Downunder Pub

Moo Uaon

^ i think they needed a break. life of a bar owner is pretty tough...especially when living on the premises.
they've been doing it for a few years now...about 10.
probably got a decent wad of cash out of it....take the many and run. good luck to them.

PeteGill

Loads of good memories there and it will be a bit strange not seeing Stew and Noi at the helm, but I did briefly chat with him on FB and he says that it will still be his local.
The bonus I believe is that the new owner is installing a bigger kitchen and will be serving a far wider range of dishes.

Moo Uaon

PeteGill;291713 said:
The bonus I believe is that the new owner is installing a bigger kitchen and will be serving a far wider range of dishes.
that's my fear and a bit different to what has made it successful.
the front part is hardly up to scratch for a proper restaurant yet is suitable for a sports bar.
no tweaking or tuning needed,IMO.

Rivo

Im with you Moo............1000's of restaurants nearby if that's what your after........Stu's bar snacks were enough IMO...........The sports theme is the attraction, if it were me id add lots of pics of northern Thailand aswell as aim towards the motorcycle riding groups.......plenty of riders around all year round.

Down the 69 bar the other night/morning having a beer with Bill (owner of the old Mikes burgers) and showing him some pics of where ive been in the North, he's lived here 14 years and never heard of half the places weve been too

PeteGill

^^^ We will have to see, a few Thai dishes added to what was already available may just work. Perhaps a good steak or ribs as well.

I should imagine that the room at the back that Stew and Noi were using as living quarters may make a decent sized kitchen if the new owners do not use it as accommodation.

Did you ever go to Secret Garden/ I must admit I had never heard of it, big secret 555

Moo Uaon

Rivo;291715 said:
Im with you Moo............1000's of restaurants nearby if that's what your after........Stu's bar snacks were enough IMO...........The sports theme is the attraction, if it were me id add lots of pics of northern Thailand aswell as aim towards the motorcycle riding groups.......plenty of riders around all year round.

Down the 69 bar the other night/morning having a beer with Bill (owner of the old Mikes burgers) and showing him some pics of where ive been in the North, he's lived here 14 years and never heard of half the places weve been too

^ yeah,the big map on the wall 55
but stew never had room for one...maybe roll up type for special occasions.

actually there were a few of the local bike brigade that were regulars there....but for F1 and MotoGP race times. so local bikers wanting to see sports. i'm sure none of them would go out of their way to go there to eat but might have a plate of chips,burger or sandwich or whatever while viewing the racing was quite common.

PeteGill

Rivo;291715 said:
New owner? The lady who was there (can never remember her name) was not doing much with it..... Her some time boyfriend was a guy by the name of Peter ex Zimbabwe, we had a few things in common 555

Moo Uaon

^ think he said the owner of mikes burgers? was probably there having a drink.

he's lived here 14 years and never heard of half the places weve been too
the north is changing a lot.
some of the out of the way places that needed a day or 2 and an offroad bike to explore have new paved roads on them now.
me and nora were in the right place at the right time and keen to explore to find a few of them. CM old timers are out finding and enjoying some of these places again now in relative ease and comfort compared to days gone by.

Rivo

Moo Uaon;291720 said:
the north is changing a lot..
We tried to replicate the Monjam to Sameong ride in reverse the other day Moo...........into Sameong turn right.........carry on through the villages and market gardens then a right again........through some stunning countryside and a brand new road carved into the side of a mountain, I don't know if the road will last a decent wet season 555

Carried on for many kms through more mountains and crops and came out at the little shop were we stopped last time..........only difference was we arrived from the other direction 555...............We were just using our memory and no GPS.........Me and Nora both couldn't believe the direction we arrived. ........I suppose weve added another ride/loop 555

Moo Uaon

Rivo;291724 said:
We tried to replicate the Monjam to Sameong ride in reverse the other day Moo.........
the masses haven't discovered that one yet......best that way :)
the old loop i found a bit boring after a few runs so that one added a bit of something that i needed...less lunatics coming the other way 55

same with the one up and over doi chang on the way to or back from CR. a nice peaceful addition and some nice scenery to add to the 1/2 day ride CM>CR>CM.

Ian Forbes

There was a brand new road out beyond Ban Bo Kaeo on hwy 1349. It suddenly came to an end on a ridge top and turned into mud, gravel and potholes. We decided to turn around and return to Samoeng. I suspect that in a few years it will be paved and moved further towards Pai.

It was a long way beyond Khun Khan park

OZZYGUY

Sad DUP is sold and wish the new owners all the best, Its been a year since I have been but lots of good memories.

Hopefully the future is bright for Stu and Noi.

Rivo

Moo Uaon;291717 said:
^ yeah,the big map on the wall 55
but stew never had room for one...maybe roll up type for special occasions.

Was up in CR a few days ago, CR big bike hire had a 2m x 2m map of the golden Triangle on the wall, I found out where they got the map done, can't get a map of Northern Thailand though, gt rider has golden Triangle or mae hong son maps only........ive got room in my garage for the map we spoke about 555

Norabunga

Moo Uaon;291726 said:
the masses haven't discovered that one yet......best that way :)
the old loop i found a bit boring after a few runs so that one added a bit of something that i needed...less lunatics coming the other way 55

same with the one up and over doi chang on the way to or back from CR. a nice peaceful addition and some nice scenery to add to the 1/2 day ride CM>CR>CM.
Just did that one with Gav's mates Pete and Dave today. Mae Suai - Doi Chang- CR

Rivo

Norabunga;291757 said:
Just did that one with Gav's mates Pete and Dave today. Mae Suai - Doi Chang- CR

You must of pushed them Nora........in room by 10pm 555............see you tomorrow

Chob

This is just honest feedback , and Im not trying to put down anyone , and of course they have the right of response , but when I went to the bar so named about a year back , it was my opinion that the 'boss' or his partner made no effort to come over and have a chat or acknowledge our presence , even when he was aware that 3 other BMs I assume he knows well , were there .
As I say , it matters not to me , and I will ad that the best I can offer was that the service was polite ( and aloof ) and the place clean , but generally speaking a Farang/Thai bar is as good as the presence and liveliness of the manager/owner and that let non-event down a lot.
But then again , most of the CM bars I visited were similiar and CM would be one of the last places I would recommend anyone coming to LOS for nightlife...

Dont get me wrong , I think CM is a very colourful city ....

Moo Uaon

^ stew doesn't use forums,this one for many years now. he made a decent business without them.
it seems passing trade and word of mouth were the big kickers for his.

briofoz;291765 said:
There are some high def jpgs maps around, I will see if I can find them again.

Found them... Maps of Thailand - Northern Provinces
interesting that "pattaya at night" puts out a map of the north.
some roads and places that i've done and like aren't shown on that one.

Ian Forbes

Chob;291767 said:
But then again , most of the CM bars I visited were similiar and CM would be one of the last places I would recommend anyone coming to LOS for nightlife...

Dont get me wrong , I think CM is a very colourful city ....
I just wonder what you meant by nightlife? There are lots of great music places, and, or, a quiet place to go for a beer and a meal. The P4P section is pretty much restricted to one area, but it's enough to find what you want. More of the same doesn't make some place better.

I don't know what you mean by "very colourful city"? It is a city with a pretty large expat base and you can always find English speaking establishments. That is much harder to find outside of the major cities.