E- Visa

Rockitt

Thanks for the clarity.
After my 60 day trip later this month I will be hoping to return later in the year, October time maybe.
On that occasion I will apply for a multi entry tourist visa which, I believe, if worked well can allow you to stay for 9 months by leaving and re entering at specific times?
Faz, do you know how this works?

Faz

After my 60 day trip later this month I will be hoping to return later in the year, October time maybe.
On that occasion I will apply for a multi entry tourist visa which, I believe, if worked well can allow you to stay for 9 months by leaving and re entering at specific times?
Faz, do you know how this works?
Yes.
Understand the Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker.
On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa. The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp. Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extensions of stay permits at offices of the Immigration Bureau located in the provinces.

METV (Multiple entry tourist visa).
Issued on the basis of tourism.
Valid to enter Thailand for 6 months from the date of issue.
Permits a stay of 60 days on each entry.
The permit of stay can be extended one time on each entry for a further 30 days, and an additional 60 days for visiting Thai family/wife.
Allows multiple entries (using border hops) during the validity of the visa.

To maximise the period of stay, if you make a border hop on, or just before the expiry (enter before date) of the Visa, you will be granted a further stay of 60 days, which can again be extended one time for a further 30 days and an additional 60 days to visit Thai family/wife.
You can stay for almost 9 months, or 11 months with an additional 60-day extension for visiting Thai family/wife from a METV.

Example of Visa issued on April 30th 2024, Enter before date October 30th 2024.
Visa validity 6 months.
Enter Thailand May 1st 2024.
Permitted to stay until June 29th 2024 (60 days).
30 day extension at Immigration (1,900 BHT)
Permitted to stay until July 28th 2024.

Border run July 28th 2024 re-enter. (1st Border run).
Permitted to stay until September 25th 2024. (60 days).
Permitted to stay until October 24th 2024.

Border run October 24th 2024 re-enter. (2nd Border run).
Permitted to stay until December 22nd, 2024. (60 days).
Permitted to stay until Jan 20th 2025.

I think you get the drift. ;)

Rockitt

T
Yes.
Understand the Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand. The validity of a visa is granted with discretion by the Royal Thai Embassy or Royal Thai Consulate-General and is displayed on the visa sticker.
On the other hand, the period of stay is granted by an immigration officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa. The period of stay granted by the immigration officer is displayed on the arrival stamp. Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extensions of stay permits at offices of the Immigration Bureau located in the provinces.

METV (Multiple entry tourist visa).
Issued on the basis of tourism.
Valid to enter Thailand for 6 months from the date of issue.
Permits a stay of 60 days on each entry.
The permit of stay can be extended one time on each entry for a further 30 days, and an additional 60 days for visiting Thai family/wife.
Allows multiple entries (using border hops) during the validity of the visa.

To maximise the period of stay, if you make a border hop on, or just before the expiry (enter before date) of the Visa, you will be granted a further stay of 60 days, which can again be extended one time for a further 30 days and an additional 60 days to visit Thai family/wife.
You can stay for almost 9 months, or 11 months with an additional 60-day extension for visiting Thai family/wife from a METV.

Example of Visa issued on April 30th 2024, Enter before date October 30th 2024.
Visa validity 6 months.
Enter Thailand May 1st 2024.
Permitted to stay until June 29th 2024 (60 days).
Permitted to stay until July 28th 2024.

Border run July 28th 2024 re-enter. (1st Border run).
Permitted to stay until September 25th 2024. (60 days).
Permitted to stay until October 24th 2024.

Border run October 24th 2024 re-enter. (2nd Border run).
Permitted to stay until December 22nd, 2024. (60 days).
Permitted to stay until Jan 20th 2025.

I think you get the drift. ;)
Thank you Faz. Very helpful.

Stillearly

Looks like 60 days from Monday 👍

1. An announcement setting out the list of countries and territories whose passport or travel document holders enter the Kingdom temporarily for tourism, professional or short-term business purposes and are exempt from the visa requirement, allowing them to stay in the Kingdom for up to 60 days in a special case. The list now includes 93 countries/territories, previously there were 57 countries/territories.

Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister Anutin Charnvirakul has reviewed and signed all four announcements, which have been submitted to the Prime Minister for signature. They will then be published in the Royal Gazette, with all announcements coming into effect simultaneously from July 15, 2024.

... อ่านข่าวต้นฉบับได้ที่ : https://www.khaosodenglish.com/life...gners-to-travel-and-do-business-from-july-15/

Rockitt

Looks like 60 days from Monday 👍

1. An announcement setting out the list of countries and territories whose passport or travel document holders enter the Kingdom temporarily for tourism, professional or short-term business purposes and are exempt from the visa requirement, allowing them to stay in the Kingdom for up to 60 days in a special case. The list now includes 93 countries/territories, previously there were 57 countries/territories.

Deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister Anutin Charnvirakul has reviewed and signed all four announcements, which have been submitted to the Prime Minister for signature. They will then be published in the Royal Gazette, with all announcements coming into effect simultaneously from July 15, 2024.

... อ่านข่าวต้นฉบับได้ที่ : https://www.khaosodenglish.com/life...gners-to-travel-and-do-business-from-july-15/
I like the sound of that!

Bacon

Administrator
Important point here, Mark says always hand the immi officer the printed E-Visa first and then check the stamp to make sure it is 60 days. Apparently mishaps are happening a lot and people are getting 30 day stamps.

Rockitt

^^
Mark seems very knowledgeable on the visa front. I wonder what his charges are for his visa/licence applications.
Next time I’m on Soi 6 I’ll call in and see him.

Stillearly

Important point here, Mark says always hand the immi officer the printed E-Visa first and then check the stamp to make sure it is 60 days. Apparently mishaps are happening a lot and people are getting 30 day stamps.
from Monday there won't be any 30 day stamps , the default will be 60 ...

Last edited:

Stillearly

^^
Mark seems very knowledgeable on the visa front. I wonder what his charges are for his visa/licence applications.
Next time I’m on Soi 6 I’ll call in and see him.
this place has a great reputation

Rockitt

Yes I’m sure that is the agent some of my friends have used for their retirement visas. Like you say, they have a good reputation.

Bacon

Administrator
I don't understand how this works. Why would someone from India or Taiwan need to apply for a VoA if they're already exempt?

1720943897637.png

mechime

Yes Boarder exemptions have been limited to 2 a year, but International Airport entry, as I understand, are not limited and I have used 6/year.
I have also had extensions to the exemption expiry date for 30 days at Thb1900 at Chiang Mai, Sukhothai and IT Square immigration offices; you need a TM30 and a bunch of forms filled out for this to work.

Faz

Yes I’m sure that is the agent some of my friends have used for their retirement visas. Like you say, they have a good reputation.
If you meet the financial requirements for 1 year extensions based on retirement or Thai spouse, I really don't see the necessity for using an agent that could well charge you between 25 - 35K THB, for an extension that costs 1,900 BHT.
95% of expats that use an agent, do so because they don't/can't meet the financial requirements. Although the extensions stamp is legitimate, they are obtained illegitimately, not sanctioned under the law and encourage corrupt methods.
That's what your high agents fees are paying for.

There are no financial requirements for 30/60 day extensions for tourism or visiting Thai spouse.

Faz

I don't understand how this works. Why would someone from India or Taiwan need to apply for a VoA if they're already exempt?

View attachment 11503
There are more than the two Countries you identified from those lists that have the option of either applying for a VOA which only permits a stay of 15 days and cannot be extended, but also have the option to now enter visa exempt, which permits a stay of 60 days, which can be extended.

There are differences between entering with a valid visa, as opposed to entering visa exempt in the eyes of Immigration.

Although visa exempt entries now permit a stay of 60 days, you'll find the Tourist visa, which also permits a stay of 60 days, will still be available through applicable Thai Embassies/Consulates.