Do you not have Thai restaurants near you?

Moo Uaon

^ is the burek guy still there in Port Kembla?
I use to love his mince one for lunch way back when.

Tingtong

If anyone can survive it would be the Burek / Kabab Guys . I think the Pub is still going . And the Pro's on the Corners are still going a 'Mate ' Told me 55

MarcTwoSix

We're silly with them, everywhere you go, but we still have only found one good one after trying many in several different states, Daisy Mint, and its more fusion than Thai, but run by a Thai family. Nothing compares to the wife's cooking. It took her a long time to realize that she wasn't missing anything cause she can make everything, if she didn't before she does now, even making her own Tep Moo, although after a getting a too many hot grease burns she gave up on that. She spends about 50 bucks a month to get a few things imported, like the only Plah lah she likes out of a jar and shrimp paste, and have a nice Thai import store down in Thai town in Hollywood. We even tried one of the many Thai place in Thai town and a specific Isaan cuisine place in Korea town, her food is still way better. Some of the worst places are more like greasy Chinese.
Once we are off quarantine we will go to the big Asian grocery store and get her everything she needs

Plus during quarantine she will bring a bunch of cup-of-noodle
And she can turn one cup of noodles into a Michelen star dish with her add-ons!

I prefer to choose my ingredients when cooking or eating Thai as some of the rubbish locals use I would not feed to the dogs. You have to remember this is Issan and struth, they eat anything. 55

Cippy

Once we are off quarantine we will go to the big Asian grocery store and get her everything she needs

Plus during quarantine she will bring a bunch of cup-of-noodle
And she can turn one cup of noodles into a Michelen star dish with her add-ons!
Survival measure, emergency for Thai women and for Thai men if they can't find a Thai woman to cook for them (it happens). The only thing Nong Chai can cook is instant noodles. 555

I don't what Asian have against potatoes. The ubiquitous Filipino Seaman I work with will eat anything, especially on international crews, (container ships they are the majority, but they have crews of 15 not 70 or more like we "research" vessels but still comprise the largest %). Always cheerful, work hard and very cheap. The one Caveat is you have to let them have half a plate of rice with whatever accompanies it, 3 times s a day. NO RICE, NO WORK, is the joke I have heard from them 100 times. 555

Noodles are second best, noses are turned up at potatoes. My wife still won't eat much bread and never a sandwich, if she is forced to eat at a burger joint she will get lettuce wrapped. She only really likes good chewy breads with butter, dough is why she doesn't like pizza, like, even the good shit, like the 60 year old Sicilian pizza I drive 45 mins round trip to get. She likes sweet potato fries, but regular. Her new favorite western dish is a bloody steak . . . and rice, with Thai sauces. 555

They're starch bigots, I tell you.

Quarky

Administrator
My wife still won't eat much bread and never a sandwich, if she is forced to eat at a burger joint she will get lettuce wrapped. She only really likes good chewy breads with butter, dough is why she doesn't like pizza, like, even the good shit, like the 60 year old Sicilian pizza I drive 45 mins round trip to get. She likes sweet potato fries, but regular. Her new favorite western dish is a bloody steak . . . and rice, with Thai sauces. 555

She'll stay slim that lass.. good for her! ..55

Cippy

She'll stay slim that lass.. good for her! ..55
Well, she is still a sugar addict. 555 She is better after I showed her how she turned our daughter into one. I pointed out the classic addict behaviors her 4 year old was exhibiting. Lying, manipulating, sneaking, cajoling us for sugary snacks.

She gains weight and starts to have normal woman curves, but she always loses it again when her obsession take over, like studying, she will sit and study for 12 hours a day barely eats a little Naam Priik and rice, won't take a break and barks at anybody who interrupts her. 555 She goes back to her Thai size then. 555 I would complain, but her system is working for her, still has a 4.0 finishing all her nursing prerequisites this semester.

MarcTwoSix

Survival measure, emergency for Thai women and for Thai men if they can't find a Thai woman to cook for them (it happens). The only thing Nong Chai can cook is instant noodles. 555

I don't what Asian have against potatoes. The ubiquitous Filipino Seaman I work with will eat anything, especially on international crews, (container ships they are the majority, but they have crews of 15 not 70 or more like we "research" vessels but still comprise the largest %). Always cheerful, work hard and very cheap. The one Caveat is you have to let them have half a plate of rice with whatever accompanies it, 3 times s a day. NO RICE, NO WORK, is the joke I have heard from them 100 times. 555

Noodles are second best, noses are turned up at potatoes. My wife still won't eat much bread and never a sandwich, if she is forced to eat at a burger joint she will get lettuce wrapped. She only really likes good chewy breads with butter, dough is why she doesn't like pizza, like, even the good shit, like the 60 year old Sicilian pizza I drive 45 mins round trip to get. She likes sweet potato fries, but regular. Her new favorite western dish is a bloody steak . . . and rice, with Thai sauces. 555

My wife LOVES thai food, as most do
But she eats almost any type of western food so we never have too much of an issue

But, just like a lot of us, after a few days, she needs Thai food(rice)

We have a trip to Mexico booked and will be interesting to see how she goes
1st 4 days in an all-inclusive

But after that out on our own
Plenty of food that she will like but the "needed Thai food" might be an issue

Rockitt

We have plenty in my area and most of them are good. Some offer takeaway services also. During the Covid lockdowns they have been very busy with the takeaway food.

MarcTwoSix

Isn't Mexico still rampant with Covid?
No more so than where I live or where I will be staying for the next 2 months

And will be fully vaccinated
Outside almost 100% of the time and rental car the whole time, so no public transport/taxis

Have to live life sometime.....

Everything is "free cancelation" so we will decide a couple weeks before depending on how things look

Quarky

Administrator
No more so than where I live or where I will be staying for the next 2 months

And will be fully vaccinated
Outside almost 100% of the time and rental car the whole time, so no public transport/taxis

Have to live life sometime.....

Everything is "free cancelation" so we will decide a couple weeks before depending on how things look
My mate is travelling to NZ right now.. from Canada. Staying for a number of months... just so he can enjoy life Covid-free. But he hasn't had any vaccine jab yet. Over 50 but he couldn't get one before he left.. so is travelling un-vaccinated via Korea to NZ... crazy...

OZZYGUY

My mate is travelling to NZ right now.. from Canada. Staying for a number of months... just so he can enjoy life Covid-free. But he hasn't had any vaccine jab yet. Over 50 but he couldn't get one before he left.. so is travelling un-vaccinated via Korea to NZ... crazy...
We have been considering NZ later this year, do a road trip maybe buy or rent a RV. Stay a month or two.

The Australian school year finished in Dec and restarts in Asia in June so thinking a hope skip and jump to the Philippines.

My house is sold and I'm renting it back to early December.

Something like Perth - NZ (2 months) - Chaing mai (4 months) - Dumagetti in Pi.(12 months maybe longer)

Just a thought at this stage, pretty hard to plan anything these days.

Moo Uaon

I might give it another couple of years to see what's going on with Covid to plan my next big OS trip with an experts opinion that it might hang around for around 7 years riniging loud in my ears.

Bacon

Administrator
Plenty of Thai restaurants here too. Can also confirm they do happen to be pricier. The quality is higher too though. The ingredients just seem better and fresher in the Thai food I buy compared to many of the Chinese equivalents... or maybe I'm just imagining it. So costs could be higher.

I more enjoy bowls of Pha or good Ramen these days though. The only thing I don't like about these types of dishes is the long noodles. It's sloppy business, and there's no dignified way to eat it. Head down in the bowl and get on with business.

MarcTwoSix

Plenty of Thai restaurants here too. Can also confirm they do happen to be pricier. The quality is higher too though. The ingredients just seem better and fresher in the Thai food I buy compared to many of the Chinese equivalents... or maybe I'm just imagining it. So costs could be higher.

I more enjoy bowls of Pha or good Ramen these days though. The only thing I don't like about these types of dishes is the long noodles. It's sloppy business, and there's no dignified way to eat it. Head down in the bowl and get on with business.
I love Ramen but it knocks me the fvuk out

I'm not doing much after a bowl of Ramen...