describe when the skin around the bum is a darker shade than the rest of the body .

God I've a naughty mind in a Wednesday morning 👺

Nomad

Don't think its a Thai trait per se as I'm sure I've noticed it on Filipina's too .

There is even a term for it in Thai ' Tote Muuk ' literally translates into ink arse , its used to describe when the skin around the bum is a darker shade than the rest of the body .

God I've a naughty mind in a Wednesday morning 👺
Not sure how this relates to cultural differences, hygiene or Sunday lunch. Perhaps thinking about where you are dipping your utensil. 555 However, I have learnt a new word which is bound to get me into trouble.

do ron

Not sure how this relates to cultural differences, hygiene or Sunday lunch. Perhaps thinking about where you are dipping your utensil. 555 However, I have learnt a new word which is bound to get me into trouble.
555 yes slightly off piste .

I've never seen any Farang Poo ying with ' Tote Muuk ' so assumed that as the Cultural difference

MarcTwoSix

God I've a naughty mind in a Wednesday morning 
She will kill me

But my wife is a bit lighter than your average Thai

But her ass is brown!
It really is a bit of weird phenomenon
She works at staying out of the sun and it works because she is pretty fair skinned

Yet the one part of her body that doesn't ever see the sun stays Brown!

I tease her all the time about her "brown bum" 555

do ron

She will kill me

But my wife is a bit lighter than your average Thai

But her ass is brown!
It really is a bit of weird phenomenon
She works at staying out of the sun and it works because she is pretty fair skinned

Yet the one part of her body that doesn't ever see the sun stays Brown!

I tease her all the time about her "brown bum" 555
I think alot of Thai's are born with it and it dissipates for most over the years / decades .