Do you not have Thai restaurants near you?

MarcTwoSix

Obviously not a question for the expats 5555

But wondering if people don't have Thai restaurants near you?

At this point in North America, there are very few places we can go that don't have Thai restaurants

We have to quarantine for 7 days in Boston and it's not even a thought what Ao will do if she wants Thai food

Actually there is a place in Boston that is as authentic as Thailand

Quarky

Administrator
Yeah, everywhere. Been that way for decades. But especially last twenty years.... Like Chinese almost.

PeteGill

Plenty Thai places here, but the food tends to be a bit toned down to suit Western tastes. A little like Indian restaurants.
Having spent a lot of my time whilst in Thailand in the North, I enjoy Northern Thai dishes and I have not found any locally I would kill for a good Khao Soi.
Also price wise I battle to justify what I pay here in comparison to what I pay in CM.. Certainly no 40Bat dishes available locally 555

Quarky

Administrator
Yeah Thai places still don't compete on price with Chinese... But they still flourish...

MarcTwoSix

Plenty Thai places here, but the food tends to be a bit toned down to suit Western tastes. A little like Indian restaurants.
Having spent a lot of my time whilst in Thailand in the North, I enjoy Northern Thai dishes and I have not found any locally I would kill for a good Khao Soi.
Also price wise I battle to justify what I pay here in comparison to what I pay in CM.. Certainly no 40Bat dishes available locally 555
In the US, there are more and more Issan restaurants opening up
Especially in places in NYC

I was just wondering if someone doesn't have any near them these days

PeteGill

In the US, there are more and more Issan restaurants opening up
Especially in places in NYC

I was just wondering if someone doesn't have any near them these days
I can't even find a good Khao Soi in Bangkok 555
Though I am sure it is available. But it is interesting that people see Thai food as a few well known dishes, when in fact there are some wonderful regional delicacies.

MarcTwoSix

I can't even find a good Khao Soi in Bangkok 555
Though I am sure it is available. But it is interesting that people see Thai food as a few well known dishes, when in fact there are some wonderful regional delicacies.
One of the places we go to NYC that is really authentic actually has a location in Bangkok, as well

We have had some duds in Thai restaurants but my wife has liked a lot more places than she hasn't

Also helps she can speak Thai and let them know how she wants it prepared

Stillearly

Loads , but they the most expensive of the Asian restaurants, Indian and Chinese are normally £2-3 a main dish cheaper

MarcTwoSix

And they still get business. People always talk about Thai like it's a step up from Chinese. Is it?
I would say it is in the US in a way

Thai restaurants are still mostly sit down establishments
Where as there are so many take-out Chinese places that sort of lower the perception

MarcTwoSix

And they still get business. People always talk about Thai like it's a step up from Chinese. Is it?
Chinese is very much thought of as "drunk food" or bad food you pig out on every once in a while

Where Thai is a place you go to dinner to or it's in your nightly rotation for dinner delivery

OZZYGUY

We have them everywhere but most are very ordinary. Im talking in my town not up in the city.

As you may remember we almost brought one. This is still the best one in town.

My wife likes to cook Thai food, so does her mum. Maybe not as good as your girls do but still better than most the restaurants we have.

Moo Uaon

Thai was the new Chinese here and became very popular but now Vietnamese is really big and has quite different and very nice flavors.
We have a couple of Asian laneways with some nice Asian restaurants in them nearby to where we live.
We found a newly opened one the other day with a good Pho beef soup and some outstanding pork spring roll.
Always preferred the Viet spring rolls from when our neighbors in western Sydney use to bribe my mum before their big cock fighting events in their shed down the backyard.
Mum loved the food they bought in and knew what was going on but didn't want to dob them in as they were very nice, kind people....with a cock fighting problem 55

MarcTwoSix

Thai was the new Chinese here and became very popular but now Vietnamese is really big and has quite different and very nice flavors.
We have a couple of Asian laneways with some nice Asian restaurants in them nearby to where we live.
We found a newly opened one the other day with a good Pho beef soup and some outstanding pork spring roll.
Always preferred the Viet spring rolls from when our neighbors in western Sydney use to bribe my mum before their big cock fighting events in their shed down the backyard.
Mum loved the food they bought in and knew what was going on but didn't want to dob them in as they were very nice, kind people....with a cock fighting problem 55
Vietnam has the advantage of being what people think of the healthiest Asian food, IMO

And I do love their food, so fragrant

Cippy

We're silly with them, everywhere you go, but we still have only found one good one after trying many in several different states, Daisy Mint, and its more fusion than Thai, but run by a Thai family. Nothing compares to the wife's cooking. It took her a long time to realize that she wasn't missing anything cause she can make everything, if she didn't before she does now, even making her own Tep Moo, although after a getting a too many hot grease burns she gave up on that. She spends about 50 bucks a month to get a few things imported, like the only Plah lah she likes out of a jar and shrimp paste, and have a nice Thai import store down in Thai town in Hollywood. We even tried one of the many Thai place in Thai town and a specific Isaan cuisine place in Korea town, her food is still way better. Some of the worst places are more like greasy Chinese.

Tingtong

My Local Shopping Strip is relatively small .... Maybe 20 shops, and 3 of them are Thai Restaurants .
One thing I have been noticing is that Chinese have been Buying Thai and Vietnamese Places and pretending to be Thai or Viet . Sneaky C@nts .