Demise of Entertainment Venues after Covid

sidvicious

Just to back you up Sid. I have seen a few FB posts from friends in CM and they were all out and about... Eating mostly 555
Just found it strange as certain parts of the country people were partying while some parts like Pattaya were becoming ghost towns like in the last lockdown.

PeteGill

Just found it strange as certain parts of the country people were partying while some parts like Pattaya were becoming ghost towns like in the last lockdown.
From what I know, CM has been a ghost town for quite a while anyway. Least as far as the entertainment and bar scene is concerned.

bacwaan

Lamai (Koh Samui) was pretty low key last night...no fireworks or beach parties this year...it was kinda just like a normal night out except most of the bars put up balloons and had food and some even had live bands....

DSA (Dog shit Alley) which is now paved and quite a bit more upmarket these days had a big sound system with molam music covering about a half of it...I avoided that bit as it was so fkn loud....

There were cops in plain dress wandering around checking things out..they didn't seem to bother anyone..I think they were just there to make sure large crowds didn't gather...

my "date" from last night....

Date.NYE.2021.jpg

Bacon

Administrator
Lamai (Koh Samui) was pretty low key last night...no fireworks or beach parties this year...it was kinda just like a normal night out except most of the bars put up balloons and had food and some even had live bands....

DSA (Dog shit Alley) which is now paved and quite a bit more upmarket these days had a big sound system with molam music covering about a half of it...I avoided that bit as it was so fkn loud....

There were cops in plain dress wandering around checking things out..they didn't seem to bother anyone..I think they were just there to make sure large crowds didn't gather...

View attachment 1137
Pretty bow indeed.

So is this local crowds, or are you getting actual tourists?

bacwaan

Pretty bow indeed.

So is this local crowds, or are you getting actual tourists?
I have noticed a few new faces in the village and on the beach lately but not many...this was a very local bunch of revellers...if you could call beer drinking geriatrics "revellers"...55

Last edited:

Tarzan

View attachment 1137
Nice... Whats his name..? 55555

Stillearly

Tahitian Queen Bar on Beach road in Pattaya , the oldest bar in Patts , has closed apparently , think it opened in 1979 iirc

do ron

Tahitian Queen Bar on Beach road in Pattaya , the oldest bar in Patts , has closed apparently , think it opened in 1979 iirc
Passed it but never entered unfortunately.

Apparently there's quite a lot of cool memorabilia inside .

bacwaan

Is that the biker bar/gogo?...haven't been in there for nearly 20 years...closest thing to a proper biker joint I have ever been in...all the bikers in their colours and ZZ Top Beards and guts......

was a great place to watch the changeover of GG gals shifts from day to night..they all paraded along the stage and got a huge cheers frpm all the punters..quite amusing

PeteGill

Been in a couple of times a few years ago, great music if you are an aging rocker like me. The ladies were a mixture of past sell by date to quite cute.
The added advantage was that they opened early, so if you were doing a long afternoon walk it was not a bad place to cool down and have a beer.
Having said all that, I am not sure I will miss it much.

Stillearly

Is that the biker bar/gogo?...haven't been in there for nearly 20 years...closest thing to a proper biker joint I have ever been in...all the bikers in their colours and ZZ Top Beards and guts......

was a great place to watch the changeover of GG gals shifts from day to night..they all paraded along the stage and got a huge cheers frpm all the punters..quite amusing
yes , the Hash used to meet there as well , the only GoGo that opened in the afternoon in recent years ( Champagne used to in Soi LK but was stopped about five years ago .. ) ... I'm not really a daytime drinker , so not a loss to me , but the signage was part of Pattaya from my first trip and beyond

PeteGill

yes , the Hash used to meet there as well , the only GoGo that opened in the afternoon in recent years ( Champagne used to in Soi LK but was stopped about five years ago .. ) ... I'm not really a daytime drinker , so not a loss to me , but the signage was part of Pattaya from my first trip and beyond
Now you make me feel like an alky 555
Not one to lay by the pool during the day so like to get out and about. An afternoon beer before retiring back to the hotel for a late swim and siesta suits me well.

Dupree

The TQ was a great noontime bar. Very dark. And good aircon. My first time there I realized that my tan shorts showed too many wet spots when I walked out. Started wearing dark blue after that...55

bacwaan

so night before last I was up in the village (Lamai, Samui) to meet up with a mate and have a some dinner....we went to another mates restaurant/pub but he said he couldn't serve beers as the cops were around that afternoon and told all the bars and restaurant owners no alcohol service for the foreseeable future..no skin off my nose as I was only going to have a couple of diet cokes with my ribs and coleslaw anyway...

We have no known cases of Covid on the island atm....and we only had 5 going back in the first wave in April/May...all recovered..no cases for more than 6 months...so this was a bit of a blow to the bar owners who have all kept things pretty low key all year anyway...not that they have had to try too hard...its only really the regular expat drinkers out and about in the bars here anyway..

Tonight I am up there again to drop my NYE date back to hers (we had a day out) and we go by about a dozen joints open looking like they are serving booze....so she asked if we could stop in at a friend of hers bar and have a glass of wine...her bar owner friend told us that the Chaweng/Bhoput cops who are HQ on the island were the ones to come around the day before yesterday, to say no booze.....and then the local Lamai BiBs came around today and said that they could serve, but in covers, no music and to keep the customers apart in groups no bigger than about a half dozen...all clear as mud...TiT...555

Take-away booze remained unaffecetd...

Last edited: