Demise of Entertainment Venues after Covid

Ian Forbes

New member
And even long time tourists like myself are in a quandary about ever returning. Nobody knows what it will be like if and when it opens again. I'm not going to go back if all there is to do is sit in a small hotel room and not have any place to visit. Who knows what the cost of flights will be, or connecting flights. Who knows what quarantines we would be subjected to?
 

OZZYGUY

Well-known member
bacwaan;439575 said:
.Beach Rd Chaweng is like a ghost road atm...at least in Lamai there are the locals and expats..but Chaweng is as dead as a doornail..even the mall is very sparcely populated
I know its a sad situation for the locals but I would rather like it like that if I was a expat.
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
well, they are talking about allowing restaurants to serve alcohol again as of the 15th of June...pubs and bars maybe from 1st July..let's wait and see on that one...I expect there will be heavy restrictions if they do...

I wonder if this will entice many of the bigger joints to reopen...
 

Ian Forbes

New member
bacwaan;440026 said:
well, they are talking about allowing restaurants to serve alcohol again as of the 15th of June...pubs and bars maybe from 1st July..let's wait and see on that one...I expect there will be heavy restrictions if they do...

I wonder if this will entice many of the bigger joints to reopen...
At some point a business has to make a profit just to pay rental fees. I know that some men who have a solid foreign pension, or are independently wealthy, can continue subsidizing a business for their Thai family to run, but at some point you just ask yourself... what's the use?
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
bacwaan;440026 said:
well, they are talking about allowing restaurants to serve alcohol again as of the 15th of June...pubs and bars maybe from 1st July..let's wait and see on that one...I expect there will be heavy restrictions if they do...

I wonder if this will entice many of the bigger joints to reopen...
I think October may be the earliest they allow all international travel and I could see it stretching to 2021
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
slowly slowly slowly.....hopefully we can have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner at our local restaurants next week..and not have to worry about what time it is or having to scurry home....I gotta birthday coming up so maybe a small get together at a mates restaurant is in oreder to break the ice...;clap;

hopefully this brings a few of the more upmarket joints back...there are very few of them operating atm...in fact none of my regular spots...mostly only Mom + Pop joints open atm...

not a very promising assessment on international travel here....it is probably in accord with my thinking too as we are consistently getting new cases of Thai returnees from the middle east discovered with the virus on arrival testing or in Govt Q facilities...numbers are pretty low though..only a handfull per day usually...but enough to make anyone wary

hopefully the mooted October return to international flights without Q can happen...but that will require no second wave...might even cause one if enacted too soon...


Night curfew to be lifted from June 15 but international travel to be controlled
National


Jun 12. 2020
Facebook TwitterBy THE NATION


The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) approved ending the night curfew from June 15.
The centre made the decision at its meeting on Friday (June 12). The meeting was presided over by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.T he 11pm-to-3am curfew will be lifted from next Monday (June 15) but the state of emergency in the country will continue. The centre decided to strictly control travel in and out of Thailand, as most of the Covid-19 patients in recent days were returnees from foreign countries. The CCSA also said that some high-risk activities, such as the use of school buildings or some sports, will be relaxed in the fourth phase of the lockdown relaxation. Sale of alcoholic beverages will be allowed, as well as the holding of concerts. However, bars and pubs will remain closed in this next phase. On Wednesday (June 10), the National Security Council had proposed the lifting of the nationwide night curfew for a 15-day trial period while maintaining the state of emergency.

 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
bacwaan;440207 said:
slowly slowly slowly.....hopefully we can have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner at our local restaurants next week..and not have to worry about what time it is or having to scurry home....I gotta birthday coming up so maybe a small get together at a mates restaurant is in oreder to break the ice...;clap;

hopefully this brings a few of the more upmarket joints back...there are very few of them operating atm...in fact none of my regular spots...mostly only Mom + Pop joints open atm...

not a very promising assessment on international travel here....it is probably in accord with my thinking too as we are consistently getting new cases of Thai returnees from the middle east discovered with the virus on arrival testing or in Govt Q facilities...numbers are pretty low though..only a handfull per day usually...but enough to make anyone wary

hopefully the mooted October return to international flights without Q can happen...but that will require no second wave...might even cause one if enacted too soon...




[/I]
I told some idiot on FB that was questioning if Thailands #'s were legit to fuxk off
(I always get linked to miserable farang comments about Thailand through Sefton!)

Looks like you might have some options soon
That's good!

I'd like to go to Thailand as soon as I can but in my mind, I wrote 2020 off

Also, I do think Thailand may not allow US citizens in when they open, initially
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
^ The talk here is about adopting "Bubbles" of reciprocal tourism with other safe countries, maybe in Q3...so immediate SEA ones they consider "safe" like Vietnam, Singapore, South Korea, maybe China and Japan..AUS + NZ could easily fit in there..I notice Thai Airways are scheduling 5 flights a day to AUS cities beginning August 1st...not a lot of point doing that unless they make some kind of arrangement along those lines

But yeah you are right..not a lot of countries are gonna wanna bubble up with the likes of the USA, Brazil, UK, India et al atm...
 

MarcTwoSix

Well-known member
bacwaan;440233 said:
^ The talk here is about adopting "Bubbles" of reciprocal tourism with other safe countries, maybe in Q3...so immediate SEA ones they consider "safe" like Vietnam, Singapore, South Korea, maybe China and Japan..AUS + NZ could easily fit in there..I notice Thai Airways are scheduling 5 flights a day to AUS cities beginning August 1st...not a lot of point doing that unless they make some kind of arrangement along those lines

But yeah you are right..not a lot of countries are gonna wanna bubble up with the likes of the USA, Brazil, UK, India et al atm...
I like to goad my sisters and tell them I don't know if Canada is going to open the border with US
Or that I may be banned from going to Thailand

(Both actual possibilities)

But they react as if the US isn't spiking all over the country!

Dumbest country in the world
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
^ It is no mistake that there is Trump, Bolsonaro and BoJo out there leading the world in the biggest covid-f#ckups...
 

Quarky

Administrator
bacwaan;440239 said:
^ It is no mistake that there is Trump, Bolsonaro and BoJo out there leading the world in the biggest covid-f#ckups...
I wonder how Theresa May would have handled it....
 

Dupree

Well-known member
I've been watching some entertaining live streams via FB these days. Better than nothing I guess. They do have an intimate feel though. And you can communicate via live comments. Hey! It's Friday!
 

RakThai

Well-known member
bacwaan;440207 said:
slowly slowly slowly.....hopefully we can have a glass of wine or a beer with dinner at our local restaurants next week..and not have to worry about what time it is or having to scurry home....I gotta birthday coming up so maybe a small get together at a mates restaurant is in oreder to break the ice...;clap;

hopefully this brings a few of the more upmarket joints back...there are very few of them operating atm...in fact none of my regular spots...mostly only Mom + Pop joints open atm...

not a very promising assessment on international travel here....it is probably in accord with my thinking too as we are consistently getting new cases of Thai returnees from the middle east discovered with the virus on arrival testing or in Govt Q facilities...numbers are pretty low though..only a handfull per day usually...but enough to make anyone wary

hopefully the mooted October return to international flights without Q can happen...but that will require no second wave...might even cause one if enacted too soon...


Night curfew to be lifted from June 15 but international travel to be controlled
National


Jun 12. 2020
Facebook TwitterBy THE NATION


The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) approved ending the night curfew from June 15.
The centre made the decision at its meeting on Friday (June 12). The meeting was presided over by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha.T he 11pm-to-3am curfew will be lifted from next Monday (June 15) but the state of emergency in the country will continue. The centre decided to strictly control travel in and out of Thailand, as most of the Covid-19 patients in recent days were returnees from foreign countries. The CCSA also said that some high-risk activities, such as the use of school buildings or some sports, will be relaxed in the fourth phase of the lockdown relaxation. Sale of alcoholic beverages will be allowed, as well as the holding of concerts. However, bars and pubs will remain closed in this next phase. On Wednesday (June 10), the National Security Council had proposed the lifting of the nationwide night curfew for a 15-day trial period while maintaining the state of emergency.

Thai logic really defies logic!

For more than 2 weeks now they did not have any new cases that were transmitted in Thailand, still have some cases from returning Thai citizens returning from India and the middle east, but none in Thailand..
Which means the transmission risk in Thailand is zero!
Still many things have to stay closed, opening of schools in not forwarded and the rules for children when returning to school are (more than) very strict.
Restaurants, bars, entertainment venues still closed, but also Or Bor Tor offices, driving licence offices, etc., etc.
And everywhere in places that can re-open the social distancing requirements have to be maintained..

Why? if a country is free of Covid there is no rational grounds for maintaining any restrictions! Not unless you open borders, which is not happening..

And more striking.. Farang banned from buses and some venues..
Any Farang in Thailand now has been there since before the lock-down, so why even think about discriminatory measures?
 

sidvicious

Well-known member
RakThai;440249 said:
Thai logic really defies logic!

For more than 2 weeks now they did not have any new cases that were transmitted in Thailand, still have some cases from returning Thai citizens returning from India and the middle east, but none in Thailand..
Which means the transmission risk in Thailand is zero!
Still many things have to stay closed, opening of schools in not forwarded and the rules for children when returning to school are (more than) very strict.
Restaurants, bars, entertainment venues still closed, but also Or Bor Tor offices, driving licence offices, etc., etc.
And everywhere in places that can re-open the social distancing requirements have to be maintained..

Why? if a country is free of Covid there is no rational grounds for maintaining any restrictions! Not unless you open borders, which is not happening..

And more striking.. Farang banned from buses and some venues..
Any Farang in Thailand now has been there since before the lock-down, so why even think about discriminatory measures?
Maybe they are not putting the true figures out there?
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
sidvicious;440291 said:
Maybe they are not putting the true figures out there?
I don't think Thailand's Testing + Tracing System has been all it could have...

but don't forget we are still run by a military minded govt who revels in its strictness and hatred of all things that involve booze and partying...(unless of course it is done by the elite in secret)..

a lot of the truly daft stuff comes down to individual Orbotors and Administrators as well....and we all know why that is...the harder it is to get "official" documents the more that can be charged..
 

bacwaan

Well-known member
^ yes..I dare say that Bangla is doing it way worse than Lamai where I live in Samui, however me Chob and his mate Ken rode down Chaweng Beach Rd today as a part of a scootpootle....it was like a ghost town....the whole strip was torn up (road) and all the shops were shuttered...was thinking a ramble weed was gonna roll down the road any second....over on Soi Raggae the Reggae Pub, an institution of nightlife on samui looked like it was being gutted..

I bumped into two mates who own standard bars (non girlie) in lamai yesterday...both told me that they have terminated their leases and closed for good...and these two bars were long term expat bars too...
 
Top