Demise of Entertainment Venues after Covid

bacwaan

I am just wondering what is going to happen with many of the entertainment venues around the country if we can ever get back to some semblance of normal again..."Entertainment after Covid'....what's it gonna look like

I was very sad to see that La Scala in BKK has closed its doors to showing films as it can no longer make a go of it..its going to become just another venue for hire now...I used to love that seeing films in that joint...it is a real beauty

I imagine lots of joints are going to be in the same boat...I see and have heard of loads of restaurants/bars/clubs here on Samui, particularly in Lamai and Chaweng where the owner/operators have just walked away and gone back to their home countries...a couple of suicides in with that lot as well...I just don't see enough biz going around to sustain the industry as it is now here..and whatever laws/restrictions that will be placed on them in order to reopen

other tourist ventures like the Zip Line, Diving, Boat Trips etc have closed for at least 3 months with some saying they may not be back...and I have been dropping a small donation to the elephant sanctuary, along with a few mates, each month as they were in desperate need of money just to feed the animals..

even though there are planned tranches of re-openings coming down the pipeline and a mooted lifting of lockdown measures planned for 1st July...I just can't see a lot of the smaller joints being in any fit state to either open again or survive until next year before tourists are likely (or not) to start arriving again

hard to imagine this joint ever being the same again TBH..

kaptainrob

Administrator
It will take a few years to bounce back, maybe longer, and likely never the same as before. Same with the airline industry. And recession hasn't really hit potential travelers yet.

Bacon

Administrator
Names and brands will survive and that's the important thing. Which means after things get back to normal, there is still something of value worth investing in, and investors will jump on it if it's been kicking around for a while. And often when investors jump on new ops it means revamps, so some venues could end up being even better. No guarantees, but greed can usually be counted on to resurrect a phoenix or two from ashes in a lot of cases.

MarcTwoSix

bacwaan;439306 said:
I am just wondering what is going to happen with many of the entertainment venues around the country if we can ever get back to some semblance of normal again..."Entertainment after Covid'....what's it gonna look like

I was very sad to see that La Scala in BKK has closed its doors to showing films as it can no longer make a go of it..its going to become just another venue for hire now...I used to love that seeing films in that joint...it is a real beauty

I imagine lots of joints are going to be in the same boat...I see and have heard of loads of restaurants/bars/clubs here on Samui, particularly in Lamai and Chaweng where the owner/operators have just walked away and gone back to their home countries...a couple of suicides in with that lot as well...I just don't see enough biz going around to sustain the industry as it is now here..and whatever laws/restrictions that will be placed on them in order to reopen

other tourist ventures like the Zip Line, Diving, Boat Trips etc have closed for at least 3 months with some saying they may not be back...and I have been dropping a small donation to the elephant sanctuary, along with a few mates, each month as they were in desperate need of money just to feed the animals..

even though there are planned tranches of re-openings coming down the pipeline and a mooted lifting of lockdown measures planned for 1st July...I just can't see a lot of the smaller joints being in any fit state to either open again or survive until next year before tourists are likely (or not) to start arriving again

hard to imagine this joint ever being the same again TBH..
I believe La Scala was always set to close, no?
I've never seen a movie there but went in and walked around

As Bacon says, new people will come in and fill the void.
Although there may be some lag

People walking away and going home sort of amazes me
I feel for them losing a business

But it does reflect how many expats are over there with not much savings at all
I'd never want to be living overseas and not have a very big cushion

But for an expat like yourself
If you've gotten to know some of these people, and you enjoy their places and company, that's a bit of a bummer

MarcTwoSix

Dupree;439317 said:
Not a great time to retire. Live music is, or was, my thing....:(
On the contrary if you wanted to live overseas
Could swoop in and grab all kinds of fire sales, possibly

Dupree

MarcTwoSix;439326 said:
On the contrary if you wanted to live overseas
Could swoop in and grab all kinds of fire sales, possibly
Why would anyone want to travel and live overseas during a pandemic? Just for a cheap flight?

MarcTwoSix

Dupree;439328 said:
Why would anyone want to travel and live overseas during a pandemic? Just for a cheap flight?
You live in a country that still has 1k deaths per day

Why would going to a country that has barely any and good hospitals be something to worry about?

Instance coverage or having the money to pay for care if you happen to contact covid would be the main concern

Stillearly

MarcTwoSix;439329 said:

Why would going to a country that has barely any and good hospitals be something to worry about?

Instance coverage or having the money to pay for care if you happen to contact covid would be the main concern
its being at crowded airports and sitting on a plane for 12 hours , that would concern me more than the destination

Dupree

MarcTwoSix;439329 said:

Seems a reckless choice to me. I'll wait and see how the next wave goes this winter. People seem way over optimistic.

Quarky

Administrator
Stillearly;439330 said:
its being at crowded airports and sitting on a plane for 12 hours , that would concern me more than the destination
Can you catch a ferry to France? Take your car? Then drive to Thailand?

MarcTwoSix

Dupree;439331 said:
Seems a reckless choice to me. I'll wait and see how the next wave goes this winter. People seem way over optimistic.
I don't totally disagree with you

And I honestly was thinking of just the destination

MarcTwoSix

Stillearly;439330 said:
Yes good point
I was only just thinking of the destination

Although I would feel comfortable being on a plane now
Just take precautions

kaptainrob

Administrator
bacwaan;439461 said:
This is the same all over Thailand although IMO there were way too many little old hotels running on minimal funds.

Is there a huge exodus of 'unemployed' workers leaving Samui?

Was talking with an inbound travel operator yesterday who was already hard hit by a general downturn from UK and Europe before C19. His target market is English speaking 20 - 50 year old adventure seekers which he doesn't expect to resume before New Year. Even then, due to financial constraints and ongoing travel restrictions he's facing a very uncertain future. Kids at Uni or in International schools, staff to pay and rent on his home are all a drain on savings.

MarcTwoSix

kaptainrob;439532 said:
This is the same all over Thailand although IMO there were way too many little old hotels running on minimal funds.

Was talking with an inbound travel operator yesterday who was already hard hit by a general downturn from UK and Europe before C19. His target market is English speaking 20 - 50 year old adventure seekers which he doesn't expect to resume before New Year. Even then, due to financial constraints and ongoing travel restrictions he's facing a very uncertain future. Kids at Uni or in International schools, staff to pay and rent on his home are all a drain on savings.
As I am in tbe market in both BKK and the village
I have to think it trickels down

I've told Ao I'm not committing to anything and not held to spend anything
But to keep her eye out for any real deals and I'd pounce on it

Although I think that is still at least next year that they start to trickle out

justcruzing1

^^^^^ Maybe buy a small hotel on Samui and convert it back to a residence......lots of rooms for when family come to visit 555555

bacwaan

kaptainrob;439532 said:
well, there certainly was..but I'd say that most who lost their jobs through this lockdown and foresaw what was likely to happen have gone home already...BGs and MGs left in droves as did the hotel + restaurant + tourist industry workers...Beach Rd Chaweng is like a ghost road atm...at least in Lamai there are the locals and expats..but Chaweng is as dead as a doornail..even the mall is very sparcely populated